Course and slope rating - anybody know the easier and harder courses in the UK?

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Bearwood Lakes off the whites (usual competition tee, 6480 yards) has a par and course rating of 72 and a slope of 142. That suggests it is fairly playable for the scratch golfer but proportionately harder for the bogey golfer.

woofers

Medal Winner
Visit site
Bearwood Lakes off the whites (usual competition tee, 6480 yards) has a par and course rating of 72 and a slope of 142. That suggests it is fairly playable for the scratch golfer but proportionately harder for the bogey golfer.
One the highest I’ve seen.
Guess you won't be getting as many shots when playing away from there in future.
Just looked at the course that the magazines like to compare BL with, Remedy Oak, and that's 136.
Locally, nothing comes close does it? Camberley Heath 135, Berkshire 131, West Hill 126, Windlesham 133, North Hants 122

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Ok I'm with you up to here. Using the Southerness example above and compare to my course Silloth on Solway.

If we use Silloth blue tees and Southerness white tees since the yardages are with 50 yards and the course rating is identical at 72.6.

Silloth slope is 136 and Southerness slope is 131. I would be playing off 6 at Silloth and 9 at Southerness :unsure:
The answer is that Par at Southerness is 69 (CR = 73.3, so +4 cf Par) while Silloth CR is 'only' 1 over Par. so while there's not a lot of difference in Slope between the 2, there's a large (oh look..3 strokes) difference difference in Course Rating. I'd predict that SSS difference is also about 3 shots between the 2.

Remember that Playing Handicap resolves Course Handicap to Par, not CI!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Highest i believe is Hoylake - 152
That's Slope, which doesn't necessarily equate to Hardest - simply defining how much harder it is for a Bogey Player than a Scratch one!

And I believe The Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa is 155 (the max!) but can't find it on USGA site, though that's where the 155 figure came from.

So, as always, a definition of 'Hardest' is required - Slope perhaps or, more likely, greatest value of 'CR minus Par'!

D

Deleted member 3432

The answer is that Par at Southerness is 69 (CR = 73.3, so +4 cf Par) while Silloth CR is 'only' 1 over Par. so while there's not a lot of difference in Slope between the 2, there's a large (oh look..3 strokes) difference difference in Course Rating. I'd predict that SSS difference is also about 3 shots between the 2.

Remember that Playing Handicap resolves Course Handicap to Par, not CI!

We have kept being told par means nothing..

Sss is the same at both at 73 and course rating is I believe exactly the same at both.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
One the highest I’ve seen.
Guess you won't be getting as many shots when playing away from there in future.
Just looked at the course that the magazines like to compare BL with, Remedy Oak, and that's 136.
Locally, nothing comes close does it? Camberley Heath 135, Berkshire 131, West Hill 126, Windlesham 133, North Hants 122
See my post above.

My Club is pretty similar, though in a slightly different way. While CR is Par+1 and Slope is 141. So Bogey Rating is 0.5 higher than BL.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
We have kept being told par means nothing..

Sss is the same at both at 73 and course rating is I believe exactly the same at both.
And there lies 'your problem'!

Congu measures against SSS/CSS (so indeed 'Par means nothing'); WHS measures/calculates against Par - so Par is important/essential!

Checking out Rating database, at S'ness a Bogey golfer is 'expected' to score 31 over Par (cf a Scratch Golfer's 3 over) while at Silloth the scores are 24/25 (24.5) cf level Par (71.8) for a Scratch player. From that, Southerness definitely looks 'the harder' course!

Last edited:

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
That's Slope, which doesn't necessarily equate to Hardest - simply defining how much harder it is for a Bogey Player than a Scratch one!

And I believe The Hotchkin at Woodhall Spa is 155 (the max!) but can't find it on USGA site, though that's where the 155 figure came from.

So, as always, a definition of 'Hardest' is required - Slope perhaps or, more likely, greatest value of 'CR minus Par'!

You need to search under The National Golf Centre as the club name...I didnt find it when I was looking the other day until I widened my search to Lincolnshire and just scrolled down the list of clubs!!!

D

Deleted member 3432

And there lies 'your problem'!

Congu measures against SSS/CSS (so indeed 'Par means nothing); WHS measures against Par - so Par is important/essential!

Ah, thank you.

I wish the 'experts' had stopped brain washing us on the par means nothing mantra over the previous weeks/months/years.

Going to need all of those extra shots next time I'm at Southerness ?

Just a pity that although its 8 miles as the crow flies from Silloth it's another 60 odd by road.

D

Deleted member 3432

I am sure you know the answer as you are using the two different means of calculation to get your Playing Handicaps at the two courses. So what really is your point.

If I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question, genuinely confused although hopefully Foxholer has put me right.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
You need to search under The National Golf Centre as the club name...I didnt find it when I was looking the other day until I widened my search to Lincolnshire and just scrolled down the list of clubs!!!
Thanks - or Woodhall Spa as 'City'
And I was slightly out. Hotchkin is 151 (off Whites). It's the Back 9 that's 155!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
It may have helped if they had added the caveat that par will mean something under WHS ?
It's probably buried in a document somewhere!

Having experienced the USGA system during a couple of visits home to NZ, the difference is pretty opbvious.