Cheating Is Rife i think ,

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played a jnr scratch cup yesterday , hiked a ball way left on 3rd hole thru the trees , hit a provo & went looking , i was careful going thru the trees as i was going onto 4th fairway side & could hear voices ..

As i emerged there was a 3 ball just finding a ball .. guy whos ball had been found had obviously hit a provo as one of the others walked over and tossed him his provo , all good ( they still hadnt seen me at this stage ) as guy who thre the ball turned to go away , the guy at the ball picks up his original ball and places it nicely in the rough..

now things got going ..

There is no placing today i told him , he got fright of his life ..

HIM ..i didnt know that we are visitors ,
ME .. you didnt know you cant place ur ball ? was my reply ..
GUY 2 ( who had thrown ball & not seen the placing) said we should move on as group behind ere teeing off
Guy 3 other guy says what up ?
ME ur mate here placed the ball in the rough i was advising him there was no placing
Guy 3.. (rude word) off & play ur own game
Me.. we are playing the same game, well the same comp as it happens ,
Guy 3.. so what ?
Me.. nothing but i will be reporting it and if you wana wait il meet u in clubhouse to witness it
Guy 3 storms off mumbling ..

Later in round the skys opened with rain , we played on but group behind stood in out of it & waited for it to stop
(they were not delaying anyone tbh) & lost 2 holes on us , when i explained it to them afterwards (we know them) the replys were . i wasnt playing in that anyhow & sure we didnt hold anyone up , but they didnt seem to care , all had rubbish scores anyhow ,

But to me cheating is rife in the game , whats ye'r thoughts

Sorry for long post :rant:

D

Deleted member 16999

The placing in the rough is deliberate cheating, the 2nd one I'm sort of on the sidelines, I accept we should abide by all the rules but the keeping dry in a downpour, I sort of don't mind.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Heard through the grapevine that a junior at a neighbouring club has recently been named, shamed and banned for 3 months 'no idea what he did' though someone did mention that maths wasn't one of his strongpoints !... :whistle:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The placing in the rough is deliberate cheating, the 2nd one I'm sort of on the sidelines, I accept we should abide by all the rules but the keeping dry in a downpour, I sort of don't mind.

Up to a point I agree but what if you're on a part of the course with less cover and so can't stop to shelter. Personally I'd have no issue if a group wants to stop and let us through but how long do you wait and how many groups coming through is acceptable before it must surely infringe the rules to the point of no return

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
The cheating depends on who you are as a person and what kind of round it is you're playing. For me if I went up to the club tonight had 9 holes, knocked one in the trees, I'd placing in the rough and continuing from there. I know the point you're making and when practicing no harm no foul.

In a comp however, different altogether, play the game by the rules, twice in the last two weeks I've called double hits on myself when chipping, no one else saw or heard, but I still called it.

D

Deleted member 16999

Up to a point I agree but what if you're on a part of the course with less cover and so can't stop to shelter. Personally I'd have no issue if a group wants to stop and let us through but how long do you wait and how many groups coming through is acceptable before it must surely infringe the rules to the point of no return
Hence why I'm sitting on the fence with the second one, there was no issues caused by the group stopping in the op, on the other hand it doesn't matter if me or you have no issues with it, it's still against the rules.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hence why I'm sitting on the fence with the second one, there was no issues caused by the group stopping in the op, on the other hand it doesn't matter if me or you have no issues with it, it's still against the rules.
I think this sums it up mate it might seem ok but its against the rules as in equity it may, possibly would give the ppl standing in an advantage over those that played on ..

moogie

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think this sums it up mate it might seem ok but its against the rules as in equity it may, possibly would give the ppl standing in an advantage over those that played on ..

I know it's a case of rules is rules
Break 1 , let 1 go , what else do you let go
But......I can honestly say I'd never pull anybody up if they did the above (take shelter) , nor would I mention to anybody, as it just wouldn't bother me 1 little bit

My view, no doubt, will be frowned upon by some, but so be it, Each to their own

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
To me it's the same for everyone, I'd be heading for cover rapidly and I'd expect everyone else too n'all, if they choose to carry on and not find shelter 'well' that's their owns stupidity, golf is meant to be enjoyable, I for one don't find getting a soaking a particularly enjoyable experience...

D

Deleted member 16999

I know it's a case of rules is rules
Break 1 , let 1 go , what else do you let go
But......I can honestly say I'd never pull anybody up if they did the above (take shelter) , nor would I mention to anybody, as it just wouldn't bother me 1 little bit

My view, no doubt, will be frowned upon by some, but so be it, Each to their own
That's why I find it a difficult one, if it's 1 group, were's the harm, but who decides how many is an issue and when it's too wet? If 4-6 groups take shelter and more than that don't, then when 4-6 groups wish to carry on, they'd expect to be allowed back in the round, I wouldn't be happy to suddenly be standing around waiting for them all to fit in.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
In comps you shouldn't stand in. Put your brolly up and get on with it. You can slow down a touch and put on wet gear etc and hope that it passes but not unduly hold up play or lose the group ahead.

Bounce game you can stand in till your hearts content. Stay dry all you like. in comps its the luck of the draw sadly.

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
What happened when you eventually reported them and why were three mates playing together in it in the first place?
I reported it to one of the committee , it was 2 groups ahead of us so was easy to find out who they were , told him what happened and gave him my number , id say if they not in prizes there will be no more about it , and havent heard anything since

As for playing together they are just scratch cups , ie just open stroke play comps , so u just book when and with who u nlike online

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think its far rifer (why did I think that wasn't a real word!) than we see

Played with a bloke who hit his tee shot into long grass (no provisional) and after search he came out with a 'piece' of a scabby ball stating it was his, few holes later he pushed one into a planted area and came out with this thing that must have been in the ground since the inaugural round was played on the course

He rarely marked the ball at that time, he does now

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Standing in while it's raining is against the rules??? Hahahaha I've heard it all now! This is nonsense, ignore it and carry on. Nothing for anyone to worry about, apart from the group trying to avoid going for a swim..