Can you really call yourself a low handicapper.....

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I think you can easily call yourself a low handicapper even if you can only achieve it on one course but there can be little doubt some 2 handicappers are better than other two handicappers simply due to differences & difficulty of the courses

But this isn't restricted to low handicappers, some cat 2's wouldn't cut the mustard on a tougher course, same for cat 3 & 4 though

I think the group that might feel the hurt most is the ones who describe themselves as a 'single figure' golfer (because they honestly have done really well to achieve that standard)... but they never add.... its a sub 6000 yard course with no water and 4 bunkers! :eek: ;)

User20205

Money List Winner
Visit site
Is it not easier to get cut/maintain a lower handicap by playing opens? Because of the css invariably going up, especially at the bigger events?
If this is the case (& I don't know it is), is it not harder to maintain a lower, cat 1 handicap, by playing your own course exclusively?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Is it not easier to get cut/maintain a lower handicap by playing opens? Because of the css invariably going up, especially at the bigger events?
If this is the case (& I don't know it is), is it not harder to maintain a lower, cat 1 handicap, by playing your own course exclusively?

I was chatting to a 3 handicapper at my place a couple if days ago who said he was thinking of playing a few opens to get his handicap down, as do some of the other low handicap guys

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
i meet my share of "low handicap" golfers and it always leaves me thinking "your club must be really easy".

the majority of low players imo simply crumble when presented with a challenging course.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

CSS can be higher but with a buffer of only 1 for Cat1 it's a double edged sword.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site

Im 100% certain I would be no higher than 1 if I played purely at the players. I track my performance across my 2 clubs and opens. If I break even at opens I've done well.

Spear-Chucker

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If you're a low handicapper (Cat 1), you're a low handicapper - irrespective of the number of where you play (within reason - pitch and putt doesn't count).

Getting to such a position is an indication of both physical and much more importantly mental ability. Pushing on towards scratch and beyond weights it even more towards the 6" between your ears. Many golfers 10 and below can hit it 250, have an arsenal around the greens and can putt a bit. Why are they not scratch though? Being 'low' means you've been able to put into practice the art of learning shots and figuring out how to put them to good use to make a decent score.

Playing away courses helps develop shot making, course planning and resilience which will all help a golfer grow and get better. Personally I thinks that's pretty important. The plus side for the hcp is higher CSS and even reduction only events (tough day on a links course anyone?) whereas your home course probably won't change a great deal and makes the process a little slower.

D

Deleted member 15344

The thing with Opens/Scratch events is because it's limited to cat 1 ( the balloted ones ) regardless of how the course is playing the CSS will always be high because of the people playing - so a lot of the people who play in these events can't actually play to their HC but CSS helps them out

Whilst there are a lot who manufacture their HC high there are also a lot who manufacture it to keep it low and a lot of Scratch events help them out - plenty of cat 1 and Lower who aren't really anymore

It's why I would certainly increase the amount of home qualifiers people are required to play to keep HC active

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have played of 2 hcap when younger and have never been off more than 6 in the last 30yrs.
My home course was a par 70 sss 69 this made it hard to get down any further.
I have moved now to 72 /72 but is 74 css in tough times.
I do believe some golfers are capable of being better but time is the biggest factor .
Work / Money Kids Wife all take time.
But you need natural talent .
opens give you an edge IMO if you can play other places well it helps at home.

I just play to enjoy it now but was very competitive years ago.

Imo anyone off single figures is a low hcapper and has done well to get there with all the things in life especially younger players these days

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
IMO there's too much difference between levels to have just a few categories

IMO:

+2 or below: Elite
2 or below: Very low
5 or below: Low
9 or below: Low Mid
13 or below: Mid
18 or below,: High Mid
23 or below: High
24 or above: Very High

I think the pros of playing in opens prettty much negate the cons

What I will say though is that IMO not all course ratings, and thus handicaps, are created equal

Take the Derby at The Belfry, I know people there whose handicaps really don't travel well

SSS = Par but it's short, flat, no rough, few hazards, runs fairly well, simple receptive greens and set up for beginnners. A decent player would tear it apart

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Apart from thinking below 6 is what I consider low, there is a lot of snobbery from the lows to anyone above 15 I think.
IF you aren't a pro, you're an amateur and as such we are all the same.:)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
The picture is a different one here in Germany (and I guess in other EGA countries as well if they start off a higher handicap). Everybody starts off a handicap of 54 as a beginner and almost half of all registered golfers in Germany have a handicap over 26. That's mostly due to the fact that you have to have a handicap to play, even on one of the few public courses. But that leads to the perception of what a low and what a medium handicap is being quite different. Everything in Cat 1 and 2, so below 11.6 is definitely regarded as low, everything better than 26 as medium.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
i meet my share of "low handicap" golfers and it always leaves me thinking "your club must be really easy".

the majority of low players imo simply crumble when presented with a challenging course.

Majority? Seriously?

Totally disagree with that. Having played with low handicap golfers I often marvel at their consistency and course management which creates their scores.

My mate hovers between scratch and 1 and it's a joy to see how easy he makes it look. In theory I'm only 5 shots worse than him but the gulf in class and ability is insurmountable. Difficult courses he's never far off of par or better. Easy courses it's a case of how hot he can get his putter.

Last edited:

jamielaing

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Apart from thinking below 6 is what I consider low, there is a lot of snobbery from the lows to anyone above 15 I think.
IF you aren't a pro, you're an amateur and as such we are all the same.:)

Off topic but I would disagree with that. I often find that they low players are more encouraging to high handicappers. A good friend of mine has dropped from 20-15 in the last year or so and he is adamant that, when he is drawn with the 2,3,4 handicappers they are very supportive and encouraging. It's the mid guys who get snobby about it.

Regardless of the category there will always be some bad apples though!