Red posts around water

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
I think if a club has a No Play Zone, and as a player you do not know it is a No Play Zone when you find your ball in it, then I'm guessing the failure is with the Club Committee in not making it clear, rather than you as the golfer. If it just has a white ring around it, like any other area of land that is marked GUR in the same way, then you'd be forgiven in thinking it is GUR as well.
When I'm marking a course for competitions, I will paint the area with white paint, and then paint a large "NPZ" just outside the area. If the area is large, more "NPZ" may be required. It is also included in the Notice to Players.
One would expect similar markings and/or communication for club play, competition or not. There's obviously a reason for making it a NPZ and that reason needs to be respected!

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
When I'm marking a course for competitions, I will paint the area with white paint, and then paint a large "NPZ" just outside the area. If the area is large, more "NPZ" may be required. It is also included in the Notice to Players.
One would expect similar markings and/or communication for club play, competition or not. There's obviously a reason for making it a NPZ and that reason needs to be respected!
My County (and my Club) do the same but we have wooden NPZ signs to stick in the ground.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My club has roped-off three areas that are still very wet…the ropes completely define the areas that are NPZ - plus they are obvious as they have not been cut consistent with the General area or adjacent areas of rough. In advance of any competition all entrants are emailed the conditions of competition for the competition, and state any local rules that are active and identify all areas that are NPZs , with drop zones and other relief options for each specified.

Last edited:

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Why do you paint the NPZ outside it rather than inside it ? Are you not marking the whole course as a NPZ, and the only place to play from, the NPZ itself ?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
Why do you paint the NPZ outside it rather than inside it ? Are you not marking the whole course as a NPZ, and the only place to play from, the NPZ itself ?
It's just a "sign" for the players, and there may be reasons why I don't want to or am not permitted to enter.