Cobra Arccos Update.....

oakey22

Head Pro
Visit site
From a software development standpoint I don't think there is much they can do about it. They need the GPS position to be updating pretty frequently to get accurate positions. And that is very energy costly. The reason it works better on the iPhone has more to do with hardware, I would suspect. Good and long lasting batteries are expensive and that is where most smartphones skimp a bit. Same goes for energy preserving GPS units.

I am not sure my phone will last a full 18 holes either, It was down to 50% after 9 holes yesterday (starting with a full charge). But I have a small power bank that I can use (those things are really not expensive and they pretty much give you a full extra charge).

That's my plan, what I have been doing is plugging it in to the golf trolley while walking to the holes. It's a shame the club's don't activate the GPS when they are picked up and it goes in to standby when not
in use.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I finally got my replacement sensors from Cobra (after almost 4 months). Didn't get a chance to put them in yet, though. Probably tomorrow. I have not used the system in a while, because two of the sensors (in my 7iron and my gap wedge) were broken and editing shots in afterwards, especially full shots, turned out to be next to impossible in a few cases.

On the plus side, Cobra has send me 4 sensors instead of the two I asked for, so I have spares in case another sensor gives up. And also it looks as if it is possible to exchange the batteries, at least in the built in sensors, quite easily (I was a bit worried about what would happen to the sensors in a few years, when the batteries start to fail).

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I finally got my replacement sensors from Cobra (after almost 4 months). Didn't get a chance to put them in yet, though. Probably tomorrow. I have not used the system in a while, because two of the sensors (in my 7iron and my gap wedge) were broken and editing shots in afterwards, especially full shots, turned out to be next to impossible in a few cases.

On the plus side, Cobra has send me 4 sensors instead of the two I asked for, so I have spares in case another sensor gives up. And also it looks as if it is possible to exchange the batteries, at least in the built in sensors, quite easily (I was a bit worried about what would happen to the sensors in a few years, when the batteries start to fail).

It's a shame it's taken so long to sort out. I'm fortunate that mine are built into the grips on the end of the cobra clubs. Enjoy using the Arccos , i've been using the caddy function a lot more in practice recently and it's really helped my course management !! .

Annoyingly I thought i'd got to a 5 handicap last week as I shot a nett 70 (1 under) but the css moved down for once at my course so I stayed the same. I also got 0.1 back the day after so i'm at 5.6 lol.

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
It's the built in sensors that were the problem. Arccos did a great job with sending me a replacement when my putter sensor was broken, but the built in sensor in my gap wedge was broken from the start and the one in my seven iron gave out later (so did the external one in my hybrid recently, but I still had a spare for that, because I don't use 14 clubs). And the built in ones can only be replaced by Cobra, not by Arccos, that's why it took so long.

Anyway, of the 14 sensors I got with my set (7 built in and 7 screw in ones), 4 had to be replaced by now (less than 5 months after I bought the set). That's a pretty lousy turn-out, if you ask me, and cannot be sustainable for the companies involved either (both Arccos and Cobra) if they have to give out replacement sensors like candy. And I still find both the Android app and the desktop interface buggy as hell and very cumbersome to use.

I will keep trying to use it during my first year while it is free, but I really don't see myself paying for it later.