CR-Par

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I believe that I will be going out on the same course, shooting the same scores and achieving the same score differentials.
So my objective of beating my 8th best score remains exactly the same and CR-Par having been used in my CH calculation makes no change whatsoever to this.

no, however, there is possibility that low handicaps may gain an extra shot on their CH and obviously then PH

Wabinez

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Er, doesn't it affect all handicaps in the same way then?
Asking for a friend, again.

not necessarily. My understanding is higher handicaps will gain mainly via slope. CR-Par may help lower index players in certain scenarios.

when I get a chance tomorrow, I’m going to throw it all in a spreadsheet and see how it shakes down with a comparison for my own course.

on balance, it’s a good change

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Your CH currently is Handicap Index X (Slope rating/113).
In future it will be Handicap Index X (Slope rating/113) + (Course Rating-Par) - this means that if you have one set of tees that is for example par 72 CR 69 - your current CH will be reduced by 3 shots, if you have another set of tees which is par 72 CR 73 your current CH will be increased by 1 shot.
This will all be calculated on the various Apps and on the boards but in essence and roughly if you get 36 points you will have played to your handicap whereas in the 1st example I gave you would currently need 39 points and in the second 35 points.

Will there be any rounding at any stage in the calculation, or do it all as one and round at the end?

wjemather

Visit site
not necessarily. My understanding is higher handicaps will gain mainly via slope. CR-Par may help lower index players in certain scenarios.

when I get a chance tomorrow, I’m going to throw it all in a spreadsheet and see how it shakes down with a comparison for my own course.

CR-Par affects everyone's Course Handicap equally.

wjemather

Visit site
So the new system which replaced the old system is now replaced by a newer system. 😳 which is better but the old system was better. 🤔😳👍
Same system; it's just an option (one of many available to the various handicapping authorities) that makes no difference to the fundamental accuracy of the system.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

It clearly affects CH equally across the field, what it does do is change the point where PH is affected by the 95%.

On my home course my CH is 10 so my PH is 10 so I gain an advantage on everyone in the field CH 11 or greater as they lose a shot or more

With the CR-Par calculation CH will be 11 so now I will be disadvantaged on everyone with CH 10 or lower

The point where this occurs could go up, down or remain constant on different courses, so you can’t say definitely lower hcappers will benefit or not.

Last edited:

Swango1980

Visit site
I believe that I will be going out on the same course, shooting the same scores and achieving the same score differentials.
So my objective of beating my 8th best score remains exactly the same and CR-Par having been used in my CH calculation makes no change whatsoever to this.

(Edit: Oh yes, if my CH changes, then there might be a change to the number of shot-holes impacting nett double bogey limit. Not a big deal, though)
Indeed. If you are the type who loves your score differentials, crack on as before.

And if you are the type who likes comparing how they've done against Par, then the CR-Par will be good for them.

Everyone's a winner.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Hmmm
CR 71.8
Par 72

Not going to be particularly noticeable methinks 🤔😁

Not necessarily, it will alter the number after the decimal point by 0.2 in the calculations so 20% of players will lose a shot (assuming there are an equal number of x.1’s, x.2’s, x.3’s etc) and the other 80% are unaffected.

The above is just my gut, not done the maths so could be wrong.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the new system which replaced the old system is now replaced by a newer system. 😳 which is better but the old system was better. 🤔😳👍
Yes just throw in another calculation and we can keep the old boards.
piss poor organisation.
have a World Handicap System but don’t do what the rest of the world do.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I think I get it now.

CR above par and everyone's CH moves up a bit.
CR below par and everyone's CH goes down a bit.
And this will make no difference to placings in competitions nor to score differentials nor to handicap assessments and adjustments.

Unless I'm wrong.

Currently my 8th best score is an 8-over par 78 on a par 70, CR 70.8, SL 132.
So I go out to shoot 77 or better.
Whether I play off 5 for 34 points or play off 6 for 35 points doesn't seem to be making any difference to me, since everyone's CH will be shifted the same way.

Last edited: