Red posts around water

salfordlad

Visit site
We have a couple of ‘No Play Zones’ and I struggle to understand the difference between what makes part of the General Area GUR but not a NPZ. Couldn't we just do away with GUR altogether and tweak relief options accordingly so the relief from NPZ is same as what we get from GUR…indeed they seem the same already.
They are chalk and cheese. GUR is where relief is available optionally - pure player choice. A No Play Zone is compulsory get out of there, no permission to play from that spot. Both have a specific and important role to play, but very different roles. NPZs can also be either abnormal course condition or penalty area (Committee to confirm). These are all important tools for the Committee to determine the nature of the challenge they wish the course to represent and there is no logic in tying the Committee's hands by restricting these tools.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
They are chalk and cheese. GUR is where relief is available optionally - pure player choice. A No Play Zone is compulsory get out of there, no permission to play from that spot. Both have a specific and important role to play, but very different roles. NPZs can also be either abnormal course condition or penalty area (Committee to confirm). These are all important tools for the Committee to determine the nature of the challenge they wish the course to represent and there is no logic in tying the Committee's hands by restricting these tools.
Ok…understand difference.

My thought came from fact that at my place they seemed the same as we have it that taking relief from GUR is mandatory…I think…🤔 But I best check.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
When our greenkeepers laid new turf or grass seed, the area contained a sign that said ''play prohibited''
Simple
Simple no doubt, but such a sign has no significance in terms of the Rules and therefore no golfing penalty for disregarding it. That could be dealt with only through club disciplinary action. Nor does it relate to any relief rule to tell the player what he can do.

Last edited:

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I thought I heard wrong, obviously not.
Bonkers mental. (In my opinion)
You can add it to the list of other things you can do in a penalty area, like playing your ball as it lies, grounding your club, taking practice swings, removing loose impediments, moving a movable obstruction. In short, you can play it under all the rules pertaining to a ball in the General Area. About the only things you can't do are to take unplayable ball relief or relief from an immovable obstruction or any other abnormal course condition.

Last edited:

salfordlad

Visit site
Yes our is the same.

you are not allowed to play from GUR.
Since 2019, the MLRs do not make provision for "GUR" that requires compulsory relief. There is provision for No Play Zone (Abnormal Course Condition). Five years on, some clubs still haven't managed to update their MLRs to the current available set.

D-S

Visit site
RBs provide guidance on this in Committee Procedures 2G and in 5B(5). Basically, Committees just need to be very clear about what is what.
Thank you, an interesting read, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a post with a green top (or maybe I have but didn’t appreciate the significance). Good to know.

Swango1980

Visit site
Most courses I know merely spray white lines around any areas that are GUR, they don't write GUR in any or every patch. I merely want to know what is the correct procedure for differentiating markings.
I think if a club has a No Play Zone, and as a player you do not know it is a No Play Zone when you find your ball in it, then I'm guessing the failure is with the Club Committee in not making it clear, rather than you as the golfer. If it just has a white ring around it, like any other area of land that is marked GUR in the same way, then you'd be forgiven in thinking it is GUR as well.