Could club memberships increase?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
No visitors, members guests or societies for a month. We are fortunate in not having a huge financial dependency on that income. Might change of course.

From attending the meeting to agree fees for this year at my former club, I know that there is a dependence on societies during the week and a lesser reliance on clubhouse takings. The lack of guests and societies will be the big hit.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Why the need to stop visitors? Surely they bring in much needed cash.
This is the case with our Proprietary Club though Members can book 14 days ahead, visitors just 7. So there are not many slots for them so the Club is getting lots of enquiries to join on a 6month deal. We've just heard that we'll get our Membership extended by 1 month next year.... end of April rather than end of March... fair do's I'd say.

Wolf

Visit site
Sadly an opportunity for elements in some clubs who want high fees and a low, selective membership to step in. Again, just me being cynical but the rumours are that there were elements at my old club who were looking for just that and this may be their opportunity to get it. I am another who was glad that I let my membership lapse in March and this was a decision made before covid as I was not playing enough to justify it. Got a feeling that I will take this year off and reassess next year when I can see the fallout from this all. That said, my wife is also feeling less keen on her powerlifting (she was building up for 2 comps that are cancelled, she is not likely to lift this year and obviously cannot train or meet her coach at the moment) and is going to be taking a massive step backwards if she goes back to it so we may find something that we can both do.
Same here I had already served noticed that I was allowing mine to lapse before Covid as knew I wouldn't have as much opportunity this year depsite not working weekends anymore due to a change in other priorities and wasn't making the most of being a member any more. I definitely won't be returning this year and way I feel at moment I'd be surprised if I do next year. My wife career change is massively on hold due to their recruitment process requires her to do a final physical test which can't be done as all gyms Civilian and RAF are closed until further notice (at least July). Been tempted to for sometime to take up tennis, we literally live 2min walk from our local clubs courts and something we can do together.

Once gyms reopen I may even look at doing some competing which have always been interested in at least giving a go once. Plus it interlaces better with work so I save money and time which I can put back into family activities.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Same here I had already served noticed that I was allowing mine to lapse before Covid as knew I wouldn't have as much opportunity this year depsite not working weekends anymore due to a change in other priorities and wasn't making the most of being a member any more. I definitely won't be returning this year and way I feel at moment I'd be surprised if I do next year. My wife career change is massively on hold due to their recruitment process requires her to do a final physical test which can't be done as all gyms Civilian and RAF are closed until further notice (at least July). Been tempted to for sometime to take up tennis, we literally live 2min walk from our local clubs courts and something we can do together.

Once gyms reopen I may even look at doing some competing which have always been interested in at least giving a go once. Plus it interlaces better with work so I save money and time which I can put back into family activities.
Pommel, high-bar & rings?:eek::eek:

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site

Amazing how much I miss the gym bearing in mind how much I hate it. Hoping that the next set of relaxed measures may allow small, outdoor PT sessions. If you are looking at doing some competitive lifting, there are plenty of good, qualifying comps in the area. My wife was due to lift in a comp in Horncastle as a qualifier for the British Masters (which is also held locally)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
This is the case with our Proprietary Club though Members can book 14 days ahead, visitors just 7. So there are not many slots for them so the Club is getting lots of enquiries to join on a 6month deal. We've just heard that we'll get our Membership extended by 1 month next year.... end of April rather than end of March... fair do's I'd say.
Due to the above difficulties, I'm guesting Slowhand & Kellfire in the next few weeks. :D:D
Driving range & extensive practise areas are open as well as the Pro-shop & our 12 hole Par 3.......... just FootGolf shut which was a big money-earner for them.

Wolf

Visit site
Amazing how much I miss the gym bearing in mind how much I hate it. Hoping that the next set of relaxed measures may allow small, outdoor PT sessions. If you are looking at doing some competitive lifting, there are plenty of good, qualifying comps in the area. My wife was due to lift in a comp in Horncastle as a qualifier for the British Masters (which is also held locally)
It massively affects me probably more mentally than physically to be honest as its always been my outlet, its one of the few places i can truly switch off and just focus on being in the moment and stress free..
I've got some good friends that compete that have always said I should give it a go, my low centre of gravity seems to help a lot?
Where I work now also helps as means I have access to a full studio focused on competition style lift work.
Pommel, high-bar & rings?:eek::eek:
You may mock but I do have a set of Olympic rings that I can use in garage or gym. Unbelievable bit of kit for shoulder mobility work and body weight training.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I can see it the other way in that I can invisage significant increases in subscription costs next year as clubs try to sort their finances out. Trouble is, I can also see green fees increasing for the same reason. I know I am all doom and gloom but I can see golf just becoming more expensive.
As we ourselves are 2 ball only, 10 mins apart and booking only they have said no visitors or guests until normal service is resumed.
I can fully get that as the current situation means capacity for the membership isn't there with a max of 3 games in any 7 day period (fair enough). To then allow visitors or guests would just create mayhem for the members as things are. Because of this, I can see membership fees increasing which may cause many to re-examine their financial state.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
As we ourselves are 2 ball only, 10 mins apart and booking only they have said no visitors or guests until normal service is resumed.
I can fully get that as the current situation means capacity for the membership isn't there with a max of 3 games in any 7 day period (fair enough). To then allow visitors or guests would just create mayhem for the members as things are. Because of this, I can see membership fees increasing which may cause many to re-examine their financial state.

With the comments on the other post as to the HSE having golf club compliance as part of their mandate apparently, I would remain concerned about visitors and the lack of sanctions available to clubs for any breach of current regulations. Members can be suspended or, at worst, removed from the club. All that you can do with a visitor is remove them from the course .

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yep, JOG. They have been fantastic with my daughter in their coaching scheme since she was 8, hugely welcoming of me, a non-member, as I support her through that, regularly gently encouraging me to join but ok when I've said no. She became a proper junior (but is still pre-handicap) at the start of this year, and the opportunities it has given her already are massive, and the club seem to really love having the children around. Blue tees for them on one of the courses, never once have I heard anyone complain about being behind them etc, no limitations on play once they have their official handicaps and so on.

A few years ago, they hosted qualifying for the Women's Open, when it was at Woburn. I took her up to watch. We found a space in a packed car park, and as we got out the car saw the blazered and tied Retd Col Blenkinsopp (not his real name and title) marching up towards us. Uh oh, I thought, what have I done. Completely ignores me, kneels down to talk to my daughter, with massive smile asks her if she's here to see the golf, points her in the direction of some of the groups playing and some nice places to watch, and tells her where to go to make me buy her an ice cream. Club members around the course that day as volunteer stewards, scorers, markers, spotters etc all had exactly the same attitude, and treated her really well. Actually as did some of the players, including one who we saw bogey the last to miss qualifying by one shot. For all the rubbish (and some truth) about Golf being stuck in its ways, archaic and exclusive, I bet there are loads of stories like that.

Great endorsement of the club. Well done to them.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
With the comments on the other post as to the HSE having golf club compliance as part of their mandate apparently, I would remain concerned about visitors and the lack of sanctions available to clubs for any breach of current regulations. Members can be suspended or, at worst, removed from the club. All that you can do with a visitor is remove them from the course .
It's not a real concern here as they have marshalls/starter who you have to confirm your tee booking with on arrival to the area around the 1st tee. You don;t get to play otherwise.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Are any Clubs planning to run Comps & how are they going to be managed?

Having chatted to our Captain Corona toady there are no plans for any comps until restrictions are lifted to permit 3 or 4 balls and so they haven't looked any further into it

From attending the meeting to agree fees for this year at my former club, I know that there is a dependence on societies during the week and a lesser reliance on clubhouse takings. The lack of guests and societies will be the big hit.

We aren't overly reliant on societies to the degree where we only have a few regular and returning societies per year and definitely far fewer than some of our neighbouring clubs but of course not having any, or any club matches will have a financial hit as will not having a regular income over the bar and kitchen. Whether that then impacts our green fees for next year remains to be seen but as we only renewed in March plenty of time to work that out once we know how big a hole we're looking at

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Having chatted to our Captain Corona toady there are no plans for any comps until restrictions are lifted to permit 3 or 4 balls and so they haven't looked any further into it

We aren't overly reliant on societies to the degree where we only have a few regular and returning societies per year and definitely far fewer than some of our neighbouring clubs but of course not having any, or any club matches will have a financial hit as will not having a regular income over the bar and kitchen. Whether that then impacts our green fees for next year remains to be seen but as we only renewed in March plenty of time to work that out once we know how big a hole we're looking at

How are you sure you have plenty of time? What happens if you dont get to March because the money runs out in November due to the shortfall from every area bar members subs?

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Why the need to stop visitors? Surely they bring in much needed cash.
Our Club feels they are more likely to break/unaware of ALL the rules. If something goes wrong there is little The Club can do. Pro is not allowed to open and priority is to look after members, quite rightly so.

More importantly our Club haS been completely full from 6a.m. Until 7 p.m with 2 balls

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Where I play all the members that did not renew by the first of April are not being allowed to rejoin at the present due to the restricted number of tee times so I doubt that we would entertain completely new members.

All societies and Opens have been cancelled.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
But you still had to pay a large fee to do it, that same large fee can give me a holiday with my children which ultimately will give me happy memories and them something to always remember. ?
Aye - the kids will remember with great fondness their wet week in Scarborough or Skeggie :)