Club championships , what's the score

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Well what was 'the issue' then? Teams change. Is there a set way for how a team is picked? If there is, then anyone falling short can have a little grumble, but if they don't meet the criteria then tough. If there isn't a distinct procedure, then sounds like the guy off 4 just expected to be in the team ahead of a better golfer because he plays at the club more often/was pals with everyone else on the team.

Strewth. I’m almost at the point of having to spell this out in words of one syllable, in big print, written in crayon ?

You have a strong team, all members of it performing, harmony in the camp. Two other steady golfers, doubtless nice fellas, who are so infrequently at the club that nobody knows them from Adam, are introduced to the team, both playing off 2. To accommodate them, in a side which is regularly getting results, two other good golfers, one off 4 the other 5, are unceremoniously ditched. Not because their performances were poor, because they weren’t, but because the other two had lower handicaps and the perception was their inclusion may improve team performance.

If you genuinely cannot grasp the impact that is likely to have on team morale, especially given the fact that two integral club members were forced to make way for two players who made the effort to come to the club perhaps half a dozen times a year, then this discussion can’t go anywhere. It’s shockingly poor team management.

Siolag

Visit site
Strewth. I’m almost at the point of having to spell this out in words of one syllable, in big print, written in crayon ?

You have a strong team, all members of it performing, harmony in the camp. Two other steady golfers, doubtless nice fellas, who are so infrequently at the club that nobody knows them from Adam, are introduced to the team, both playing off 2. To accommodate them, in a side which is regularly getting results, two other good golfers, one off 4 the other 5, are unceremoniously ditched. Not because their performances were poor, because they weren’t, but because the other two had lower handicaps and the perception was their inclusion may improve team performance.

If you genuinely cannot grasp the impact that is likely to have on team morale, especially given the fact that two integral club members were forced to make way for two players who made the effort to come to the club perhaps half a dozen times a year, then this discussion can’t go anywhere. It’s shockingly poor team management.

How dare you write such patronising nonsense.

Is there a criteria for the team or not?

The two players are better golfers, and would have as much right to be aggrieved at not being included in the team as the two that were left out. According to your logic the team ought to be picked then no changes made after, in case it impacts on morale?

Clearly clubs are allowed to pick teams any way they see fit, but making one of the criteria 'regularly playing at the club' seems like it ought to be low down the pecking order.

Billysboots

Visit site
How dare you write such patronising nonsense.

Is there a criteria for the team or not?

The two players are better golfers, and would have as much right to be aggrieved at not being included in the team as the two that were left out. According to your logic the team ought to be picked then no changes made after, in case it impacts on morale?

Clearly clubs are allowed to pick teams any way they see fit, but making one of the criteria 'regularly playing at the club' seems like it ought to be low down the pecking order.

You asked me a question. I answered it.

If you think picking two players who have shown zero commitment to the club, over two club regulars, whose golf is pretty much on a par with those players, is not likely to totally destabilise a well performing team, then I can only hope that you don’t manage staff. Do you really think a player who spends probably 30 hours a year, total, at our club should be picked to represent the club over a regular, just because his handicap is two strokes lower? Really?

Sorry if you find that patronising. Feel free to be really indignant by way of a response.

?

Siolag

Visit site
You asked me a question. I answered it.

If you think picking two players who have shown zero commitment to the club, over two club regulars, whose golf is pretty much on a par with those players, is not likely to totally destabilise a well performing team, then I can only hope that you don’t manage staff. Do you really think a player who spends probably 30 hours a year, total, at our club should be picked to represent the club over a regular, just because his handicap is two strokes lower? Really?

Sorry if you find that patronising. Feel free to be really indignant by way of a response.

?

We shall have to agree to disagree. Ultimately every club can pick who it likes for its teams, and asking good golfers to get involved seems like it’s not that bad an idea. I know there have been members at ours (one is a friend of mine) who have felt aggrieved at not being picked, but ultimately they pick the team that they think will win.

If anything I’m very surprised the two guys in your scenario even wanted to be involved, given how seldom they are at the club.

D

Deleted member 3432

I know of a club where a few years back, the committee was taken over by 5-day members and they changed their club championships to Friday and Saturday meaning the weekend players had to take a day off work to play the first round. I will leave you to guess what level of handicap the midweek player who pushed this forward was ….

He didn't win.

Interesting one this.

No big deal about having to take a day off work to play in Club Champs or any other comp come to that.

Occupational hazard for shift workers if you want to play a lot of competitive golf.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It's the CLUB championships, therefore every member should be allowed to enter. Yes a green fee should be payed.

This isn't a bog standard weekly comp, it's the main competition of the year, to determine the best golfer. Therefore it should be open to everyone.

If there's a limited field, once the entry is open you could have a staggered approach ;
For the first 7 days, only 7 day members may apply. After this period, it's open to every other member of the club, if there is space. This seems like a fair solution to me.

Sounds reasonable, or ballot it out at single figure handicappers, then 10 the next day, 11 the day after etc till full etc,

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I got stitched by my old club on the "home club" thing. They didn't want me winning when I had moved my home club to Pyrford even though I still played a fair few comps there. I would have had three more otherwise as I shot the lowest 36 hole score but "wasn't eligible". Then a couple of years back when the then-Captain's son was in the same boat, the rules got changed again.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So when a 5-day member wins the Club Championship, his name goes on the honour board, and he goes on to represent the club the following year in county events, as many do, is it right that the full members are left scratching their heads and thinking “Who’s he?”.

Being champion golfer at your club is an honour, and a privilege. Would you be happy with a pay and play member being allowed to enter, and potentially win, one who plays half a dozen times a year? I’m not sure I would.

I’m firmly in the full members only camp on this one.
Who cares if a 5 day member won!? It means they played the best golf on the day. The number of times someone plays a week, or even if some people don't know them, is frankly irrelevant.

Clubs get new members all the time, as long as they meet the criteria to enter the comp (could be, have had to enter 3 comps that year for example) then good on them for winning.

I've picked the teams for the last couple of years at our club, and it's about getting the W. I'll pick someone who I think can add up the team, whatever the event may be. Doesn't matter if they aren't well known within the club. Any right minded person or member of the team would make them feel welcome.

Heck, any member of any current team who thinks someone else may do better usually volunteers to step aside. That's the culture I want and encourage.

Keeping the same people round after round can become a bit tired, this keeps it fresh.

It strikes me of not being inclusive if you don't allow all members to enter. I'll repeat again, it's called the club championships, not the 7 day winner

Billysboots

Visit site
Clubs get new members all the time, as long as they meet the criteria to enter the comp (could be, have had to enter 3 comps that year for example) then good on them for winning.

And our criteria is that you have to be a full member, same as other clubs.

I’m not asking anyone to agree, even though I think that’s the correct approach, for the reasons I’ve set out.

If anyone wants full playing rights, including access to all club competitions, then I think it’s only fair they pay for the requisite membership.

DCB

Visit site
We don't have a 5 day membership category, but some other local clubs do. 5 days means Mon-Fri, so , no weekend golf and all that entails. Seems reasonable to me ?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Interesting one this.

No big deal about having to take a day off work to play in Club Champs or any other comp come to that.

Occupational hazard for shift workers if you want to play a lot of competitive golf.
Such a committee wouldn't last 5mins at my place with such a suggestion - more to the point it would never be voted into position. I'd be spitting tacks if I had to take a day off work to play in my club championship (which - imo - should be for full members only - regardless)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A slight diversion on this but in the same realm. Any club I've been a member of the Club Championship is a scratch comp with a maximum h/c for entrants, usually around 12. A few posts are suggesting anyone can enter theirs, no matter their h/c. Am I reading those correctly?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It could all be changed to have everyone in. My friend was trying to talk to the GM today but obv he busy ..

Turns out both the people I got to join aren't happy about it as wasn't made clear when they signed up, I was told about all the comps but they wrongly thought I was a full member and had to change so could have led to confusion there

Like I've said I'm not fussed as I don't do weekend golf but will see what they do

I've told them to just join full memberships lol not like they can't afford it

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our club Championship requires payment of an entry fee and is open to all members and all handicaps but is a gross score event and prizes are only awarded on the basis of gross scores. We do not get many players in it that do not have full membership or higher handicap.

Our Captains's Day is open to all members regardless of category.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A guy joined on a month's trial membership, played one comp and then won the Club Championship and left. They had a hell of a job getting the trophy back off him as he had taken it away that day.

None of our trophies leave the club these days due to trophies not being returned in previous years.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A slight diversion on this but in the same realm. Any club I've been a member of the Club Championship is a scratch comp with a maximum h/c for entrants, usually around 12. A few posts are suggesting anyone can enter theirs, no matter their h/c. Am I reading those correctly?

We have no handicap limit at ours but it is a gross (scratch) comp with prizes only awarded on the basis of gross scores so we do not get players much above about 12. We run a separate Handicap Championship.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

We have two competitions within one. We have the club champion which is the lowest gross 36 hole total. For the vast majority they have zero chance of winning that so there is a handicap prize which runs alongside. That is the one the majority are interested in, but the winner isn't referred to as club champion. They are the XXXX trophy (can't remember the name of the cup) winner although everyone knows it was won on club championship weekend so there is a that degree of kudos. It is possible to win both (as happened a few years back)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Club Championship seems to vary wildly from club to club. Ours is a two-round competition (Saturday and Sunday). Anyone can enter, although I think handicaps were capped at 28 (so if you're higher than that you just play off 28). And there are three prizes, the scratch gross prize, a net prize for 0-14 handicaps, and a net prize for 15-28 handicap. So something for everyone to compete for really, which is good I think.