Club championships , what's the score

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So the club championship is 1st August .. (Saturday)

I assumed I couldn't enter as a 5 day member as it's weekend

However my mate who joined recently has a bee in his bonnet that every other club he has played 5 day members can play in the captain's day and the club championship ..

His arguement is that it doesn't reflect your best players as they could be only 5 day members

He doesn't expect it to be free. Willing to pay the green fee etc

Now tbh I assumed I couldn't play and not overly bothered

Just wondering what happens at other clubs?

D

Deleted member 3432

So the club championship is 1st August .. (Saturday)

I assumed I couldn't enter as a 5 day member as it's weekend

However my mate who joined recently has a bee in his bonnet that every other club he has played 5 day members can play in the captain's day and the club championship ..

His arguement is that it doesn't reflect your best players as they could be only 5 day members

He doesn't expect it to be free. Willing to pay the green fee etc

Now tbh I assumed I couldn't play and not overly bothered

Just wondering what happens at other clubs?

Can't help with this as we don't have a 5 day member category.

Doh

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Any weekend comp cannot be played by five day members at ours even if they pay a green fee. I can imagine some full members would be miffed if they could not enter a comp because of 5 day members taking up tee times.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whipsnade had this rule in place.
It irked a little because at my club previous to that they allowed 5 dayers to play in CChamps or the end of season Prize winners comp if we'd qualified.
Their reason was that you can't be Club Champion if you haven't played against the best in the club.
I imagine at big clubs this wouldn't be practical simply due to numbers but could be offset to some degree by having a 5 day CC.....

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Having 1 or 2 comps a year that 5 day members can play in, sounds like an upselling tactic to me. If the 5 day members have a fun comp, they may well upgrade in the future to 7 day access.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Surely he should accept that, by paying a reduced membership, he gets reduced privileges. I absolutely get he’s willing to pay a green fee but that’s not really the issue.

I have membership, rather than a season ticket, at my chosen football club. I accept the restrictions which come with that, and understand that if I want to attend every home game, I have to pay more for the privilege. That’s life.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Surely he should accept that, by paying a reduced membership, he gets reduced privileges. I absolutely get he’s willing to pay a green fee but that’s not really the issue.

I have membership, rather than a season ticket, at my chosen football club. I accept the restrictions which come with that, and understand that if I want to attend every home game, I have to pay more for the privilege. That’s life.

That's my view on it aswell

I didn't join for 7 days .. not fussed about club championship

I guess he just was used to it at old club so assumed it would be same

If he is that bothered I think he should upgrade to 7 day personally lol he can afford it

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Think our major board events are for 7 day membership only and excludes 5 day members. Years ago there were specific 5 day memberships including one whereby the winner was offered 7 day membership as part of the prize. Think that has fallen by the wayside as it's all about getting members in these days and taking their cash dependant on what category they wish to join

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's the CLUB championships, therefore every member should be allowed to enter. Yes a green fee should be payed.

This isn't a bog standard weekly comp, it's the main competition of the year, to determine the best golfer. Therefore it should be open to everyone.

If there's a limited field, once the entry is open you could have a staggered approach ;
For the first 7 days, only 7 day members may apply. After this period, it's open to every other member of the club, if there is space. This seems like a fair solution to me.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
it appears the Kings allow 5 day members to play in it, but you have to pay the green fee for each round, so if you got to the final it would cost you £150 extra, which is more than the diff between 5 day and 7 so why would you not just be 7 day to start with??

Billysboots

Visit site
It's the CLUB championships, therefore every member should be allowed to enter. Yes a green fee should be payed.

This isn't a bog standard weekly comp, it's the main competition of the year, to determine the best golfer. Therefore it should be open to everyone.

If there's a limited field, once the entry is open you could have a staggered approach ;
For the first 7 days, only 7 day members may apply. After this period, it's open to every other member of the club, if there is space. This seems like a fair solution to me.

So when a 5-day member wins the Club Championship, his name goes on the honour board, and he goes on to represent the club the following year in county events, as many do, is it right that the full members are left scratching their heads and thinking “Who’s he?”.

Being champion golfer at your club is an honour, and a privilege. Would you be happy with a pay and play member being allowed to enter, and potentially win, one who plays half a dozen times a year? I’m not sure I would.

I’m firmly in the full members only camp on this one.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I used to have a country membership that allowed me to play 7 days but I was not eligible to play in the major competitions. The Secretary did permit me to play IF there was a space on the start sheet but I was not eligible to win. It did give me the opportunity to play more qualifiers but I agree that if you are not a member of the correct category then you should not be entitled to play.

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
If someone wants to play on days 6 and 7 of the week then they need to join on the appropriate membership. If you only pay for 5 day membership, saving a decent amount of money, then there has to be a consequence as otherwise it is unfair on those who pay the full fee.

Correct. End of discussion.

We should close threads once a correct answer has been given I think.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Being champion golfer at your club is an honour, and a privilege.

...not really a privilege, but it is a massive achievement to be very proud of! (if you see the difference!) :ROFLMAO:

In my head it depends on if 5 day members are "full voting members or not." If not, they shouldn't. If they are, it depends on the rules they signed up to on joining. We should be clear.

I was once a member of a propriatory club where there owner's daughter was a very low handicap county player. Never played the club as was a member else where. One year she turned up to play in the Ladies Club Champs and won by a mile. The next year, she appeared again on the start sheet, so all the other ladies pulled out and there was no comp! Lesson learned.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
So when a 5-day member wins the Club Championship, his name goes on the honour board, and he goes on to represent the club the following year in county events, as many do, is it right that the full members are left scratching their heads and thinking “Who’s he?”.

Being champion golfer at your club is an honour, and a privilege. Would you be happy with a pay and play member being allowed to enter, and potentially win, one who plays half a dozen times a year? I’m not sure I would.

I’m firmly in the full members only camp on this one.

Yep thats fine, if theyre a member of the club then they can win the club champs imo, just because theyre not part of the weekend in crowd shouldnt affect that. Why does it matter how many times they play? Maybe the "full" members should be scratching their heads as to why a guy who only plays 6 times a year beat them lol

Billysboots

Visit site
...not really a privilege, but it is a massive achievement to be very proud of! (if you see the difference!) :ROFLMAO:

In my head it depends on if 5 day members are "full voting members or not." If not, they shouldn't. If they are, it depends on the rules they signed up to on joining. We should be clear.

I was once a member of a propriatory club where there owner's daughter was a very low handicap county player. Never played the club as was a member else where. One year she turned up to play in the Ladies Club Champs and won by a mile. The next year, she appeared again on the start sheet, so all the other ladies pulled out and there was no comp! Lesson learned.

We have two very good Cat 1 players who play the majority of their golf elsewhere. They play their three Club Championship qualifying comps, the CC itself, and also play Winter League every year, as they know our place is perhaps the only course in the county which can virtually guarantee year round golf. Outside of that, we never see them.

There was an attempt to involve them in the scratch team a few years ago which caused an absolute stink. There were some very good golfers, fully committed and integrated into club life, who missed out to accommodate these two. Whilst involving them would doubtless have improved the quality of golf on offer, it had a hugely detrimental impact on the team itself, so their involvement was short lived.

In a similar vein, having a Club Champion who is not a fully integrated member of the club can have a similar impact. The situation you cite is a classic example.

I genuinely do feel that the option to play in the CC is a privilege which should be restricted to full members and, as such, it is a privilege to be your club’s champion.