Cobra Arccos Update.....

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi all

Please forgive the self indulgence but I know from the original thread that some forummers were keen to see a follow up regarding the Cobra Puma experiment and the Arccos technology etc.

My season has got off to a somewhat stuttering start given the weather, but the rounds i've played with my new clubs have been very encouraging. I've managed to play 9 rounds using Arccos and recorded scores of +12, +4, +7, +4, +3, +10, -1 (over 15 holes), +1, and +8. Some of the earlier scores have been flattered by preferred lies, but on the whole i've been hitting it nicely. Especially pleased with the +1 at SAOL last week as I beat the best 5 handicap in Lytham 1 up (NW Jocko) . The course is starting to play a bit tougher too with final qualifying for both the gents and ladies Open Championship just around the corner. My official handicap is 6.9, and my Arccos handicap is sat at 4.8, so i'm excited to get into the qualifiers.

I will be honest and say that i've been struggling with the driver. Driving used to be the strongest part of my game but I've been losing a lot high right with some quite spinny shots, Indeed my Arccos Handicap shows this. The guys at Cobra have been awesome and are going to help me dial it in better next week during the first pro-Am at Frilford Heath. Also, I've had to add my putts in on the app after each round as the sensor wont screw into the grip on my putter, but that's not a huge problem. The stats are a fair reflection overall as to how i've been playing. I must add that i won a two day event over the masters weekend that StuC organised. There was 20 or so of us there and I actually won the individual on both days and then the overall........I'm sure a few mates off here are therefore equally as keen as I am to get my handicap down.

The Arccos technology is great and , despite not being a statistical person, I do find myself going through each hole after the round to see the distances I hit that particular shot and the overall round stats. It becomes quite addictive. I'd also say that its a great reflection of where my golf is at, but to break it down into handicap for each category is really interesting to see. I know where I need to improve, and its not necessarily where I spend most of my time practising. I've added the screen shots below fyi. Keep in mind, my distances have increase somewhat the last couple of weeks given we have moved from a Winter to a Summer course.

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ooooooo. I'm loving this. How brilliant, particularly the pictures showing how you played each hole.

Keep posting over the course of the season.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I so wish I had the chance to do the Cobra fitting, but couldn't be sure of the time off work, so didn't enter.
The stats side of things is brilliant, and I know a few people I play with who are heavily into stats etc.

The 'Smart Range' looks very good. Are the 3H, 3i and 4i, all accurate? Looks like some gapping issues. But what a bonus that is having this tech showing it up! I also understand that wind will play a part as, I believe, you just tap before each shot and wind etc isn't taken into account.

Congrats on the 2 day event victory :p!

Looking forward to further updates.

One question, does the little 'end of grip attachment' cause the club to rattle in any way like it used to when I put a tee in a grip at a local pitch and putt??

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I so wish I had the chance to do the Cobra fitting, but couldn't be sure of the time off work, so didn't enter.
The stats side of things is brilliant, and I know a few people I play with who are heavily into stats etc.

The 'Smart Range' looks very good. Are the 3H, 3i and 4i, all accurate? Looks like some gapping issues. But what a bonus that is having this tech showing it up! I also understand that wind will play a part as, I believe, you just tap before each shot and wind etc isn't taken into account.

Congrats on the 2 day event victory :p!

Looking forward to further updates.

One question, does the little 'end of grip attachment' cause the club to rattle in any way like it used to when I put a tee in a grip at a local pitch and putt??

Hi NB

Actually, the Cobra grips now have the sensors already built in. So no need to tag each shot. You just start the app on your phone at the beginning of your round, put your phone in your pocket and forget about it. It's a seriously good piece of kit. If you don't have Cobra clubs, you can buy the sensors that screw into the end of your grips, but these don't move around or anything.

I actually switched out my 3i for my 3h a couple of rounds as I was on the links. Usually I go 4i and then to 3h. The distances will hopefully work out as I get more rounds loaded.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Does your phone need to be in your pocket or could it just be in your bag? I guess the question is, what is the range required between club and phone.

One other question. How does the club know the difference between a practice swing and a shot?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does your phone need to be in your pocket or could it just be in your bag? I guess the question is, what is the range required between club and phone.

One other question. How does the club know the difference between a practice swing and a shot?

Good question LT....right now it has to be in your pocket. But they are working on a little device that can replace it so your phone can just go in your bag. This should be available shortly.

I think it picks up on the noise to distinguish between a practise swing and an actual shot. Either way, it works :)

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Eh, big ed! Scott the Ev won day 2! :rofl:

glad theyre working for you matey, them scores are sure fire cat 1 potential.

The Arccos system just like the new gg just seem to get better by the year, will have to have a look into getting one.

I wonder if I get my irons regriped in cobra grips whether they do them with the arccos preinstalled?

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
My Cobra irons should get here in a week or two. I am so looking forward to trying this out.

The guy who fitted me said the software is only free to use in the first year, but later you have to pay for it? Have you heard anything about that? I am not sure if that is all of the software or just the "caddy" tool.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi NB

Actually, the Cobra grips now have the sensors already built in. So no need to tag each shot. You just start the app on your phone at the beginning of your round, put your phone in your pocket and forget about it. It's a seriously good piece of kit. If you don't have Cobra clubs, you can buy the sensors that screw into the end of your grips, but these don't move around or anything.

I actually switched out my 3i for my 3h a couple of rounds as I was on the links. Usually I go 4i and then to 3h. The distances will hopefully work out as I get more rounds loaded.

The latest game golf that’s coming out will do the same tagging wise, clearly people don’t like tagging. Game golf is very popular with others , I know at least 10 of my Society have them so we track each other rounds aswell

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I looked into this. It knows because it uses the microphone on your phone that’s why it needs to be in your pocket as it will hear the noise of a shot and track it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Does anyone know when the new GG version is being released in the UK. I want to see how it stacks up against Arcoss before deciding on a system to invest in. I figure both will be around the same price point (but stand to be corrected)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Eh, big ed! Scott the Ev won day 2! :rofl:

glad theyre working for you matey, them scores are sure fire cat 1 potential.

The Arccos system just like the new gg just seem to get better by the year, will have to have a look into getting one.

I wonder if I get my irons regriped in cobra grips whether they do them with the arccos preinstalled?

Ahhhh your right apologies. It was on a count back tho :)

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
My Cobra irons should get here in a week or two. I am so looking forward to trying this out.

The guy who fitted me said the software is only free to use in the first year, but later you have to pay for it? Have you heard anything about that? I am not sure if that is all of the software or just the "caddy" tool.

Hi Jutta, Your right. It's only free for the first year, then you have to pay. I think you get the caddy tool with the subscription aswell.

Radbourne2010

Challenge Tour Pro
www.mmksolutions.co.uk
Great to see you've been fitted correctly & the hardware and software are working. My big criticism last year was having to have the phone in your pocket. It's bad enough in the winter but in summer it burns your pocket. Hope they can sort it out. For now, I'll stick with Game Golf.
Good question LT....right now it has to be in your pocket. But they are working on a little device that can replace it so your phone can just go in your bag. This should be available shortly.

I think it picks up on the noise to distinguish between a practise swing and an actual shot. Either way, it works :)

D

Deleted member 21258

Nice update, seems to be going in the right direction.

On the yardages chart what is the green 'blocks' for ? Is that the average distance mark?

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Nice update, seems to be going in the right direction.

On the yardages chart what is the green 'blocks' for ? Is that the average distance mark?

Yeah, that's the 'smart distance'. You can click on each club and it tells you how often you hit the green with club, the distance from the pin etc , where, you usually miss (long, short, left right etc)

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Good going pal. Enjoying this.

Do you manually add the shape of the shot afterwards for those screenshots?

Looks like a good tool to work out a game plan for certain holes.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi Jutta, Your right. It's only free for the first year, then you have to pay. I think you get the caddy tool with the subscription aswell.

If it’s charged after a year how will they keep up with game golf considering that’s free

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hey Junior! Arccos aside.. How are you finding the latest Puma briefs ? I’ve recently purchased a pair and I’m finding them silky smooth throughout the round, especially at the top of my backswing. They’re an absolute dream from the 1st to the 19th.
Highly recommended :cool: