Course design you dislike.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
But in your example, yes, all par 3s over 150 get a bit samey for you, but any par 3 under 140 is a wedge for a lot on here. Samey, but in a different way.

Completely different.

I had a 200 yard par 3 other day took driver landed 6 foot.. very rare to happen

Where as how many on here using a wedge would have that happen often?

Par 3s under 150 make it interesting for everyone

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Completely different.

I had a 200 yard par 3 other day took driver landed 6 foot.. very rare to happen

Where as how many on here using a wedge would have that happen often?

Par 3s under 150 make it interesting for everyone
140 yard wedge ‘to six feet’ for ‘many’ on here - will happen yes - but ‘often’ I’d doubt it for forum posters

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Except may one ................................ at 437 yards!

A novelty hole, not a serious hole.
Did you see the nick of the tee?
Not sure why Carnoustie 16th would be regarded as ‘crap’ - prevailing wind is behind you so it will play shorter than the 235 off the yellows that most people will play it from - if I’ve got to play a long par 3 then I’d have no problem with this one, it’s pretty fair for all levels of golfers

When I played there it was 250 to the pin. Cross wind to a narrow green. Narrow green, especially at the front, with big roll offs. Subsequently next to no chance to get up and down.
A crap par 3, no?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
A novelty hole, not a serious hole.
Did you see the nick of the tee?

When I played there it was 250 to the pin. Cross wind to a narrow green. Narrow green, especially at the front, with big roll offs. Subsequently next to no chance to get up and down.
A crap par 3, no?
I’ve got up and down from off the green (was short and left off the tee) on the 16th and I’m hardly a short game wizard, I’ve also not done so, it’s a hard 3, relatively simple four - even for a short hitter - Carnoustie has a good variety amongst its par 3s.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But in your example, yes, all par 3s over 150 get a bit samey for you, but any par 3 under 140 is a wedge for a lot on here. Samey, but in a different way.
You wont be using a wedge on the tee of any of the other 14 holes on the course though would you? Part of my point is that why make the par 3 tee shot similar to the other 14 tee shots.

Equally, if we extend your argument, are par 5's not all samey? The point of a mix is exactly that, mix it up.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You wont be using a wedge on the tee of any of the other 14 holes on the course though would you? Part of my point is that why make the par 3 tee shot similar to the other 14 tee shots.

Equally, if we extend your argument, are par 5's not all samey? The point of a mix is exactly that, mix it up.

But having all par 3s at under 140 isn't mixing it up, they are all short, and a flick with something.

Having one at 120, then 150, 180, and 210 is mixing it up.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
But having all par 3s at under 140 isn't mixing it up, they are all short, and a flick with something.

Having one at 120, then 150, 180, and 210 is mixing it up.
It's mixing up with short irons, same as par 4's may mix up with driver, 3 wood, hybrid, long iron off the tee. It's certainly mixing more than par 5's which will nearly always be driver off the tee.

Equally if designed well you may play very different shots into each one. Raised tee, level tee, water, surrounded by bunkers, raised green, open front etc. All require different shots.

I suspect this is one we are just going to see differently ?

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site
There is a blind par 3 at my course. I like it. Having this hole prevents us from holding too many County events, as elite players don't like it. More playing time for the members then.

Is this West Herts? It's blind from the tee, but you can walk up and see where the flag is (or when playing previous hole), so I think it works ok as a challenge.

I hate blind holes where you have absolutely no idea where you are hitting.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Is this West Herts? It's blind from the tee, but you can walk up and see where the flag is (or when playing previous hole), so I think it works ok as a challenge.

I hate blind holes where you have absolutely no idea where you are hitting.

On most holes I have absolutely no idea where I'm hitting it! :(