Could club memberships increase?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I 100% agree. However clubs who may have banked on the £80k are now in serious poo. That is not an insignificant sum and potentially pays three greenkeepers their wages for the year?

The industry could be in its knees very quickly.
I think certain clubs could be on their knees but if members of clubs that go under dissipate to nearby clubs then the industry itself will be fine. There are plenty of us wanting to play, there is an over supply of clubs however. This may well speed up the process of closing clubs that were not really viable anyway.

Do you remeber the thread a while ago where we identified how many clubs were within 5 miles from where you live. There were some crazy numbers being posted.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
We're not taking visitors, nor are we allowing members guests for the time being. Partly because of the practical ramifications of dealing with non-members. But mainly because the members are taking all the available tee times and there practically no real way of getting visitors out onto the course - visitors will be considered when things quieten down a bit. But on the plus side there's something like 25 new applications for membership which we're dealing with ...

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
£133, 4 or 5 Green fees ?

Given the choice of paying that or not being a member of a club and potentially having very limited access to golf, it's not much is it?

It depends. There are a number of members who play a few times a week and get excellent value but there are pretty big number, I am one, who only get to play at weekends and then not every weekend. They are the ones who have to weigh up the value of their membership every year rather than the affordability. I had set myself a limit of how much I would pay for membership (£1000.00) and another large increase this year took me close to that. The extended period of bad weather swayed me and I decided not to renew this year, not because I could not afford to but because the cost was not justified. It is members like me who may be pushed over the edged by a 10-15% increase and there are more of us than most people think.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yes I fully get that, I've often had the "of course I can afford it but just don't want to pay that" discussion.
We each have different priorities of course. ?
Agreed, my turning point was when I looked at last year and realised that I paid on average more per round than if I had paid green fees. Yes, there are other benefits, comps etc but one club I used to play at now has a points system flexible membership scheme that appeals in my circumstances or I can join my local 9 hole course for very little to maintain a handicap and play open comps.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
If anyone thinks that shutting down the economy for 2 month (plus) won't cause serious damage, where have they been? Golf clubs are like anything else, there are the wealthy, with reserves, and those sailing close to the wind. (a 2018 survey found that nearly a quarter of UK households had no savings at all.... I hate to think what the percentage would be if the figure for less than 2 months expenditure was taken)

So, some clubs will sit on the laurels. Others will close. Some will attract new members if they are creative, others will lose them if they got their PR wrong this year! Some players will lapse their membership if they cant afford to play (I saw a report predicting 2 million extra on the dole by the year end)

So, no one size fits all outcome. Every situation is different. Remember, the green fee at one place is subsidising the annual subs for already wealthy members. While the green fee elsewhere is life or death to their business... and all other clubs are at various points along that continuum

SammmeBee

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A lot of clubs have seen their memberships increasing in number this week as it’s the only way some people feel they will be able to play and might not have much else to do now until October.

Good news for golf clubs.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Update from the manager today. Anybody who did not renew and now wants rejoin can do so immediately provided they pay the full year sub with no credit against next year or else they can wait until we are inviting new members with a pro rata sub.

He did the did give the budget predictions and it was an eye opener (downside of course) we are still furloughing some staff because of social distancing and costs.

Looks like a lot of work on the course is going to be carried out by the members who are volunteering to do it.

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
cant say i'm surprised, if i was local and nomadic id have been mightily tempted for 3 or 6 mths and then see where things are

Exactly my situation. Out to play tomorrow afternoon. Can't wait. My clubs, shoes and trolley are cleaner than they've been in years, and putting on my indoor mat (9 on the home made stimpmeter) only cuts it for so long!

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
£133, 4 or 5 Green fees ?

Given the choice of paying that or not being a member of a club and potentially having very limited access to golf, it's not much is it?

When I paid circa £1300 this year if they added another £133 it was probably be the straw that saw me sell my clubs and walk away. Not sure of many industries that will be giving 10% salary hikes therefore I would be rather annoyed to be on the receiving end of a hike like that come fee time.

Diamond

Visit site
When I paid circa £1300 this year if they added another £133 it was probably be the straw that saw me sell my clubs and walk away. Not sure of many industries that will be giving 10% salary hikes therefore I would be rather annoyed to be on the receiving end of a hike like that come fee time.

Its £11 a month extra direct debit.
I would cancel sky sports before giving up the pleasure golf currently gives me. But each to their own.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Its £11 a month extra direct debit.
I would cancel sky sports before giving up the pleasure golf currently gives me. But each to their own.

I don't pay via DD. I always pay my fees up front.

There comes a time when you have to evaluate and judge what is value for money and what is ultimately not. At roughly £110 per month as it stands when i break it down i really don't see me getting my money's worth or enough enjoyment to justify a further substantial increase.

I also don't have Sky Sports anymore either. (Just being pedantic by mentioning that as i know what you are saying)

Once I'm back golfing hopefully my golfing mojo returns......

Diamond

Visit site
I don't pay via DD. I always pay my fees up front.

There comes a time when you have to evaluate and judge what is value for money and what is ultimately not. At roughly £110 per month as it stands when i break it down i really don't see me getting my money's worth or enough enjoyment to justify a further substantial increase.

I also don't have Sky Sports anymore either. (Just being pedantic by mentioning that as i know what you are saying)

Once I'm back golfing hopefully my golfing mojo returns......

I am sure it will and I know what you mean regards to the lump sum. I generally do the same with most things but this lockdown proved there is little benefit. I won’t be renewing my premier league season ticket so the £85 or so direct debit every month is easier to swallow.