Can you really call yourself a low handicapper.....

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you never leave your home club to play opens/scratch events etc?

no agenda here, just intrigued as to people's views on the matter

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Low to me is Cat 1, we have a girl who plays off 5, she works full time so only has chance for one maybe 2 games a week so doesn't get the chance to play at other comps, I would class her as a low handicapper

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
Im sorry but that's absolutely ridiculous. So off 2, I'm a mid handicapper?? 😂

Chomper! :D

I think I have more respect for those that play lots of qualifiers and at different courses but don't think someone who sticks to their own course invalidates their handicap.

TheJezster

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you have a low handicap you are a low handicap player. Simple as that, no ifs no buts no maybes. Oh and LOL at only being low at 0 or better! Gotta love throwaway comments where you wish you could take them back after they've been said out loud 😂

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Chomper! :D

I think I have more respect for those that play lots of qualifiers and at different courses but don't think someone who sticks to their own course invalidates their handicap.
that's well put, and I think we have a similar view. I think sometimes I see people at my club off a similar handicap and think (maybe wrongly),'there is no way we are the same standard of golfer'.

and then on the flip side I'll play in some opens with someone off 1 or lower, and think, 'I am so far from being as good as you it's a joke'

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
that's well put, and I think we have a similar view. I think sometimes I see people at my club off a similar handicap and think (maybe wrongly),'there is no way we are the same standard of golfer'.

and then on the flip side I'll play in some opens with someone off 1 or lower, and think, 'I am so far from being as good as you it's a joke'

I always think players around my handicap are better than me!

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site

So do I.

Usually because they are :rofl:

"If" SSS/CSS works correctly (maybe another thread) then not sure what the difference is?

I wouldn't class myself as low (4/5) and play a fair number of away qualifiers every year. Most of the 36 hole/opens I play tends to see CSS go up so maybe easier to buffer or get a cut? Although not sure that has any bearing as I don't really know how CSS is worked out

Last edited:

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

I used to think that. You watch a pp murder a drive, and think wow, that's awesome. Yet time after time you're up there with them. I think watching a ball from the side gives a different perspective of distance than when you're immediately behind the ball.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lets be honest. We knock it round the same course for the majority of the year and by and most, the course is giving us shots.

Unless you have a + in front of your handicap then you aren't really all that good.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd agree with low being a handicap of 5 and under. To get down to and stay at that sort of handicap takes far more quality golf consistently than say a 17 handicapper like myself knocking 5 shots off my handicap.

D

Deleted member 15344

low handicapper is subjective

low to me is 0 or better

Really ? So anyone who isn't Scratch is a mid or high HC !?

Is that not a bit ridiculous

And in answer to your question Sam - it doesn't matter if you play Opens or not if you are Cat 1 then you're a low HC

Playing Opens/Scratch events whilst are good for some are just too competitive- I have enjoyed the ones I have played in but I don't bother with them anymore - rather play with friends

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
you say intrigued by views then jump down people's throats

"Low" is subjective.

handicap categories are not.

Mid handicaps tend start between 18 and 12 depending on who you ask.

Low starts between 8 and 0 usually.

Me <14 high, 14-8 mid, 8>low

So in my definition you don't need to play opens to be low.

Maybe to be a complete low handicapper you need to? Test yourself elsewhere.

Mathematically you could define low/high/mid based on range and either median or mean. Chopping up a population of handicaps into thirds.

Last edited:

FairwayDodger

Money List Winner
Visit site
I used to think that. You watch a pp murder a drive, and think wow, that's awesome. Yet time after time you're up there with them. I think watching a ball from the side gives a different perspective of distance than when you're immediately behind the ball.

Yeah, must admit that I've noticed that too.