Could club memberships increase?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Where I play all the members that did not renew by the first of April are not being allowed to rejoin at the present due to the restricted number of tee times so I doubt that we would entertain completely new members.

All societies and Opens have been cancelled.
snap!

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Are any Clubs planning to run Comps & how are they going to be managed?

We will be discussing this at our committee meeting tomorrow.

New rules for scorecards were introduced before lock down - player to mark there own card, no markers signature and marker to only verbally agree the score. Intelligent Golf have extended their app so scores can be entered by phone and a photo of the card submitted.

We had already cancelled all comps up to July.

One of the problems at the moment with WHS on the horizon is the ban on submitting supplementary scores.

Blakey

Medal Winner
Visit site
As a Nomad myself, i did concider joining somewhere if i was to be unable to play any other way, but a few of the courses local to me are taking green fees.

i would imagine quite a few clubs would be glad of the extra revenue that us Nomads bring.

Wolf

Visit site
Aye - the kids will remember with great fondness their wet week in Scarborough or Skeggie :)
Still be a better memory for them as time with dad than dad not being there because he was on a golf course ??‍♂️

But that's irrelevant at moment its money saved and i do believe like GB72 that subs likely to increase and I won't be getting VFM

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It massively affects me probably more mentally than physically to be honest as its always been my outlet, its one of the few places i can truly switch off and just focus on being in the moment and stress free..
I've got some good friends that compete that have always said I should give it a go, my low centre of gravity seems to help a lot?
Where I work now also helps as means I have access to a full studio focused on competition style lift work.

You may mock but I do have a set of Olympic rings that I can use in garage or gym. Unbelievable bit of kit for shoulder mobility work and body weight training.
Not, mocking, I'm not SR :cool:.... a genuine question..... a very tough piece of apparatus.... only surpassed by the pommel. :eek::eek:

Wolf

Visit site
Not, mocking, I'm not SR :cool:.... a genuine question..... a very tough piece of apparatus.... only surpassed by the pommel. :eek::eek:
Got to admit that's made me chuckle ?

Bloody horrible bit of kit to start with and made me realise how bad my shoulder mobility was after years of carrying & lifting weight, depsite the strength i had. Bought them a couple years ago and my mobility has hugely improved which has helped lots of areas improve.

They certainly made me realise how hard the gymnast work. I've tried teaching the wife but she has absolutely no coordination at all...

Diamond

Visit site
Our club on Monday tweeted that they had 2 enquiries about membership.
He nearest course to me (9 hole) tweeted that they signed up 8 new members today.
There are other 9 hole courses nearby that are charging 10 quid for guests so still good value for nomads.a

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A club near me has put an email out saying that any members who didn't renew will not be allowed back in next year until they've repaid this years arrears.

???

What they've done is guaranteed the loss of these people for life in my opinion. While i appreciate that some members maybe "chancers" there will be genuine cases who couldn't afford to pay during the C19 crisis.

For me loyalty needs to go two ways. This club has acted rather brashly in my opinion. Its not at full capacity either.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
We can sign in visitors as of this coming Monday only restriction is Saturday when the comps usually are taking place. Members are getting weekly and daily updates from the club as things progress, always being mindful that things could go the other way.

Big_G

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Our club gained 4 new members the day of re-opening

2 moved from other clubs, the other 2 had never been members of a club before

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
There's some South Wales Golf Groups on Facebook where the Nomads are going bananas. We are only allowed to play in singles here (distanced or not!) or in 2 balls with household members. SO that's put huge pressure on tee times for when we can start playing on Monday. There won't be enough time for members to play, so no green fees allowed are being accepted.

I suspect some will try and joining a club, some will just not play at all till this mess sorts itself out.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
From attending the meeting to agree fees for this year at my former club, I know that there is a dependence on societies during the week and a lesser reliance on clubhouse takings. The lack of guests and societies will be the big hit.

We've conservatively estimated no societies will cost us £80K this year in lost revenue :cry:

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
We've conservatively estimated no societies will cost us £80K this year in lost revenue :cry:

Which probably has to be passed onto the members, then you have bar losses on top of that. Next years fees could be eye watering for some.

£80k divided by say 600 members puts £133.33 onto your fees alone if the club sets out its operating costs as including that ball park figure.

Worrying

drewster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Our place gained 8 new members on the day of reopening but admittedly has lost a few too. The product, ie the course, is in wonderful condition and as others have said to play in in two balls at 10 minute intervals is fantastic. Can't wait till tomorrow morning, with our whats app roll up !! I really hope they don't increase memberships again especially for existing members who have remained loyal . I do think guest green fees might and should go up by 50% though.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Our place gained 8 new members on the day of reopening but admittedly has lost a few too. The product, ie the course, is in wonderful condition and as others have said to play in in two balls at 10 minute intervals is fantastic. Can't wait till tomorrow morning, with our whats app roll up !! I really hope they don't increase memberships again especially for existing members who have remained loyal . I do think guest green fees might and should go up by 50% though.

hope you dont have much local competition if you put up green fees 50%!

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Which probably has to be passed onto the members, then you have bar losses on top of that. Next years fees could be eye watering for some.

£80k divided by say 600 members puts £133.33 onto your fees alone if the club sets out its operating costs as including that ball park figure.

Worrying
And if clubs start hiking subs by those sort of amounts they may not have enough members renew to make ends meet.
Clubs need to be careful.
Theres little point in bowing to the members now, giving rebates or extending subs periods if, in a year's time, they're going to, effectively, take it all back and more besides.
Yes, the clubs have to watch their books but they need the members on their side too.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I don't think it's a game changer.

Perhaps a number of regular players may elect to show some loyalty to a club / course if they thought it was otherwise going to close. But in the main, a lot of places will be on the breadline and I'm sure there will be a good number of closures by this time next year.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And if clubs start hiking subs by those sort of amounts they may not have enough members renew to make ends meet.
Clubs need to be careful.
Theres little point in bowing to the members now, giving rebates or extending subs periods if, in a year's time, they're going to, effectively, take it all back and more besides.
Yes, the clubs have to watch their books but they need the members on their side too.

I 100% agree. However clubs who may have banked on the £80k are now in serious poo. That is not an insignificant sum and potentially pays three greenkeepers their wages for the year?

The industry could be in its knees very quickly.