DMD's on phones - I wish they would sort it properly

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I trust you enforced the appropriate penalty then!

Or did you agree to waive it!

Had you continued to ignore the breach until the match was over (maybe it was when you raised the issue) then I believe no problem.

However, you should definitely get the message across that phones with DMDs are almost certain to not conform to the rules! I don't believe any do, and doubt they will.

We realised about 3 holes in that they were both using Iphones and decided to ignore the fact. I only mentioned the breach of rules on the 18th hole after we had won 8 and 7. They didn't agree that it was wrong and I just assured them that I was fully acquainted with the rule and that maybe they should check again.

Like most, they seemed to confuse, being agreed by local rule the use of DMD's, that switching off or not using the offending elements on the phone made their use ok and that everyone at their club used them in comps!I won't play them again so it's no skin off my nose if they refuse to believe the rule.

That seems the major problem, knowledge of the rules in some cases is so scant that even those who know more than most are often not believed.

Mungoscorner

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I am afraid that you will find that this reasoning holds no water. You play golf - you buy golf clubs - you may be a member of a golf club - you can afford a DMD.

Well my clubs are ancient, and i haven't bought anything equipment wise in years.
Being a member/paying a membership of a golf club along with comp fee's each week is one of the reasons why i have no spare cash.
A mortgage, wife, 3 kids, car, bills etc etc etc tends to bite into my budget. Its obvious that there are plenty of forummers who spend a fortune on there chosen pastime, i am not one of them, and i certainly cannot afford a DMD.
Either ban them all and revert to yardage books, or allow the use of phone apps alongside dedicated DMD's.

Jack_bfc

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
What a crass presumptious statement that is. (edit to add, ive just checked your green fees, now I understand). Thankfully Golf is far all and not just you lot!

You play golf therefore you have a spare £200...

My membership cost me £60. My clubs a few quid more...

My phone cost me less and the app that does the same as the garmins cost a few quid.

Actually I could afford it but dont see the need.

I will carry on using it as intended, a yardage indicator and scorecard. I will never gain advantage by using any other app on it at the same time. If thats bending the rules then tough.

You will never play at the club I play at anyway as it is far beneath you....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Well my clubs are ancient, and i haven't bought anything equipment wise in years.
Being a member/paying a membership of a golf club along with comp fee's each week is one of the reasons why i have no spare cash.
A mortgage, wife, 3 kids, car, bills etc etc etc tends to bite into my budget. Its obvious that there are plenty of forummers who spend a fortune on there chosen pastime, i am not one of them, and i certainly cannot afford a DMD.
Either ban them all and revert to yardage books, or allow the use of phone apps alongside dedicated DMD's.

Aye - and there's the rub. It's the use of phones and phone apps that's causing the problems.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
What a crass presumptious statement that is. (edit to add, ive just checked your green fees, now I understand). Thankfully Golf is far all and not just you lot!

My phone cost me less and the app that does the same as the garmins cost a few quid.

I will carry on using it as intended, a yardage indicator and scorecard. I will never gain advantage by using any other app on it at the same time. If thats bending the rules then tough.

Sorry jack_bfc - I am only repeating what I have been told by more than one forummer when I said I couldn't justify spending £200 on a DMD. They are not my words.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Greenfees in surrey are higher than blackpool, that's just a fact of life and nothing to do with SLH as a person or his social status.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We realised about 3 holes in that they were both using Iphones and decided to ignore the fact. I only mentioned the breach of rules on the 18th hole after we had won 8 and 7. They didn't agree that it was wrong and I just assured them that I was fully acquainted with the rule and that maybe they should check again.

That seems the major problem, knowledge of the rules in some cases is so scant that even those who know more than most are often not believed.

Seems Ok then.

Discussing and agreeing to allow use would mean both pair should be DQ-ed for agreeing to waive a Rule.

Agree re 'knowledge of the rules'. This is imply one of the more overt examples. Plenty of examples where things have been done wrongly just never get raised for various reasons, forgotten; because they were thought correct; from fear of consequences!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
My new app is telling me I am 35.4 miles from the centre of the first green I will be playing tomorrow morning!!!

And its a 'friendly' society type stableford comp. So I think i wil be able to use it without upsetting the 'comittee';)

Along with your 15 clubs high including cor driver you've started 4 4 3. Hope thats good with you. :rofl:

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I do wish that golfers using DMDs would stop being in denial about this and just admit that DMDs give them an advantage over players not using one. Just admit it.

What a load of cobblers...........

The ONLY advantage a DMD gives over a yardage book or yardage markers is that it saves time. That's all.
What does a DMD do?
It provides a distance from point A to point B.
What does a yardage book do?
It provides a distance from Point A to point B

Where's the difference, where's the advantage?
Everything a DMD can do, you can do with a yardage book or markers......but I can do them quicker.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
What a load of cobblers...........

The ONLY advantage a DMD gives over a yardage book or yardage markers is that it saves time. That's all.
What does a DMD do?
It provides a distance from point A to point B.
What does a yardage book do?
It provides a distance from Point A to point B

Where's the difference, where's the advantage?
Everything a DMD can do, you can do with a yardage book or markers......but I can do them quicker.

I've never understood while it's considered ok to to have a caddie who gives you distance information and a lot more, but not ok to use a DMD which just gives you distance.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I've never understood while it's considered ok to to have a caddie who gives you distance information and a lot more, but not ok to use a DMD which just gives you distance.

Ok - yes I could have a caddy pace out my course for every competition and yes I could mark up a yardage book from all points NSE and w - but that is not realistic for any competition on anuy one day at my own club. It just isn't. When did you last use a caddy for yardage advice round your own track? I don't get why there is denial that they give an advantage - of course they give an advantage or you wouldn't use the blessed things - forget the time-saving red herring guff. It is simply impractical for someone without a DMD to have the same information available.

I've never understood why some players consider it essential to have their DMD with them in a competition. Because it just isn't. I accept them as having benefit to players in casual and Open Comps. I consider they give an advantage to club members who have them in club competitions. No amount of telling me that I could wander about the place pacing out distances from here there and everywhere will change that.

Last edited:

Imurg

Visit site
Ok - yes I could have a caddy pace out my course for every competition and yes I could mark up a yardage book from all points NSE and w - but that is not realistic for any competition on anuy one day at my own club. It just isn't. When did you last use a caddy for yardage advice round your own track? I don't get why there isd denial that they give an advantage - of ouycrse they give an advantage. It is simply impractical for someone without a DMD to have the same information available.

I've never understood why some players consider it essential to have their DMD with them in a competition. Because it just isn't.

You've obviously never used a DMD and hae no idea as to what they can and can't do.

Your scenario from earlier - where you're 70 yards left with trees etc to go over - a DMD can give you the distance info in seconds.
You can pace out to the nearest point you can find on your strokesaver and get EXACTLY the same info - EXACTLY the same.

What is this advantage you keep spouting on about?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
You've obviously never used a DMD and hae no idea as to what they can and can't do.

Your scenario from earlier - where you're 70 yards left with trees etc to go over - a DMD can give you the distance info in seconds.
You can pace out to the nearest point you can find on your strokesaver and get EXACTLY the same info - EXACTLY the same.

What is this advantage you keep spouting on about?

Yes - I can pace it out. Always that - I can pace it out. Well maybe sometimes it's impractical or would be considered bad etiquette or delaying play to pace it out. What then? And if it's OK for me to have to pace out every shot why not my FC? Ah - that would slow things down of course.

It is against the rules of golf to use DMDs other than when a local rule permits. So you tell me why you should be PERMITTED to use a DMD in a club competition rather than have me always having to defend what the rules say on the grounds of fairness in competitions. That's all I'm doing.

And on the topic of this discussion - whilst there is clearly confusion and ignorance amongst many players about what a Local Rule permits - simple - make the Local Rule ion DMDs cover casual and friendly golf only. It doesn't have to exclude competitive golf because by default the rules do that. Where is your problem with that? It would at a stroke remove all possibility of unnecessary confusion, local rule breaking etc in club comps. And when things are nice and sorted - then extend the LR to cover comps.

North Mimms

Tour Winner
Visit site
My new app is telling me I am 35.4 miles from the centre of the first green I will be playing tomorrow morning!!!

And its a 'friendly' society type stableford comp. So I think i wil be able to use it without upsetting the 'comittee';)

I believe that is a mere Forum distance driver and a couple of 3 woods...

Imurg

Visit site
Yes - I can pace it out. Always that - I can pace it out. Well maybe sometimes it's impractical or would be considered bad etiquette or delaying play to pace it out. What then? And if it's OK for me to have to pace out every shot why not my FC? Ah - that would slow things down of course.

It is against the rules of golf to use DMDs other than when a local rule permits. So you tell me why you should be PERMITTED to use a DMD in a club competition rather than have me always having to defend what the rules say on the grounds of fairness in competitions. That's all I'm doing.

And on the topic of this discussion - whilst there is clearly confusion and ignorance amongst many players about what a Local Rule permits - simple - make the Local Rule ion DMDs cover casual and friendly golf only. It doesn't have to exclude competitive golf because by default the rules do that. Where is your problem with that? It would at a stroke remove all possibility of unnecessary confusion, local rule breaking etc in club comps. And when things are nice and sorted - then extend the LR to cover comps.

Many (most even) clubs have the LR in place - that is a fact
So to keep bringing the "DMD's are against the rules" is virtually irrelevent.

So I don't need to justify why I'm allowed to use because the rules (LR) allows me.

You have a problem with them so you have to make your case...

Where/what is the advantage ...?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Many (most even) clubs have the LR in place - that is a fact
So to keep bringing the "DMD's are against the rules" is virtually irrelevent.

So I don't need to justify why I'm allowed to use because the rules (LR) allows me.

You have a problem with them so you have to make your case...

Where/what is the advantage ...?

Groan - am I missing something here in thinking that there is a world of difference and practicality between using a DMD and pacing out distances whilst playing in a competition.

Also did I miss the rationale FOR using DMDs in competitions - especially when so many seemed confused about what is allowed and what is not? I seem to get a lot of 'why not?' and 'get over it' which are hardly rational arguments.

HawkeyeMS

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Rule 14.3 actually states...

Note: The Committee may make a Local Rule allowing players to use devices that measure or gauge distance only.

So claiming it is against the rules to use them is a very weak argument