Caddying, anyone done it.

JPLon

Visit site
Glad I read this thread...never had a caddy but if I did I'd probably have tipped a tenner, £50 fee and tenner tip is 20%. I'd have thought I was being generous!

Having lived in London all of my adult life I've never seen service charge in excess of 12.5% (which is fairly standard) - was 17% for a huge group or something? Very surprised by that even if so

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Glad I read this thread...never had a caddy but if I did I'd probably have tipped a tenner, £50 fee and tenner tip is 20%. I'd have thought I was being generous!

Having lived in London all of my adult life I've never seen service charge in excess of 12.5% (which is fairly standard) - was 17% for a huge group or something? Very surprised by that even if so
Nope, Roux was just me and the wife, Manchester one was a work thing and i wasn't paying anyway, but 4 of us so not big parties don't the yanks work on 20% plus for this sort of thing?

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If I was having a caddy to play a prestigious course like Kingsbarns, St Andrews etc, especially for the first time I wouldn't have a problem paying the fee and a decent tip, in my view it's all about the experience.
Played in Barbados years ago and we tipped double, it was boiling hot, the local caddies were great fun and they earned their money that day.

I think typically in the UK we're very tight-fisted and don't like paying tips, go to the US and it's very much the norm.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Has anyone read the book "An American Caddy in St Andrews". Quite entertaining and eye opening to life as a caddy at St Andrews. It's a bit out of date now but they speak a lot about tips and what they think is fair and not fair.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think typically in the UK we're very tight-fisted and don't like paying tips, go to the US and it's very much the norm.

It's the norm in the US as wages in the service sector are still very driven by tips. Many states do not have a minimum wage, many that do it is not compulsory and is still quite low. Most of their salary could come from tips so when I have been there I know that and add it on to the menu charge as a matter of course. In the UK we now have a minimum wage that is law and that has lifted a sector where pay was notoriously low, I know as I did a bit of waiting tables when in 6th form all those years ago. It is a different way of doing things.

I have a customer from New York and she advised tipping between 10-15%. She never tips more than 15%.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
If that’s the basic pay, then it’s either accept it. Or back your personality to earn you more.

Ask you best mates their opinion. Do they think you’re good comomay and worth extra or not?

It's not basic. Where I caddy it's £45 + gratuity. That is what is on the wbside and what they are told. Thankfully the American, Swiss, Canadian, Swedish, etc have all been more than generous. Even the English gentlemen and ladies are thankfully a lot more understanding and generous than it appears that some on the forum want to be.

Bottom line is pay for a caddy if you wish one, if you don't or can't afford to use one then don't but to question what a caddy gets paid and what gratuity they get when you have no intention of using one is spamming at it's best.

Over and out.

D

Deleted member 16999

It's not basic. Where I caddy it's £45 + gratuity. That is what is on the wbside and what they are told. Thankfully the American, Swiss, Canadian, Swedish, etc have all been more than generous. Even the English gentlemen and ladies are thankfully a lot more understanding and generous than it appears that some on the forum want to be.

Bottom line is pay for a caddy if you wish one, if you don't or can't afford to use one then don't but to question what a caddy gets paid and what gratuity they get when you have no intention of using one is spamming at it's best.

Over and out.
If, I ever get to play these courses I’d happily use a caddy, the problem from yourself and Patrick is you’ve not stated what a fair tip is, 10% is an insult and 100% is great, what is fair? Or does that depend on the Caddy!
When we played TOC 2 of us gave the caddy £25 each and genuinely thought that was decent, would I have given him £50 on my own? Not sure tbh.

D

Deleted member 15344

Over and out.

What if the caddy is poor ? Should you still give him a good tip ? At the end of the day a tip is not part of the price - it’s extra money you are willing to give on top if you believe that the caddy has given you good service that deserves extra money.

If clubs believe that the caddy should get extra regardless then put the price up and give the extra to the caddy

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

Over and out.

A £5 tip is still a gratuity is it not?
I wonder if all those advocating payng the same again in a tip are as genourous with their own money when dealing with waiting staff or a hairdresser?

As to the second part. I’m never likely to own a Porsche or play premier league football but I’m pretty sure I can still discuss them if I so wish.

If you wanna tell us what we can and can’t talk about then suggest you apply to be a mod, that or get off your high horse.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Folks, think about the unintended consequences of not tipping a caddy. Ultimately fewer will do it and probably it will become harder to get one. This will probably therefore increase the standard price and so the good caddies (who get plenty of tips) will then earn closer to what the poor caddies get.

As I've pointed out, £60 or £70 a day is not going to sustain anyone for a serious career, beyond extending someone's holiday or as beer vouchers for someone with other interests or finance and who simply love the game.

Lets say a decent caddy earned £25,000 gross and worked 200 days a year. That is certainly a living wage, but he's hardly going to be rolling in it.

Working 200 days is probably going to mean 300 rounds?
That means he has to earn £125 per day or £83 per round. Doable, but he will need to get tips from multiple people in each group.

I would imagine the top caddies at St. Andrews do earn a bit more than that. Some days they will do 2 rounds but probably well over half of their income is in tips.

Ok, so the price is what it is and you either choose to pay it or not, but if you don't tip at least the standard amount to a good caddy you are effectively making the overall standard of caddy poorer and probably losing good people to game.

When I am in a position to play some of the top courses I will make sure I budget a caddy price into the equation as the almost all people I have spoken to say the caddy vastly improved the experience.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A £5 tip is still a gratuity is it not?
I wonder if all those advocating payng the same again in a tip are as genourous with their own money when dealing with waiting staff or a hairdresser?

As to the second part. I’m never likely to own a Porsche or play premier league football but I’m pretty sure I can still discuss them if I so wish.

If you wanna tell us what we can and can’t talk about then suggest you apply to be a mod, that or get off your high horse.

I agree with you in that why should you tip a caddie any more than your hairdresser or cabbie etc,

D

Deleted member 16999

Folks, think about the unintended consequences of not tipping a caddy. Ultimately fewer will do it and probably it will become harder to get one. This will probably therefore increase the standard price and so the good caddies (who get plenty of tips) will then earn closer to what the poor caddies get.

As I've pointed out, £60 or £70 a day is not going to sustain anyone for a serious career, beyond extending someone's holiday or as beer vouchers for someone with other interests or finance and who simply love the game.

Lets say a decent caddy earned £25,000 gross and worked 200 days a year. That is certainly a living wage, but he's hardly going to be rolling in it.

Working 200 days is probably going to mean 300 rounds?
That means he has to earn £125 per day or £83 per round. Doable, but he will need to get tips from multiple people in each group.

I would imagine the top caddies at St. Andrews do earn a bit more than that. Some days they will do 2 rounds but probably well over half of their income is in tips.

Ok, so the price is what it is and you either choose to pay it or not, but if you don't tip at least the standard amount to a good caddy you are effectively making the overall standard of caddy poorer and probably losing good people to game.

When I am in a position to play some of the top courses I will make sure I budget a caddy price into the equation as the almost all people I have spoken to say the caddy vastly improved the experience.
You’re missing the point, how can you budget in for a caddy if you don’t know what to tip?
Why should a caddy be relying on tips?
If a Caddy is worth £100.00 then that should be the hire charge, not £50.00 plus £50.00 tip.
If a Caddy doesn’t declare tips and isn’t paying tax and NI on them his 25 Grand is worth a bit more than a legalised 25 Grand wage.
Who decides the standard tip?
£50.00 hire
£5.00 crap
£10.00 not too bad
£20.00 ok
£30.00 good
Etc
Etc

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You’re missing the point, how can you budget in for a caddy if you don’t know what to tip?
If a Caddy is worth £100.00 then that should be the hire charge, not £50.00 plus £50.00 tip.
If a Caddy doesn’t declare tips and isn’t paying tax and NI on them his 25 Grand is worth a bit more than a legalised 25 Grand wage.
£50.00 hire
£5.00 crap
£10.00 not too bad
£20.00 ok
£30.00 good
Etc
Etc
Yeah, this is all nonsense. End of the day, tipping is generally 10% no matter what it's for, I wouldn't expect a caddie to be any different to a barber, waiter, etc in that sense. I certainly wouldn't expect one to tell me he was insulted if I did tip him 10%. :ROFLMAO: As you say, if £55 total with tip isn't enough for the caddy then they should put the starting price up, not just expect people to fill in the blanks with a bigger tip.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
£50.00 hire
£5.00 crap
£10.00 not too bad
£20.00 ok
£30.00 good
Etc
Etc

I thought we had settled at £20 to £30.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Yeah, this is all nonsense. End of the day, tipping is generally 10% no matter what it's for, I wouldn't expect a caddie to be any different to a barber, waiter, etc in that sense. I certainly wouldn't expect one to tell me he was insulted if I did tip him 10%. :ROFLMAO: As you say, if £55 total with tip isn't enough for the caddy then they should put the starting price up, not just expect people to fill in the blanks with a bigger tip.
all well and good but you are a well know skin flint who wouldn't even by a club shirt to represent his club:ROFLMAO:

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site

Why wouldn't you expect a caddy to be any different to a barber or a waiter?

I don't often use, or tip Barbers, but waiters have literally no skill level compared to a caddy. You could pretty much teach any able bodied person to be acceptable at this within a few hours.

A caddy has to know the course, has to reasonably quickly work out your game, has to know the lines or be able to read putts, has to give you yardages subject to the conditions, elevation, ground speed etc etc. and has to be fun and engaging for 5 hours on a golf course, possibly suffering the company of 4 absolute toss pots.

As I said, if people didn't tip then the service and ability of the caddies would deteriorate pretty quickly.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
all well and good but you are a well know skin flint who wouldn't even by a club shirt to represent his club:ROFLMAO:
Still funny after the 49th time mate, I think my sides have split. You're the one crying a river as you couldn't scrape a few quid together carrying someone's bag for 5 hours.

D

Deleted member 16999

Why wouldn't you expect a caddy to be any different to a barber or a waiter?

I don't often use, or tip Barbers, but waiters have literally no skill level compared to a caddy. You could pretty much teach any able bodied person to be acceptable at this within a few hours.

A caddy has to know the course, has to reasonably quickly work out your game, has to know the lines or be able to read putts, has to give you yardages subject to the conditions, elevation and has to be fun and engaging for 5 hours on a golf course, possibly suffering the company of 4 absolute toss pots.

As I said, if people didn't tip then the service and ability of the caddies would deteriorate pretty quickly.
Who tips the Greenkeepers or are they on rockstar wages, a lot of restaurant staff share the tips with the chefs, barmen etc