Threes or fours in comps

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Does your club have 3s or 4s in comps?

Ours are always max of 3. We have a few comps on Thursday where max is still 3 but 4 balls can play a bounce game off the back tees in the middle of people playing the comp.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Does that mean a 4 can play the comp after 1430?
Yes
We don't normally have booked times for most comps, it's turn up and play
As a 2 tee start course 4 balls have to start on a certain 9 depending on the time.
At 2.30 they have to start on the 10th, leaving the 1st free for 2 and 3 balls.
Of course during the winter months there are no 4 balls on the course as they won't finish given a 2.30 start time.
To be honest, come 2.30, the course is usually pretty quiet

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
My previous club was 4 balls.

My new club, I was there previously, I can't work out if it is 3 or 4 yet. I can't remember from before.

From past experience, 3 is best. The groups tend to flow better.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks. What is the difference between a medal and a stableford? Is it just the method of scoring or whether a draw is made or nor?
People ‘should’ pickup when they can’t score on a hole in stableford - in a medal very shot counts so you have to complete every hole, even if you get into double figures. This makes the rounds slower than when using stableford scoring

PaulMdj

Visit site
People ‘should’ pickup when they can’t score on a hole in stableford - in a medal very shot counts so you have to complete every hole, even if you get into double figures. This makes the rounds slower than when using stableford scoring
Re the bit in bold, surely people should be picking up and NR’ing the hole if having a nightmare round.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
4’s in stablefords, 3’s in medals. There seems to be a belief that playing 3’s in medals will help with the pace of play.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think most of our comps tend to be four-balls but we also have a three-tee start, so the intention is to have everyone out by 9ish and all finish at a similar time. In the Club Champs it's three-balls and two-tee start though. So maybe there are others with that format that have slipped my mind. 🤔

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We are mostly 4 balls. It's 1 too many imho.
As above, our club champs are 3 balls.
We also have a 3 tee start, which gets more people out first thing.