Course and slope rating - anybody know the easier and harder courses in the UK?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
One the highest I’ve seen.
Guess you won't be getting as many shots when playing away from there in future.
Just looked at the course that the magazines like to compare BL with, Remedy Oak, and that's 136.
Locally, nothing comes close does it? Camberley Heath 135, Berkshire 131, West Hill 126, Windlesham 133, North Hants 122

I think the reason for the high slope at BL compared to courses that would seem similar is that there are more holes where the good player can play them easily, like the 13th, but where higher handicappers can find a lot of trouble the better player doesn't even see. For example, it is about 160 yard carry over the initial section of water. Some of the senior players won't try to carry it if the wind is against, so they lob a ball 80 yards down towards the ladies tee and play their second from there. Then there is a section of water to the right of the fairway and a shot tailing off to the right can find it. The scratch player hits a 4 iron off the tee and a wedge or blasts a driver and chips on.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Ok I'm with you up to here. Using the Southerness example above and compare to my course Silloth on Solway.

If we use Silloth blue tees and Southerness white tees since the yardages are with 50 yards and the course rating is identical at 72.6.

Silloth slope is 136 and Southerness slope is 131. I would be playing off 6 at Silloth and 9 at Southerness :unsure:

Course rating yes but how do the pars compare?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think he might be making the point that the difference between course rating and par is a measure of difficulty. A course with a course rating of 72 and a par of 69 is probably a more challenging course than one with course ratings and par of 72.

HarrogateHacker

Visit site
That's Slope, which doesn't necessarily equate to Hardest - simply defining how much harder it is for a Bogey Player than a Scratch one!

And I believe The Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa is 155 (the max!) but can't find it on USGA site, though that's where the 155 figure came from.

So, as always, a definition of 'Hardest' is required - Slope perhaps or, more likely, greatest value of 'CR minus Par'!
Think the hotchkin is 151 off the whites with course rating of 74.4, the club name is something like the national golf centre, which is why it’s tricky to find

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
At 24/85 I get 3 shots around 9 holes at the par 3.

That makes a lot of sense as 30 is generally been my target for a while and what I score if I am playing half decent. Going over 30 is a sure sign I have not played well enough.

Of my last 8 rounds there I have been over 30 just once but that jumps up to half for my last 20. My app calculated index is 15.1