Do driver fittings work?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Fragger is another who will confirm that they work.
Whatever he was using before..honest to God, we and him had no idea where the ball was going...none at all
Anywhere from 45° left to 60+° right.....
He got fitted for G425 SFT....now mostly straight, slight fade and only the occasional monster bad one.
His swing hasn't changed
Personally I've not had a lot of success with fittings of any sort
I put it down to trying too hard in the fitting environment and, effectively, playing a different game to the one on the course.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
They work if the fitter is competent. Especially if current driver is an impulse buy off ebay:whistle:

It might mean telling you your current club is as good for you as a new one! I've experienced the above example of chopping it during a demo! Best walk away when that happens!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't mean the kind of quick fitting available in major stores, where they're generally just looking at what flex shaft your swing speed puts you in, I mean the kind of full fitting from places like TourX, Scottsdale etc. where they're looking at a wider variety of shafts, heads, lofts etc?

For those that have been for 'proper' fitting, did it make much of a difference? Was it worth the time and money?

Yes, I've been to Tour X and the new Scottsdsle place.

I'd say the service was better at Tour X. But in both occasions I walked away with a club (clubs) that gave me tighter dispersion and more cinsistency/distance.

What I will say is that if you're planning swing changes or to change something in your swing, is to do that first.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
I’d say prep for your visit. If you want more forgiveness then maybe a couple of lessons to tighten your game first. If you want more distance maybe so gym work and swing speed training. Both improvements could change what spec is built for you.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
5 years ago my wife said "why not get a new driver for your birthday?"
So off I went to Moor Park for a custom fitting in their swing studio.
Tried regular and stiff shafts, a variety of heads (M2, Epic, Ping LST & SFT).
They all performed pretty much the same as my then current Mizuno MX700.
I still use the Mizuno. I think it's about 10 years old.

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Utter cobblers ?
Given that there are some reasonable points raised in the post, this doesn't seem particularly helpful...

I think that the question itself is part of the problem. Do driver fittings work ? What does that even mean ?
If it means "can i get better numbers in a sterile environment where I hit one shot all the time with no consequences to my actions and instant feedback on every shot" then the answer's probably "yes".
If it means "is it the best way to hit better drives on a golf course". Then I suggest that :
1. Lessons&practice (yawn)
2. Physical training to improve speed, strengh and coordination (yawn)
3. Meticulous record keeping to identify appropriate tee shot strategies and identify areas for attention (yawn)
Would probably "work" better.
Ymmv etc etc

D

Deleted member 29109

Given that there are some reasonable points raised in the post, this doesn't seem particularly helpful...

I think that the question itself is part of the problem. Do driver fittings work ? What does that even mean ?
If it means "can i get better numbers in a sterile environment where I hit one shot all the time with no consequences to my actions and instant feedback on every shot" then the answer's probably "yes".
If it means "is it the best way to hit better drives on a golf course". Then I suggest that :
3. Meticulous record keeping to identify appropriate tee shot strategies and identify areas for attention (yawn)
Ymmv etc etc

All valid points. But, there is no point getting lessons with equipment that is completely inappropriate. Although your pro should tell you if it is.

phillarrow

Visit site
Yes, I've been to Tour X and the new Scottsdsle place.

I'd say the service was better at Tour X. But in both occasions I walked away with a club (clubs) that gave me tighter dispersion and more cinsistency/distance.

What I will say is that if you're planning swing changes or to change something in your swing, is to do that first.

That's exactly the plan. ?
I've had my first of six lessons with a view to then investing in new equipment. My driver was bought off the shelf and my irons were 'fitted' at American Golf six years ago.
My driver averages 245 yards, but with a carry of only 180-190. Its okay on the summer, but in the winter is kills me.
I'm hoping that the lessons will improve my launch angle and then, a correctly fitted driver will polish off the edges. ?

phillarrow

Visit site

Ymmv etc etc

All good points, but the question I was really asking was - even after you do those things, is it possible that a correctly fitted driver will still help?
The general consensus is yes and I do think it's a bit daft for someone to suggest that there's no 'evidence' or 'rationale' to prove it. I don't know much about golf shafts, but I do know that some are whippier in the tip, which can give much higher launch depending on the swing. That has to be a factor that helps some people whilst hindering others. On its own, this suggests it CAN help and provides a rationale for how and why. I just wondered what people's real life experiences were. ?

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I do think it's a bit daft for someone to suggest that there's no 'evidence' or 'rationale' to prove it.

Does that not just make it an article of blind faith then, and the question doesnt have any meaning ? Taking the question as genuine, and not that the only acceptable answer is "of course it works" which makes it a non question, then some back of the claim that it works is perfectly sensible.

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Why ? Have club fitters a theoretical, and proven in practice, evidence that what they offer will improve someone's golf ? I have missed that. Any authoritative links to that sort of backup ?
I had one with Precision Golf. It was part of a plan to get to single figures, which I achieved with shots to spare. The added confidence having a 'correctly fitted' Driver was very much part of that achievement. Non-quantifiable, but confidence is a seriously large chunk of golf!
I've no problem with others being sceptics though, as long as they don't rank fitters with alchemists.

phillarrow

Visit site
Does not just make it an article of blind faith then, and the question doesnt have any meaning ? Taking the question as genuine, and not that the only acceptable answer is "of course it works" which makes it a non question, then some back of the claim that it works is perfectly sensible.

I think I've deciphered your post to the point where I know what you're saying?

The rationale is that everyone's swing is different and so a shaft with a certain flex, a club with a certain swing weight, the flex point of the shaft etc. is unlikely to work in the same way for everyone. Finding the right set up for each individual, based on their own swing, should help. That's the theory and rationale and it's easy to understand.

The evidence bit is the reason I asked the question. What is the experience of those members who have had proper driver fittings? I've seen enough on YouTube to suggest that they can make a massive difference, but some of them seem too good to be true. Hence me asking the question.
Lots of those who have responded on this thread have given personal evidence of the benefits. What more evidence would you want, or think could be provided?

Boomy

Visit site
Why ? Have club fitters a theoretical, and proven in practice, evidence that what they offer will improve someone's golf ? I have missed that. Any authoritative links to that sort of backup ?

Because you’re a naysayer on every post which involves technological advances or things which can help/improve a game.

You prove to me it doesn’t work or help somebody? Show me categorical evidence that nothing works or will help? Lots of examples on here of it helping folk but you say no, it’s all made up. You commented utter cobblers about asking the fitter how many shots it would save when having a correctly fitted driver… you know they can’t answer that, and nobody would ask that but the data from trying different set ups should show averages of dispersion, distance, spin rates etc.

Boomy

Visit site

Ymmv etc etc

It wasn’t designed to be helpful. It was a direct response to the cobblers in the post and the fact the poster is a constant naysayer who dismisses anything involving advances in technology or using technology to improve.

Do driver fittings work? Yes.
Will they show great results for everyone? No.
Might you already be using the best driver for you? Yes.
Is trying it in a sterile environment a problem? No, because the idea is you swing the same playing as practising.

A good fitter should be able to identify as near as dammit the best set up for the golfer, so does it work? Or would a golfer be better buying completely blind off the shelf with no idea if the club is any good for them (or not)

Boomy

Visit site
I think I've deciphered your post to the point where I know what you're saying?

The rationale is that everyone's swing is different and so a shaft with a certain flex, a club with a certain swing weight, the flex point of the shaft etc. is unlikely to work in the same way for everyone. Finding the right set up for each individual, based on their own swing, should help. That's the theory and rationale and it's easy to understand.

The evidence bit is the reason I asked the question. What is the experience of those members who have had proper driver fittings? I've seen enough on YouTube to suggest that they can make a massive difference, but some of them seem too good to be true. Hence me asking the question.
Lots of those who have responded on this thread have given personal evidence of the benefits. What more evidence would you want, or think could be provided?

You could never ever provide enough evidence to stop the incessant naysaying of this one. It’s on every similar post, a load of wordy nonsense and naysaying.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Does that not just make it an article of blind faith then, and the question doesnt have any meaning ? Taking the question as genuine, and not that the only acceptable answer is "of course it works" which makes it a non question, then some back of the claim that it works is perfectly sensible.
Read my reply to your original post; that's the evidence you asked for. Is it a good statistical sample? No. Is it evidence that it worked for me. Yes. Will it work for everyone? No. Would it be wrong to say if it worked for me it won't work for at least one other person? No.

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Buy they can't answer the question about handicap reduction because that will be down to more than just the club(s) they're fitting someone for. A new driver won't stop me 3 putting or duffing chips, and new wedges won't stop me taking 3 off the tee every now and again.
My fitter asked me what I wanted from a new driver, and I replied more consistency and a reduction in slices. When he observed my swing, he noted that my path was out to in, but repeatable. What I did struggle with was squaring the face. The Ping g425 SFT has a 23g weight in the heel which encourages the head back to square.
No talk about spin or launch angles or any of that. Just an answer to what I asked for.
I now hit far more fairways and even the misses aren't huge. 3 off the tee and chipping out of trees is certainly reduced.
Has it improved my handicap? No.
Has it seen me unbeaten in 5 league matches and through the semi-final of mens and mixed pairs? Yes.
Has it given me far more confidence? Yes.
Good enough for me.
My mate was the same. Slices drives, the fitter said it's not swing path he just has trouble squaring the face at impact. Fitted him the same club, G425 SFT and now he regularly hits a manageable fade instead.

For me, driver fitting absolutely worked. Just over two years ago I did it, ended up with the G410 SFT, but crucially I think with a shaft option that I never would have dreamed of buying were it not for trying it out in the fitting and seeing how much straighter I hit it. Ever since then driving has been the best part of my game, and the most consistent part by far.

Mike79

Visit site
Went to a free Taylormade fitting, more so to get the stats on swing speed and spin with my existing set up, and to compare to what I would be if I bought new. Was told I could gain distance and accuracy with a higher spin and higher launch shaft in my own Titleist driver and to increase the loft, while I was also given the spec of the TM Stealth that worked best for me. A browse on facebook groups that evening and I landed a new Tensei AV Blue shaft and upped the loft from 9.5 to 10.25 deg... massive change out on the course at the weekend with the ball launching much nicer (higher and straighter).

So yes, the fitting (albeit a basic one) gave me the advice I needed to benefit, and didn't need a new driver. Might have got more by going elsewhere as they may have dialled me in more with a specific shaft, but I got one that helped me and I am happy with that