Club championships , what's the score

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I first joined Royal Ascot as a 5 day we could play on bank holidays and just bought reduced green fees to play weekends. I can see why there would be some angst about the club championship if it wasn't explained at the time assuming the question was asked and no assumption made on your mates behalf. Given the lack of golf we've had I can see how losing 3 more days would be an issue as it wasn't explained at the time of joining.

I always feel five day members is a tricky one. On the one hand they get to play the course at its best when the greenstaff are all in working (as opposed to reduced weekend staff numbers) and in general there are less players around but on the other a lot of clubs make it hard for them to play in things like club champs and any external events like visiting tour events or large societies will reduce the amount of golf available. At least in this case the manager seems open to change which seems positive

His reply was very polite (and fast I only emailed him this afternoon and he replied 30 mins later) he explained ATM it's the rules but doesn't mean it won't be reviewed going forward. He said he will chat with me In person about it which is always good.

I have always had a good rapport with the GM I find him a nice guy and rather let my mate have a go at him because he got a bee in his bonnet I thought I'd go in and try talking the issues through see if something can change going forward

Doesn't even affect me! I have zero interest in going into the comp lol

For the record we can play weekends it costs us the guest fee of £50 instead of the green fee £75

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
His reply was very polite (and fast I only emailed him this afternoon and he replied 30 mins later) he explained ATM it's the rules but doesn't mean it won't be reviewed going forward. He said he will chat with me In person about it which is always good.

I have always had a good rapport with the GM I find him a nice guy and rather let my mate have a go at him because he got a bee in his bonnet I thought I'd go in and try talking the issues through see if something can change going forward

Doesn't even affect me! I have zero interest in going into the comp lol

For the record we can play weekends it costs us the guest fee of £50 instead of the green fee £75

Sounds promising going forward and think you've handled it well. I've always tried go get onside with our GM's as there will always be a time when you'll need their help or input and so hopefully they'll be me more likely to assist rather than making life hard. Out of interest, I assume you have no interest (work, family, budget etc) to look to make the switch to 7 day?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sounds promising going forward and think you've handled it well. I've always tried go get onside with our GM's as there will always be a time when you'll need their help or input and so hopefully they'll be me more likely to assist rather than making life hard. Out of interest, I assume you have no interest (work, family, budget etc) to look to make the switch to 7 day?

I pushed my luck with the wife keeping the membership full stop. It's £83 a month £100 for 7 day so I just kept the 5 day with the twins due this month by looks I said I'll sneak off for 9 now and again

My mate however I'm trying to push him to front the difference lol he doesn't play weekends he only wants to play the club championship .. so would be £300 to play the championship

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I pushed my luck with the wife keeping the membership full stop. It's £83 a month £100 for 7 day so I just kept the 5 day with the twins due this month by looks I said I'll sneak off for 9 now and again

My mate however I'm trying to push him to front the difference lol he doesn't play weekends he only wants to play the club championship .. so would be £300 to play the championship
He needs to win it then to make it even vaguely worthwhile!!!! I can see how twins will reduce the golfing so think you're sensible keeping as is.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
He needs to win it then to make it even vaguely worthwhile!!!! I can see how twins will reduce the golfing so think you're sensible keeping as is.

If I'm not working a weekend I prefer spending time at home helping out right now aswell

Weekdays is easily to slip out and play a bit (9 hole comp tomorrow for example)

I'd like to see it change somehow so everyone wins

Golf is changing for sure and it's a modern club so they want to move away from any stuffiness so might be easily swayed

D

Deleted member 3432

A simple solution for clubs with different membership categories would be to cater for these members by running regular competitions for them.

For a variety of reasons they are not a lower standard of member, just restricted to when they can play.

Weekend only competition golf is very out of sync with the modern working and family environment.

D

Deleted Member 1156

Only the club championship. Nothing about all the medals etc. Just club championship
I've been a member at a few clubs in my time and club championship has always been held at the weekend. If I was joining somewhere as a 5 day member and wanted to play club champs then I would ask at the time if it was possible. Sounds to me like your mate only has himself to blame.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
If I'm not working a weekend I prefer spending time at home helping out right now aswell

Weekdays is easily to slip out and play a bit (9 hole comp tomorrow for example)

I'd like to see it change somehow so everyone wins

Golf is changing for sure and it's a modern club so they want to move away from any stuffiness so might be easily swayed
To solve this problem they might get rid of 5 day members.
So unintended consequences
Personally I think you should be a full member to win any board comp.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
most clubs have different champs, Ladies, juniors, seniors..... why not a 5 day champ... call them the "part time, not weekends" Champ ?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
most clubs have different champs, Ladies, juniors, seniors..... why not a 5 day champ... call them the "part time, not weekends" Champ ?

But could you exclude the 7 day "full" members?

If you didn't the winner would actually be the best golfer as everyone would be able to play

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
By charging an appropriate fee for 5 dayers to enter the Club Championship the club are making a bit of extra cash and allowing all members a chance to enter.

Its not as if the 5 dayers are getting something for nothing..they could be paying a couple of weeks worth of subscription to play in it.....
I can't see the issue...most who are 5 dayers do so because they either can't/won't play at weekends or can't afford the extra subs...
I suspect the majority of 5 dayers wouldn't play for one of those reasons and those that would are swelling the coffers.....
What's not to like?
I didn't play CC at my last club because it was over the weekend and I would lose 2 days worth of work...not that I had a cat in hell's chance of winning it anyway :LOL:

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
By charging an appropriate fee for 5 dayers to enter the Club Championship the club are making a bit of extra cash and allowing all members a chance to enter.

Its not as if the 5 dayers are getting something for nothing..they could be paying a couple of weeks worth of subscription to play in it.....
I can't see the issue...most who are 5 dayers do so because they either can't/won't play at weekends or can't afford the extra subs...
I suspect the majority of 5 dayers wouldn't play for one of those reasons and those that would are swelling the coffers.....
What's not to like?
I didn't play CC at my last club because it was over the weekend and I would lose 2 days worth of work...not that I had a cat in hell's chance of winning it anyway :LOL:

Exactly .

If just 4 X 5 day members entered that would be £200 to the club

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Entered the 9 hole midweek comp this morning, the GM had quick chat before hand , we agreed to have a proper chat another time but he said it's something he wants to evolve going forward and possible more midweek comps as they are becoming more and more popular

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site

What's not to like?
My experience of club championships is that they are over subscribed. At our place it’s full members only, if it were opened up to other membership types and full members were denied an opportunity to take part as a direct result of this it would become an issue.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My experience of club championships is that they are over subscribed. At our place it’s full members only, if it were opened up to other membership types and full members were denied an opportunity to take part as a direct result of this it would become an issue.

I agree that should be two sign up slots if it happened .. 7 days first then any 5 day members

Howevers ours is all 07:30-12:30 tee times so loads space

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Entered the 9 hole midweek comp this morning, the GM had quick chat before hand , we agreed to have a proper chat another time but he said it's something he wants to evolve going forward and possible more midweek comps as they are becoming more and more popular

That sounds like he's definitely given it some thought which has to bode well going forward

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
What's the score!

Normally like yesterday it's the day my game goes missing for front 9 and ends my participation in the top 3 prizes. Sunday is to restore faith in my handicap / ability to think. #CBD

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Screenshot_20211105-082937.png

All change all change ..

Next year 5 day members can enter the club championship..

Club championship to be 2 days now

I've noticed also the minimum cards for board comps

Nice to see they listen to feedback