Casual water on green

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
What's the ruling if a green is almost completely submerged in water.
Saturday and the pin was about 6 feet on and 6 feet in on the green. The full middle of the green was under water. The ball landed on the back of the green in a shallow puddle, but with the water between the ball and hole. Taking a drop and leaving the ball on the green would have meant it would have been closer to the hole. Taking a drop of the same distance would have meant dropping it off the green, the exact distance would have actually been in a bunker.
So what the correct course of action there?

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Nearest point can be off the green but not in a hazard iirc, if you can't take full relief then you must take maximum available relief.

Think you can place it as well, certainly if your nearest point is on on the green, think that also applies if you have to go off the green

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Nearest point can be off the green but not in a hazard iirc, if you can't take full relief then you must take maximum available relief.

Think you can place it as well, certainly if your nearest point is on on the green, think that also applies if you have to go off the green

Correct - except the 'can' in 'can place' should be 'must'!

Here's the wording - from 25-1 b. Relief
On the Putting Green: If the ball lies on the putting green, the player must lift the ball and place it, without penalty, at the nearest point of relief that is not in a hazard or, if complete relief is impossible, at the nearest position to where it lay that affords maximum available relief from the condition, but not nearer the hole and not in a hazard. The nearest point of relief or maximum available relief may be off the putting green.

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
So the nearest point of relief not closer to the hole would have been off the green on the other side of the bunker, leaving a very tough shot over the hazard to the pin. After hitting a 180 yard tee shot to 30 feet.
Rough game this golf can be sometimes!!

woody69

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Correct - except the 'can' in 'can place' should be 'must'!

Here's the wording - from 25-1 b. Relief
On the Putting Green: If the ball lies on the putting green, the player must lift the ball and place it, without penalty, at the nearest point of relief that is not in a hazard or, if complete relief is impossible, at the nearest position to where it lay that affords maximum available relief from the condition, but not nearer the hole and not in a hazard. The nearest point of relief or maximum available relief may be off the putting green.

You don't have to take relief from abnormal ground condition? The "must" only applies if you do decide to take telief?

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
In cases where the green is submerged then I question why the course is being played. Certainly in our Comps at this point we seriously consider suspending the comp.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
In cases where the green is submerged then I question why the course is being played. Certainly in our Comps at this point we seriously consider suspending the comp.

At what point are you as a player allowed to suspend play without disqualification?

We only hear a klaxon for lightning

Simbo

Tour Rookie
Visit site
There appeared to be a problem with the drainage just on that hole, it looked like the drain was blocked up and the water couldn't drain away properly, the placid drain cup had come up and everything. I was one of the first on the course and the rain had been heavy the night before so maybe the greenkeepers hadn't had time to rectify it or something, the rest of the course was reasonably ok, only one other green had a small puddle on it. I was scoring well and only had 2 holes to go which I would have needed to walk up 17 and 18 to get in anyway so I just mept going.