Club Knockouts 2023

Visit site
I’m playing my round 1 matchplay knockout on Saturday afternoon, using 18 holes at Blackmoor in the morning as a warmup. I don’t have the stamina I once did, 10&8 would be nice as I might be tired by the back 9 😂

Giving 8 shots ☹️

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Since it fits well under this topic…what I posted earlier about my 2nd Rnd Summer Singles KO match played yesterday.

Giving just one shot, and with us having scored same pts in last Sunday‘s comp - a good match in prospect.

But I started poorly and was 3 Dwn after 3 (plenty of time, don’t panic); still 3 Dwn at the turn (it’s only half time, keep steady, don’t panic); and still 3 down after 13 (looking tricky, keep steady, don’t panic). I was level after 17 and won the 18th to win match 1Up. By keeping steady; not panicking, and letting him make mistakes and start losing it in his head…as he did…

He congratulated me for a great fightback. Truth is, at 3 Dwn after 13 with 5 difficult holes to play, holes that are very difficult to force for birdie chances, I just had to keep steady, and try to play par golf one hole at a time. And wait. And in matchplay golf, when things don’t look so great, good things often come to those who are patient.

Doesn‘t always work, sometimes I have to just accept that my opponent is on his game and there might be little I can do about it. In such games I just aim to come off the course with the feeling that I did my best, and that I didn’t let myself down.

Last edited:

AAC

Visit site
Probably the thing that I have read today that saddened me most. Alienating probably 40% of your members. I hope many leave for fresher pastures.
The decision was taken after listening to feedback from a large number of members. This years major board comps have seen the biggest entry for some years. 20+ h/c's can still enter and there are lots of other comps that they can enter off full h/c.

IanMcC

Visit site
The decision was taken after listening to feedback from a large number of members. This years major board comps have seen the biggest entry for some years. 20+ h/c's can still enter and there are lots of other comps that they can enter off full h/c.
I don't understand. In the earlier post you said that your board comps have a max of 20 handicap. Next you say that 20+ handicaps can still enter. Surely you don't mean that they can enter, but not win!

ntommo

Visit site
I don't understand. In the earlier post you said that your board comps have a max of 20 handicap. Next you say that 20+ handicaps can still enter. Surely you don't mean that they can enter, but not win!
I think he means that they can enter but play off 20 max and yes they can still win. We do the same but our max is 26

D

Deleted member 15344

It’s prob the same as us -you can play in any event but the max HC is 28

The club main HC KO is 28 but there is one for 18-54 HC’s

The board comps are max 28 HC and must have 4 cards from comps over the previous 12 months

AAC

Visit site
Sorry maybe I wasn't crystal clear, as others have clarified anyone can enter the major board comps, however the max h/c they can play off is 20 regardless of what their WHS might be. This move has meant that an awful lot of lower h/c players are now entering the major board comps again

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played my first match of the year on Sunday, only giving 1 shot.

Made the mistake of giving a putt on the 5th hole without properly working out how many shots each of us had taken, this would have taken me to 3 up. Definitely won't be making that mistake again.

2 up with 2 to play, opponent hit a really bad tee shot on 17th, mine was in a great position. They proceeded to hit a 5 wood out of the rough, around a tree to 7 foot on the green, my approach came up short and right and he ended up winning the hole.

18th, they went left into the trees, I went right. I had to chip out sideways and they again hit the most ridiculous approach shot, from over 200 yards onto the green. All square.

1st playoff hole, I had a putt to win which lipped out.

2nd playoff hole, par 3, they short sided themselves, I hit my tee shot in an even worse position and it was all over...

Been drawn against someone at work in the first round of our knockout trophy (which I won last year) and I'm giving 20 shots :LOL:

IanMcC

Visit site
Sorry maybe I wasn't crystal clear, as others have clarified anyone can enter the major board comps, however the max h/c they can play off is 20 regardless of what their WHS might be. This move has meant that an awful lot of lower h/c players are now entering the major board comps again
We had an antiquated system like this before I was M&H Secretary. It was the first thing I binned. The system, be it UHS or WHS, allocates handicaps on performance. Who am I to further cut someone? We do have a minimum number of qualifying cards for entry, however. This year we have had a record entry in both the singles and pairs knockouts. For the record, last year an 11 handicapper won the singles, and an 11/13 partnership won the pairs. Highest handicap entered in both comps was 32.

D

Deleted member 29109

Still in 3 of the 4 club knockouts.

The fun and games has started with the pairs KO. Despite having over a month to play. Our opposition offered us one time on the day before the deadline.

TigerTime

Visit site

I'd be asking for a discount on my membership fee in that case. Why should anyone pay full price knowing they will be limited to what events they can play with their handicap? There's no point someone of 40 entering a handicap comp with a max handicap allowance of 20. I can understand at opens/amateur events and a pro level the need to limit handicaps but for your standard club competition/medal? That's complete nonsense. The only real reason is the people who have been stuck at 6.1 for 10 years complaining because Person A who has recently joined the club and will get better at the game as time goes on and therefore will probably scoop up in medals. The same type of people that NR their card after one bad hole and protect their handicap at all costs.

Nobody should be discriminated against because of their level of play. Golf grew substantially over covid, measures like this will just put the newbies off and soon enough golf clubs will return to being to pre covid times. The game needs to move forward to retain the covid newbies and grow the game in a modern society. Golf needs to move forward and be progressive and affordable, not revert to type.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd be asking for a discount on my membership fee in that case. Why should anyone pay full price knowing they will be limited to what events they can play with their handicap? There's no point someone of 40 entering a handicap comp with a max handicap allowance of 20. I can understand at opens/amateur events and a pro level the need to limit handicaps but for your standard club competition/medal? That's complete nonsense. The only real reason is the people who have been stuck at 6.1 for 10 years complaining because Person A who has recently joined the club and will get better at the game as time goes on and therefore will probably scoop up in medals. The same type of people that NR their card after one bad hole and protect their handicap at all costs.

Nobody should be discriminated against because of their level of play. Golf grew substantially over covid, measures like this will just put the newbies off and soon enough golf clubs will return to being to pre covid times. The game needs to move forward to retain the covid newbies and grow the game in a modern society. Golf needs to move forward and be progressive and affordable, not revert to type.
So no scratch competitions at your club then? Or ones just for higher handicaps?