Course design you dislike.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
If the greens are receptive it is bearable, if rock hard it is almost impossible to stop a ball. If you are not hitting an 8, 9 or wedge but a long club it is impossible.
A green that slopes down from front to back is a rare feature on a golf course, for a good reason.
i think we have 3 all are short par 4's, two of them are drivable for big hitters. great holes and shows a 350 yarder can have teeth

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Unfortunately over 160 yards is not seen as a long par 3 these days. Over 200 is a long par 3 for me and I am not a fan in general.
i'd agree our shortest is over 160 off the white, with the new lbit on the back of 14, off the white a few weeka ago it was 234 to the flag, into a 3 club wind:LOL:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
i'd agree our shortest is over 160 off the white, with the new lbit on the back of 14, off the white a few weeka ago it was 234 to the flag, into a 3 club wind:LOL:

234 is crazy. 16 at Carnoustie is a horror too. Pin at the back and off the white tee it is about 260 yards. That to a narrow greens with sharp roll offs. :eek:

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
Not so much course design but course re-design. Where houses are built next to courses that have been there for over a hundred of years, people buy them thinking it's a lovely view then complain about golf balls in their garden. :rolleyes:
The course then has to be re-designed, or local rules changed, or dirty great nets put up to stop errant shots. All these are usually for the worse of the course.
You knew what you getting into when you bought the house. :mad:
There's a couple of courses near me where this has happened and you can see the warning signs all around the course.

Last edited:

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I love a long par 3*, it adds an added dimension to the game as it is mini risk/reward drivable hole.

I enjoy figuring out the best strategy and layup position and then deciding to go for it or not.

Long par 3s, when designed well, are my favourite hole type.

*over 160 yards

Try our 1st then. 232yds off the whites, downhill all the way, green slopes down from front to back, and boundary fence is just about 5 yards off the back of the green.

(In our "social comps" we run a book on who can hold the green. Out of a field of 72 or more, the "bookmaker" never has to pay out to more than 2 or 3 people)

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
A par 3 first hole. Just grates against me.

A par 3 to start with gaps between group bookings that would not allow the enough time for the group ahead to finish the hole. Thorpe Wood in Peterborough starts on a Par 3 and had gaps that would never allow a 3 ball to finish the hole before the next group got on the tee. Pretty much guaranteed queues and delays every weekend. May have changed now as not been there in a while.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I’m going against the flow here, but I’m ok with a long par 3, if there is a generous green and a bail out area. Effectively it’s a par 3.5 and gives higher handicappers the option to play it as a short par 4. 16th at Carnoustie springs to mind.

What’s wrong with hitting driver on a par 3 if it’s the right club?

I also like to see a long par 3 balanced out by a short par 3 and/or a short driveable par 4.
Personally I think when you're hitting driver on the majority of par 4s, then I like the par 3s to be a respite from that and a chance to hit something shorter off the tee, and try to hit the green. Having to hit driver again just takes away from that variety. I don't mind the odd long-ish one where I need to hit hybrid or 5 wood, but once it gets past 210 say, it doesn't really feel like a par 3 should feel, for me anyway.

Last edited:

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Try our 1st then. 232yds off the whites, downhill all the way, green slopes down from front to back, and boundary fence is just about 5 yards off the back of the green.

(In our "social comps" we run a book on who can hold the green. Out of a field of 72 or more, the "bookmaker" never has to pay out to more than 2 or 3 people)

That sounds pretty rubbish!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Something you maybe don’t realise is that where a marker pole had been erected as a guide for blind tee shots it is always set up for play from the men’s tees. Playing from the reds you need to bear that in mind and triangulate to try and guess the line to play on.
The line isn't always right on these anyway. Sometimes you aim for the pole, get it there or thereabouts then when you get there you realise it rolls off the right hand side and you should have aimed 10 yards left of the pole. So annoying.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Courses with a single line of equally spaced trees between two adjoining fairways........double that if they are Leylandii.:mad:

PS ..Do the golfers on here who complain that when visiting another course they must play off yellow tees allow visitors to their own course to play off the white tees.:unsure:

sunshine

Visit site
If the greens are receptive it is bearable, if rock hard it is almost impossible to stop a ball. If you are not hitting an 8, 9 or wedge but a long club it is impossible.
A green that slopes down from front to back is a rare feature on a golf course, for a good reason.

I agree, but that's part of the challenge. You have to factor in the roll, this might mean bouncing the ball short of the green and running it in. But the green contours have to work with the rest of the hole and the hazards in front of the green.

Old Fold Manor in Barnet has some of the most interesting greens of any course I've played. Harry Colt knew what he was doing. The course has 6 greens that predominantly slope front to back, 6 that slope back to front, and 6 with no discernable change in elevation from front to back. Keeps you on your toes.

sunshine

Visit site
Blind tee shots and marker poles...
The 5th hole at Brancaster has a blind tee shot over a dune. There are 2 marker poles which act like a goal to fire between. My mate nailed his drive straight down the middle between the poles, I pushed mine right of the poles. We walk down the fairway and find my ball sitting in the middle of the fairway and my mate's was lost in the left rough.
Maybe the members deliberately set the poles to wind up visitors and ensure a continuous supply of golf balls :LOL:

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think one of the common themes is that good holes offer playing options. A par-3 of over 200 yards which needs a precise long iron/wood or you are dead is a bad hole anyway you look at it. A 245 yard par-3 which has an apron for a lay up and chip on is a better hole, and the player who can pull off that length of tee shot gets their advantage over the lay up player. For most players, that sort of hole is a par3.5.

Likewise, the par 4 of 280 yards which is drivable or an easy chip on in the right conditions is another form of par 3.5.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
That sounds pretty rubbish!
I wouldnt quite say rubbish - but not good.

A year or two back we were having "issues" with the neighbour behind the fence (balls going over etc). We had the opportunity to change the hole - could have had a complete redesign to make what would have been a stunning opening hole. The membership completely rejected the idea and wanted to keep the hole as is. We now have a safety net behind the green - which of course doesnt improve it any...

sunshine

Visit site
I think one of the common themes is that good holes offer playing options. A par-3 of over 200 yards which needs a precise long iron/wood or you are dead is a bad hole anyway you look at it. A 245 yard par-3 which has an apron for a lay up and chip on is a better hole, and the player who can pull off that length of tee shot gets their advantage over the lay up player. For most players, that sort of hole is a par3.5.

Likewise, the par 4 of 280 yards which is drivable or an easy chip on in the right conditions is another form of par 3.5.

Exactly.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Drive-able Par 4's.

Actually it's a love/hate thing. When the course is empty I love them. Lots of risk/reward and it feels so good if you can pull it off.

However, when the course is busy I hate them. Every group has someone who has to have a go, so now it has to be treated as a par 3. Big wait on the tee for him to fluff the drive (and lets be honest, far more are fluffed than hit green). So a short par 4 that should be a quick hole takes as long to play as a decent par 5.