Competitions

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21258

Does your club mainly run single sex competitions at the weekend and during the shorter daylight months book the tee for the complete day or for longer than 4 hours prior to sunset(normally just male comps).

Therefore kind of reducing a womens membership to 6 day or kind of reducing a man to 6 day if his plays as a couple during winter months.

I only wonder as my local club is mainly mixed comps and do not run comps upto 4 hours before sunset. As a result we can play a comp as a family or play after the comp and still get 18 holes in?

Be interested to hear if it my local club is the common situation or not?

Hopefully that makes sense. I think is the single comp thing that really causes problems if your a couple and wish to play together

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's a big problem at many clubs. Men's comp books out the tee for the majority of the day at the weekend. The claim is "equality" if women's comps are also on a weekend but they tend to book the tee for an hour and a half tops.

I've just left a club where all comps were mixed (brilliant) and joined one with separate comps and I must admit this is my biggest fear about the new place.

In my mind, mixed comps must be the future of golf. Or at the very least, men's and women's comps run at the same time allowing both the same opportunity to play.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Single sex for my place. Men in the main on a Sunday and women's on a Tuesday. The 2 or 3 main women's comps are played on a Sunday

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
Women can access the course at weekends easily. Whilst most comps are single sex they are played concurrently ie the ladies will have their stableford at the same time as the men and both share the start sheet.

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Isn't there ironing and stuff to do at weekends anyway? :whistle:

So what you saying....you can't get out at the weekends because your busy...that's fair enough. If your busy with the various chores then at least let your wife out to play

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
It's a big problem at many clubs. Men's comp books out the tee for the majority of the day at the weekend. The claim is "equality" if women's comps are also on a weekend but they tend to book the tee for an hour and a half tops.

I've just left a club where all comps were mixed (brilliant) and joined one with separate comps and I must admit this is my biggest fear about the new place.

In my mind, mixed comps must be the future of golf. Or at the very least, men's and women's comps run at the same time allowing both the same opportunity to play.

We are single sex comps, But ladies can play most Saturdays except for the silver trophy days. Tuesday and Thursdays are ladies days and they have the tee booked 8.30 till 10 the 4 till 6 both those days. there is no appetite for mixed in fact they don't even want men playing behind and have a half hour buffer behind them, they want an hour. ladies do have a couple of opens on a Sat where the tee is booked the whole day, men don't get that.

D

Deleted member 15344

Every medal/Stableford we have at a weekend is open to all - no restrictions, a lot of the board comps are open to all as well - midweek medals are Male only but if there tee is clear anyone can go and play.

Tuesday the course is closed for the ladies only Comp - every single Tuesday throughout the year nothing else can be booked on a Tuesday. When I brought in mixed medals etc the next stage was for the ladies medals ( non board comps ) to be open to all as well - they refused flat and in fact it turned it a nasty shouting match - there is a hardcore of lady members who play only on a Tuesday and don’t care about their fellow members or indeed fellow lady members who can’t play on a Tuesday but more and more ladies are playing on alll the other days so hopefully that mentality is changing.

So at the moment the feeling is that ladies can play 7 days a week - men can only play 6

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Major problem at many clubs I suspect. My current club is very good, the women have Saturday morning blocked out from 9-11 for their comps, the men are, I think, 8-10 on a Sunday. Outside of those times anyone can book a time, male or female, whether playing in the comp or not. A woman can book 10.07 on a Sunday, a man can play in the comp at 2pm on a Sunday. Plenty of flexibility.

Most clubs in the area will have Saturday block booked 7-4 for men's comps, effectively making women's membership a 6 day one.

Last time my wife played the lady captain asked if she would play comps. "When are they? Wednesdays. I work. Really? Oh dear." Mmmmmmmmmmmm

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site

We’re sort of almost there at our club, and I know the way we manage it is causing some friction.

We don’t have ladies and gents membership. You’re either a 5, 6 or 7 day member. The 6 day members can play on non competition day at the weekend. However, despite having a high number of ladies in the club, only 6 are 7 day members.

The 6 have 2 slots in the middle of the gents competition at the weekend, but the lady members chose not to have mixed competitions. Instead, the 6 ladies either play their own little competition, or, the ladies day (Thursday) competition is extended and the 6 ladies effectively play in that competition, but on a Saturday (because they work and can’t make Thursdays).

Sadly , as you would imagine, the disgruntlement comes from those who say there now shouldn’t be a ladies day as the gents can’t play between 8:00 and 1300 on Thursdays as the tee is reserved for ladies competition.

Id sack it all off and have mixed comps. It would make life a lot easier.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Women have a separate tee time if on the same course as the men.
The women don’t want to play with the men and vice versa.
Usually an hour reserved for them with an half hour buffer .
This is because they are very high handicaps, pretty slow and don’t like the pressure from behind.
They are allowed to play though with men and several below 7 hcp do play with the men if we happen to be on the same course.

I often think it’s to do with ability rather than gender.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
the ladies day (Thursday) competition is extended and the 6 ladies effectively play in that competition, but on a Saturday (because they work and can’t make Thursdays).

Am I reading that correctly mate.... 6 play in a Comp 2 days after everyone else has played?

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's very common in lots of clubs, a crude compromise to allow women to play comps at the weekend but better than nothing.

I haven't heard of that before, I suppose conditions wise it works either way.

Fwiw, my experience is that most of the women members want separate comps.
I'd imagine it depends on the type of Golfer. E.g. Low Hcappers want it slightly more competitive.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Am I reading that correctly mate.... 6 play in a Comp 2 days after everyone else has played?

Yes mate. Because the ladies board comps are held on Thursdays so those who work (and are 7 day members) can still play in it. I believe that rubs a few ladies up the wrong way too,

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
That's very common in lots of clubs, a crude compromise to allow women to play comps at the weekend but better than nothing.

Im not sure it’s crude at our club. IMO the 7 day ladies get a good deal , they can play whenever they want. Gent 7 day members however can only play 6 and a half days.

Id prefer all comps to be mixed and the club to feel more inclusive. However, it’s the ladies who oppose this.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Pretty much single sex comps for us unless it's a Mixed pairs event.

Those Ladies who work and so desire to are allowed to play in amongst the Men's Comp of the day in their " Alternative Day " which means they are playing in the Ladies comp which the rest of the Ladies play the following Thursday. I believe this alternative day is something England golf are very keen on.
It has caused a certain amount of disgruntlement from some Ladies but has now been dealt with . There is an argument the alternative day should be the following weekend but that would mean the vast majority of Ladies would not be present when the results are announced as they are now on the Thursday.