Setting fair limits for knockout competitions

wjemather

Visit site
You say it makes sense, so if sensible, what is wrong with EG advising clubs to work out their HI limits that way?
Because one size doesn't fit all and further instruction is unnecessary.
For example, your preference for limits based on PH wouldn't work for a multi-tee competition.

Length

Visit site
Because one size doesn't fit all and further instruction is unnecessary.
For example, your preference for limits based on PH wouldn't work for a multi-tee competition.
Your example is not relevant. I was talking about singles knockouts, always played off the same competition tee. You say it makes sense and then say it is fair. Try putting yourself in the position of the person that cannot enter.

wjemather

Visit site
Your example is not relevant. I was talking about singles knockouts, always played off the same competition tee. You say it makes sense and then say it is fair. Try putting yourself in the position of the person that cannot enter.
Of course it's relevant. Any union guidance has to be broad, not just cover one specific permutation, and not all singles comps are the same as yours. For example, our men's singles KO can be played from either white or yellow tees - a PH limit for that would be unworkable.

FYI, I was balloted out of an open based on HI yesterday (edit) and I'm perfectly fine with it.

Last edited:

Length

Visit site
Of course it's relevant. Any union guidance has to be broad, not just cover one specific permutation, and not all singles comps are the same as yours. For example, our men's singles KO can be played from either white or yellow tees - a PH limit for that would be unworkable.

FYI, I was balloted out of an open based on HI yesterday.
How does that work then with your KO if one wants to play white and the other yellow?

Length

Visit site
Determined by HI on the day of the match, but would default to white tees if they disagree.
I always thought one reason to have clear terms of competition was to stop any disagreements. Just like the purpose of having a course marked out properly? Your club must be fun to be a member of?

Length

Visit site
Determined by HI on the day of the match, but would default to white tees if they disagree.
I am sorry, but it is easy to see you have just made up your example of your men's singles KO can be played from either white or yellow tees.
Are you prepared to send the full terms for this?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am sorry, but it is easy to see you have just made up your example of your men's singles KO can be played from either white or yellow tees.
Are you prepared to send the full terms for this?
RoH Rule 6.2b(i) seems to make provision for this format

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
This sounds like fun. No one is going to agree to play from tees that give their opponent more shots.

I presume the OP is missing out by 0.something and is disgruntled? Would the irritation be the same if just inside the cutoff!

Unfortunately there has to be a cut off somewhere. So as I see it, the OP raises the issue at the next AGM to propose a change, sucks it up and gets on with life or gets their index down below the threshold.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Surely it is up to your committee to recognise this and set the maximum HI for entry as the top end of the band of HIs that produce a Course Handicap of 21 for the tees to be used for the knockout matches - even if a figure of, say, 21.7 was this figure.

I have every sympathy for the op point of view it doesn’t seem right to me that a player can be excluded from a single ko competition if he has the same CH as other players.

Your solution seems the best and simplest , why clubs can’t use this baffles me, it will only upset some members.

Swango1980

Visit site
This is a good example of a thread where the OP asks a question, but they clearly are looking for a very specific answer. And an opposing answer is unacceptable. :)

I really cannot see why a national authority would need gto instruct clubs, at that level of detail, what conditions they should and should not be setting. That is the job for Club Committees, to decide what they think is best for their membership. And if they make mistakes, members can always question their decisions, and see if change is appropriate.

Length

Visit site
I have every sympathy for the op point of view it doesn’t seem right to me that a player can be excluded from a single ko competition if he has the same CH as other players.

Your solution seems the best and simplest , why clubs can’t use this baffles me, it will only upset some members.
Yes it is simple to give guidelines, not instructions. So why not do this? Then members can question a committee, knowing it is at the very least advised.