Club Knockouts 2023

TigerTime

Visit site
How about everything is made truely fair then

The person who plays the best on the day wins - lowest shots win no HC

That would be the game in it's purest form and in truth I'd have no issues with that personally. What you would find in that case is over time people would either improve or just bugger off alltogether.

TigerTime

Visit site
The handicap system isn’t perfect, and different comps tend to favour one ’part’ of the handicap range or another. The fact that many club comps post result and apportion prizes based on divisions prove the point. Most of the ‘exclusive’ comps are play by date comps like the summer knockouts, the play on date comps like Saturday Medals & Stablefords are open to all and played in divisions in most clubs. The majority of play by date comps don’t restrict access to the course because it’s a few members arranging a tee time to play a match.

Would I want to play in my preferred type of comp if I knew my handicap wasn’t the optimum one for that comp? I actually believe it’s better for everyone that there are ‘exclusive’ comps as well as comps that are open to all. It’s the best of both worlds. And just because some people can’t access the course on a specific date because there’s a rabbits open or a scratch comp, I don’t care. Both groups, on different dates, have their day.

Taking your elitism comment, would I want to run the 100m in the Olympics or play at Wimbledon? Those events are open to everyone in the world, just like the Open and the scratch championship at every club. It’s just that you need to attain a level of ability to play in them. Alternatively, you could argue that those that display an entitlement attitude, a belief that they should be entitled to compete against Rafa Nadal based on an unrestricted entry/draw are just being plain foolish.

The Olympics or Wimbledon have no relevance to Golf in this debate. You've missed my point entirely.

Captain_Black.

Visit site
If he's anything like a very high H/C player at my place, I'm sorry to say, it will be a nightmare.
My advice, don't stand in front or to the side of him, even standing behind him can be dangerous as I have actually seen the guy at ours hit it behind him.
Even other players on adjacent fairways aren't safe.
You will probably spend most of your round watching him root around in the rough / trees for his ball (remind him he only has 3 mins)
Our club has a 21 h/c limit for all ko & board comps, which I think is a great idea.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Anyone can play regardless of h/c, but the maximum h/c allowance is a PH of 21

We also have 3x divisions for all comps, which has vastly reduced the complaints.
Thanks. Some clubs use HI, CH or PH.
EG have ruled that when it comes to the KO matchplay rounds they must be played off full PH.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Anyone can play regardless of h/c, but the maximum h/c allowance is a PH of 21

We also have 3x divisions for all comps, which has vastly reduced the complaints.

Great idea. A 40+ capper being given a max of 21 shots would only encourage them to improve quicker, it would also have a positive effect on slow play in majors which from experience seems when slow play is at its worse.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Golly olly. Does anyone know why I posted it? No? I thought I might get a few funny comments. You know, shake hands on the first and wish him luck in the next round, type of thing. I'm off 15 so my opponent will get er hang on er well almost two shots a hole. Cor blimey. So if I play ok, bogey golf he will get three shots a hole to draw. Christ almighty a bigginner could manage that!
So come on. Give me some funny responses.

IJames

Visit site
If he's anything like a very high H/C player at my place, I'm sorry to say, it will be a nightmare.
My advice, don't stand in front or to the side of him, even standing behind him can be dangerous as I have actually seen the guy at ours hit it behind him.
Even other players on adjacent fairways aren't safe.
You will probably spend most of your round watching him root around in the rough / trees for his ball (remind him he only has 3 mins)...
And still lose!

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Golly olly. Does anyone know why I posted it? No? I thought I might get a few funny comments. You know, shake hands on the first and wish him luck in the next round, type of thing. I'm off 15 so my opponent will get er hang on er well almost two shots a hole. Cor blimey. So if I play ok, bogey golf he will get three shots a hole to draw. Christ almighty a bigginner could manage that!
So come on. Give me some funny responses.
Walk up to the first tee, let him tee up and then advise him with a HC of 40+ he’s clearly using the wrong tees.

Proceed to point to the further forward tees and see how the mind fuggery works from there ;)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
EG have ruled that when it comes to the KO matchplay rounds they must be played off full PH.
When I posted this I thought I has seen either an EG or CONGU note to this effect but I can no longer find it. Was I dreaming or has anyone else seen such a ruling?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thanks to both above but that isn't exactly what I was after.

EG had previously said that handicap limits could be applied to strokeplay competitions (eg all entrants must have a handicap of x or below).
Additionally they have said that a limit may be imposed for 'prize winning' only but entry may not necessarily be limited. In which case correct CHs would apply for resultant h'cap calculations only. So If a medal was limited to HI 18.0 or lower , a player with a HI of 25.3 could play but his CH would be limited to the corresponding CH for 18.0. His WHS calc would use the CH relating to 25.3.

The question I have relates to any KO matches played by (say) the top 16 of the 'qualifier.
I thought I had seen a note from EG or CONGU saying that if the player above qualified for the matchplay KO, his CH would be the one using his official HI of 25.3 not his restricted CH.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Interestingly. GUIDANCE ON THE WHS RULES OF HANDICAPPING AS APPLIED WITHIN GB&IGC (Appendix C) Handicap Allowances says

The National Associations within CONGU® have determined that allowances set out in the table in Appendix C are mandatory.