Course and slope rating - anybody know the easier and harder courses in the UK?

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm guessing there is probably a website but interest to know which courses they've played or in their area they would consider the easier and harder courses and whether the ratings tie up of yellow and whites?

Quite intrigued that WHS may mean from a low to mid teen handicap I could get two shots on a hole or two at a difficult course and yet play to single figures maybe at an easy course. Will really change the mindset i expect when you tee off as you probably just think of normal handicap when playing now. I know SSS is always there but I've got to admit it's rare i check that or align expectations to it at the start.

D

Deleted member 21258

When I look before, the lowest one I could find that I had played was Painswick Golf Club, off yellow slope rating was 105 and 110 whites.

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Highest i believe is Hoylake - 152

I'd gain 7 shots (10 more than current handicap) moving back from yellows to championship tees there for a course playing 779 yards longer. If clubs let you, i wonder whether you'd make a strategic decision to play it harder - I guess some though carries but likewise i'd have an extra shot to play with on a number of par 4s which you'd potentially be hitting in with a short iron for 3rd rather than mid-long iron for 2nd.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
In Scotland I saw a list that showed Southerness as the hardest. It is certainly the hardest (& one of the best) I have played. Harder than Carnoustie where it is the end that makes it so hard.

D

Deleted member 3432

In Scotland I saw a list that showed Southerness as the hardest. It is certainly the hardest (& one of the best) I have played. Harder than Carnoustie where it is the end that makes it so hard.

I have seen the slope listed at 131 off the white and 133 blue.

However my 4.7 index would see me playing off 9 at Southerness according to the calculator so now confused.

I agree that it is one tough course but no more difficult than my own so I can't see why I would get a few extra shots?

D

Deleted member 3432

The slope is not a simple measure of the difficulty.

Ok I'm with you up to here. Using the Southerness example above and compare to my course Silloth on Solway.

If we use Silloth blue tees and Southerness white tees since the yardages are with 50 yards and the course rating is identical at 72.6.

Silloth slope is 136 and Southerness slope is 131. I would be playing off 6 at Silloth and 9 at Southerness :unsure:

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Although not UK, but I played Ko'Olau in Hawaii in 2000. It had the highest slope in America at that time. Showing online now as slope of 153. It was nutty-tough, especially with rented clubs! What is highest in UK?

I can sleep at night thinking that "as near as dam it" slope index is indicative of difficulty..... in the same way as when dear old Phil shouted at Rolls of Monmouth on Tuesday, "has it gone in the hazard?" I just said yes... I could have (according to some) been justified in beating him to death with my putter for not saying "penalty area!" :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok I'm with you up to here. Using the Southerness example above and compare to my course Silloth on Solway.

If we use Silloth blue tees and Southerness white tees since the yardages are with 50 yards and the course rating is identical at 72.6.

Silloth slope is 136 and Southerness slope is 131. I would be playing off 6 at Silloth and 9 at Southerness :unsure:
Slope Ratings indicate the “measurement of the relative playing difficulty of a course and tees for players who are not scratch golfers, compared to scratch golfers”.

D

Deleted member 3432

Slope Ratings indicate the “measurement of the relative playing difficulty of a course and tees for players who are not scratch golfers, compared to scratch golfers”.
Yes, so why am I receiving 3 shots more on a course with a lower slope rating where the course rating is exactly the same?

Obviously I am not a scratch golfer.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes, so why am I receiving 3 shots more on a course with a lower slope rating where the course rating is exactly the same?

Obviously I am not a scratch golfer.

For two courses with the same Course Rating but different Bogey Ratings the Slope will be different. The slope is an indication of how much more difficult it is for a non scratch player. ie the difference between CR and BR
CR is the score a scratch player would get. BR is the score a 20-24 capper would score.

D

Deleted member 3432

For two courses with the same Course Rating but different Bogey Ratings the Slope will be different. The slope is an indication of how much more difficult it is for a non scratch player. ie the difference between CR and BR
CR is the score a scratch player would get. BR is the score a 20-24 capper would score.
Again the bogey rating is slightly higher at Silloth.

I understand what you are saying but the the course handicap calculator keeps saying I would get an extra 3 shots. It makes absolutely no sense.