New driver...but which one?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Golf bidder. I’ve used them in the past and never been disappointed. Bearing in mind your budget, you’ll be able to buy a better, although 2nd hand from GB.

My thoughts on American Golf; experienced good and bad. Depends on what you’re going in for and the staff on the day. Personally, I wouldn’t buy a driver from them.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I wouldn't go to AG,. They are only interested in selling the item with the greatest margin, and have allegedly used "fitting" to persuade reluctant customers into buying something unsuitable. There are plenty of driving ranges that sell kit and they may have second hand stuff for you.

If you are looking for low spin, one of the Callaway subzero heads might fit well. The Callaway have the best shaft fitting system, and you can adjust loft up or down independently from lie.

Also, don't be afraid to buy a head and shaft separately. There are a few head only sales on eBay and then you can find a shaft of your choosing.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@GeordieGolfer are you still up in the NE? If so have a wander to The Golf Factory at Killingworth. It is a second hand shop. Lots to look at and they have a simulator to try out the clubs on.

There is another second hand place south of the river, I think just through the tunnel, but I can't remember what it is called. Hopefully you may know it or someone else on here can help.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I wouldn't go to AG,. They are only interested in selling the item with the greatest margin, and have allegedly used "fitting" to persuade reluctant customers into buying something unsuitable. There are plenty of driving ranges that sell kit and they may have second hand stuff for you.

This is not true of all stores and fitters. My lad does some of the fittings at our local AG (Milton Keynes), and he definitely will not try and sell you anything, let alone sell you something that doesn't work for you. The other fitters in the MK store are decent fitters too. I appreciate not all stores and fitters are the same, but please don't tar them all with the same bush and assume they are all bad.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for reading...hopefully this isn't too waffly as I'm struggling with what to do so would like some advice and thoughts.

I'm in the market for a new driver after deciding my trusty i15 needs upgrading after being in my bag for over 10 years. I've enjoyed the driver but it's time for a change and the market has changed somewhat in this time, price now being a big factor. I've also lost a little confidence in the club so would like a fresh start. The club itself was bought after testing a few drivers at a local driving range; 9.5 degree with a stiff Flex Proforce 69 Series Shaft. This suited me for a long time and I enjoyed everything about it.

I have a stretched budget of £200 and after much research have got a few secondhand drivers in mind (from the brands Cobra, Taylormade and Srixon) but this is where it gets tricky. I've never been fitted but have always played a stiff shaft with a lower loft as I hit quite a high ball with a fairly quick swing. With modern clubs having the bonus of adjusting the loft, I'm tempted to stick with the 9.5 or go with the 10.5 knowing that I can change them slightly and play round with the settings on the driving range. What I'm struggling with is the shaft because even looking at the stiff shafts there are a massive choice - my main worry would be ballooning drives so without any science behind it am tempted by the low spinning stiff shafts (for example HZRDUS Black). I also play golf on quite a windy course so want a low flight and not my natural higher flight.

I've booked a free fitting at the local American Golf but will this help? Will they recommend the spec shaft I need or will it be more of a sales pitch? I'm assuming if I get a breakdown of my swing diagnostics I can match this to a shaft. Sadly, I can't stretch to a local pro fitter as my budget won't allow it.

The alternative is to buy drivers that catch my eye and return/sell on if I don't like them.

What are peoples thoughts?

Thank you :)

They should look at a number of factors. It depends how you approach it too, if you go with a view to trying anything and everything (baring in mind that some stock is not currently available to test - either old models no longer in stock, or new models not been received in stock yet), that should give you an idea of what loft/ flex etc. will work for you.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
This is not true of all stores and fitters. My lad does some of the fittings at our local AG (Milton Keynes), and he definitely will not try and sell you anything, let alone sell you something that doesn't work for you. The other fitters in the MK store are decent fitters too. I appreciate not all stores and fitters are the same, but please don't tar them all with the same bush and assume they are all bad.

I have personally had someone at AG try to feed me a load of crap (driver carry of 270 from a 100mph swings speed) based on tweaking the launch monitor, and an ex-manager confirmed to me it happened. AG is there to sell kit, and will sell the items that best meet their sales targets and incentives.

Obviously, different staff do this to varying degrees, so I do not assume they are all bad, but the average punter can't distinguish between people that do that stuff and others like your son who do not.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
I have personally had someone at AG try to feed me a load of crap (driver carry of 270 from a 100mph swings speed) based on tweaking the launch monitor, and an ex-manager confirmed to me it happened. AG is there to sell kit, and will sell the items that best meet their sales targets and incentives.

Obviously, different staff do this to varying degrees, so I do not assume they are all bad, but the average punter can't distinguish between people that do that stuff and others like your son who do not.
Yeah, but I bet you bought that driver! ???

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site

When it comes to sales, I think nearly every salesperson will have quota's and targets to meet, whether it's golf stores or used car salespersons. Generally a salesperson will lose their job eventually if they don't make the targets, hence at times they may be pressed to sell. That doesn't make it right to try and sell something just for the sake of selling it. I think there's likely a number of other professions that will also try and sell you stuff that you don't need or want, builders, plumbers and car servicing come to mind.

I agree with this. I know very little about car servicing, if the garage tell me the car needs an oojimaflipwhatsit replacing in order to pass an MOT, I'm going to have to trust him. Someone with more car experience may understand he's talking twaddle. Those less experienced in golf fitting may be in a similar boat, and will of course have to trust the fitter, and not necessarily know a good fitter from a bad. My point was really about the generalization that AG are bad, it would be like me saying don't go to Ford to buy a car, because I had a bad experience with a particular Ford garage 15 years ago. I'm sure there are some good/ OK Ford garages out there........... there must be....? :)

GeordieGolfer

Visit site
Thanks again everyone, this is proving to be a very interesting and helpful thread. I will try to reply to all the points above, apologies if I've missed anything :)

Callaway. I looked at these as I have the Rogue 3 wood which I bought blind online as it was cheap and, although it's early days, I really like it. I considered the Rogue SZ but wasn't sure about the forgiveness of it. Granted that I'm coming from an i15 so imagine that most things on the market might be a vast improvement on what I have now! I could be being overly cautious. I also used to use a Callaway when a junior 20+ years ago and loved it at the time as my first "proper" club.

The majority of the Pings available at Golfbidder for £200 are 6 or 7 years old. I appreciate this is the current market but that's a lot of money for something of that age. I would rather wait a little longer and get something slightly newer if going that route. I think I've talked myself back out of a Ping given the current market.

I looked in the Golf Factory but they didn't have anything in the condition that I wanted. I appreciate their stock will change all the time so could be worth another look.

So, what am I going to do? ...I don't know! I do feel a little further forward despite my hesitancy and confusion.

My new plan:
  • Cancel the club fitting with AG. I've read too many mixed reports and don't think it will give me what I want.
  • Revisit my list of brands and clubs. I still fancy looking at Srixon as think they offer decent value and get good reviews but I'm going to look at the Callaway SZ (again) and Cobra (F9 and Speedzone but these could be outside my budget). Those are the three brands I will stick with now. I'm going to stick with 2nd hand and hit Golfbidder which means I can take advantage of the 7 day returns option. It seems the most low risk way of doing it and I can test the club on familiar territory with my current driver for comparison.

Of course I have to wait until my Xmas credit card bill comes in next week before taking the plunge! Lets hope the weather holds.

GeordieGolfer

Visit site
Golfclubs4cash are worth a look too.
Longer trial period and free next day postage vis DPD

I have taken advantage of golfclubs4cash but had a bad start a couple of weeks back. I ordered a driver and when it turned up the shaft looked like it had been fitted with a hammer and chisel so I had to return it. To be fair, they refunded me very quickly and it was no hassle or cost to me. I will also include this site in my search.

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Thanks again everyone, this is proving to be a very interesting and helpful thread. I will try to reply to all the points above, apologies if I've missed anything :)

Callaway. I looked at these as I have the Rogue 3 wood which I bought blind online as it was cheap and, although it's early days, I really like it. I considered the Rogue SZ but wasn't sure about the forgiveness of it. Granted that I'm coming from an i15 so imagine that most things on the market might be a vast improvement on what I have now! I could be being overly cautious. I also used to use a Callaway when a junior 20+ years ago and loved it at the time as my first "proper" club.

The majority of the Pings available at Golfbidder for £200 are 6 or 7 years old. I appreciate this is the current market but that's a lot of money for something of that age. I would rather wait a little longer and get something slightly newer if going that route. I think I've talked myself back out of a Ping given the current market.

I looked in the Golf Factory but they didn't have anything in the condition that I wanted. I appreciate their stock will change all the time so could be worth another look.

So, what am I going to do? ...I don't know! I do feel a little further forward despite my hesitancy and confusion.

My new plan:
  • Cancel the club fitting with AG. I've read too many mixed reports and don't think it will give me what I want.
  • Revisit my list of brands and clubs. I still fancy looking at Srixon as think they offer decent value and get good reviews but I'm going to look at the Callaway SZ (again) and Cobra (F9 and Speedzone but these could be outside my budget). Those are the three brands I will stick with now. I'm going to stick with 2nd hand and hit Golfbidder which means I can take advantage of the 7 day returns option. It seems the most low risk way of doing it and I can test the club on familiar territory with my current driver for comparison.

Of course I have to wait until my Xmas credit card bill comes in next week before taking the plunge! Lets hope the weather holds.

I wouldn't cancel the fitting, it's a) free, and b) you can try a few different manufacturers to see how they feel.

I would have thought the Cobra F9 / Speedzone would be very reachable second-hand for about £200. If you can squeeze a bit more, you can pick up a new F9 for a tad less than £250 https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Cobra-KING-F9-S-Speedback-Golf-Driver.html#SID=32

GeordieGolfer

Visit site
I wouldn't cancel the fitting, it's a) free, and b) you can try a few different manufacturers to see how they feel.

I would have thought the Cobra F9 / Speedzone would be very reachable second-hand for about £200. If you can squeeze a bit more, you can pick up a new F9 for a tad less than £250 https://www.clubhousegolf.co.uk/acatalog/Cobra-KING-F9-S-Speedback-Golf-Driver.html#SID=32

That does look like a good buy but I've already applied some major man maths and budget creep so will have to stick to under £200.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The official Callawaypreowned Europe used site is really good I have bought loads of them and all have been nearly brand new.
Just make sure it’s not the US site.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site

My new plan:

Or better idea,
Dont cancel the american golf
Go to the fitting
Ask and take note of your average
Club head speed
Angle of attack
Club path
Face
Then come back here and we'll tell you what your likely to need ....

GeordieGolfer

Visit site
Hi all, thread update time...

Covid struck the household so I had to cancel my AG fitting. The timing of covid couldn't have been worse and I was like a bear with a sore head whilst locked down and desperate to sort a driver out!

I was going to rebook at AG but got chatting to the pro at our course this week and this is where things took an interesting turn. He is clearing out a load of old stock to make way for the new season's gear. He had a Taylormade SIM which is in mint condition and we did a deal on a little over £200. The club itself is a 9 degree with a fujikura ventus blue 6 shaft. I haven't had it fitted but had it out on the course for a few holes and am really liking it. I was going to wait for the weekend to test it properly but think I'm just going to buy it. My thinking is that I could easily sell it on if I change my mind.

I just need to convince the wife this is a good purchase as it's right at the top of my budget.