Caddying, anyone done it.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Anyone done caddying ? I'm thinking of giving it a bash, possibly not the easiest of work but seems decent dosh for what you do.

Not pro stuff like, just the touristy type.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Anyone done caddying ? I'm thinking of giving it a bash, possibly not the easiest of work but seems decent dosh for what you do.

done it a few times when they have been short for Yanks at my place. TBH if you get a good tip its OK by some tight buggers around and if you get one of them, you would potentially earn more stacking shelves in Lidle.

Ours is £50 plus tip so same again is OK, last time i got £5 tip which was an insult TBH and told him so.
5 hours carrying a back for someone who can't hit the ball on line or follow simple instructions on putting.

A few retired guys at my club do about 5 or 6 bags a week each, so potentially can earn over £500 a week if they are lucky

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Spoke to a guy yesterday who just did 3 days on the trot at £100/£80/£110, seems a fair wedge.

D

Deleted member 17920

Where are you thinking off caddying at?

We have one lad at our place who does it ad hoc and he has paid his subs for next year already.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
done it a few times when they have been short for Yanks at my place. TBH if you get a good tip its OK by some tight buggers around and if you get one of them, you would potentially earn more stacking shelves in Lidle.

Ours is £50 plus tip so same again is OK, last time i got £5 tip which was an insult TBH and told him so.
5 hours carrying a back for someone who can't hit the ball on line or follow simple instructions on putting.

A few retired guys at my club do about 5 or 6 bags a week each, so potentially can earn over £500 a week if they are lucky

Why should they tip extra? They have paid £50, the tip is optional.

I have heard enough to factor the tip in if I had used a caddy but I don't see why a tip in any situation should be expected when the person has already paid out a decent chunk.

D

Deleted member 16999

Do you also get a cut from the £50.00 they’ve paid?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Why should they tip extra? They have paid £50, the tip is optional.

I have heard enough to factor the tip in if I had used a caddy but I don't see why a tip in any situation should be expected when the person has already paid out a decent chunk.
its £50 plus a tip. £50 to carry a bag for 5 hours is only just over the living wage, why would you not tip if you chose to have a caddy???

D

Deleted member 16999

£5 goes back to the club
So you get £45.00 plus tips! I can understand a tip would be nice, but surely it would be better if there was a percentage shown as a guideline or put the price up and state no tip.

D

Deleted member 21258

its £50 plus a tip. £50 to carry a bag for 5 hours is only just over the living wage, why would you not tip if you chose to have a caddy???

I am not sure why you would expect a tip above being paid for being a caddy ?(prior to reading this forum, I would not have expected to pay anything more, as I had already paid for the 'caddy' :oops::oops::oops::oops:)

To be fair to the person you caddied for, he has paid £150 green fee plus £50 caddy fee plus the £5 tip(10% of the caddy fee) for 5 hours of golf, a fair chunk of money. Caddy tips are discretionary.

Not saying I agree with what level of the tip was or not, just trying paint the other sides picture, as he has spent £205 at the golf club and that ignores any money spent in the clubhouse, which all help to keep your membership fees low and the course kept in good condition.(y)

For me I only once had a caddy which was at Loch Lomond golf club and had a really interesting conversation with the guy(well the wife did and I listened in;)) about how he made his money and as Doon says make your money in the better months and/or do something else in the winter months to supplement the income.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So you get £45.00 plus tips! I can understand a tip would be nice, but surely it would be better if there was a percentage shown as a guideline or put the price up and state no tip.
i think they do give a guide in the T&C when they book and ask for a caddy. I thinks its min £30 tip

he was just a tight arse.

time i did it before got same again so £95 in total.

TBH i don't do it very often as that way less than what i get paid for my day job, but not bad for some of the old boys who are retired and want to do it.

I had a caddy at the Old course last time i was there and he got a £40 tip onto of his fee.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I am not sure why you would expect a tip above being paid for being a caddy ?(prior to reading this forum, I would not have expected to pay anything more, as I had already paid for the 'caddy' :oops::oops::oops::oops:)

To be fair to the person you caddied for, he has paid £150 green fee plus £50 caddy fee plus the £5 tip(10% of the caddy fee) for 5 hours of golf, a fair chunk of money. Caddy tips are discretionary.

Not saying I agree with what level of the tip was or not, just trying paint the other sides picture, as he has spent £205 at the golf club and that ignores any money spent in the clubhouse, which all help to keep your membership fees low and the course kept in good condition.(y)

For me I only once had a caddy which was at Loch Lomond golf club and had a really interesting conversation with the guy(well the wife did and I listened in;)) about how he made his money and as Doon says make your money in the better months and/or do something else in the winter months to supplement the income.
did you tip the guys at Loch Lomond?

D

Deleted member 16999

i think they do give a guide in the T&C when they book and ask for a caddy. I thinks its min £30 tip

he was just a tight arse.

time i did it before got same again so £95 in total.

TBH i don't do it very often as that way less than what i get paid for my day job, but not bad for some of the old boys who are retired and want to do it.

I had a caddy at the Old course last time i was there and he got a £40 tip onto of his fee.
Good on anyone getting a tip of 100%, I just thought the maximum in any business/workplace etc was about 20%.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

When in doubt standard tipping guidance is usually 10% of the amount isn't it? 10% of £50 = £5.

D

Deleted member 21258

did you tip the guys at Loch Lomond?

We did but really only after reading about things on here, I actually googled caddy tip before going, how embarrassing is that :oops:

From what I read it indicated £20-£30, so tipped the high end of £30. To think he may not have been happy is disappointing I suppose, hence why I replied to the thread as almost felt guilty, after reading your post.

All the best RandG and hope it works out for you, if you decide to do it, not a bad way to earn a living.(y)

For me personally I wont have a caddy again, as I like to play golf on my own. I like to read my own putts, find my own balls and hit driver when I like to. What was funny was he was telling me not to hit driver but I just ignored him and he would tell the wife the line of her putts for her to hit it about a foot wide of it as she isn't the best putter in the world. Wife and I had a proper chuckle afterwards, we are the hackers :ROFLMAO: )

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Whereabouts?

I've done it at a few of the Surrey courses in the past (not any more), while between IT contracts, and it can be good fun, especially when it's a 'celebrity day'. Also did Senior Open and Palmer Cup, so plenty of 'pressure' involved! Oh, and a few Wentworth Pro-Ams which are interesting mainly for the entertainment!

Tips were pretty/completely random - from 0 to £50. Many would hand a £5 tip back! I had a couple of (extremely minted) 'regulars' where it was always a tenner, but it was always an easy and entertaining round that I was 'happy' and would often pick up some extra from 'my man's' partner/guest. Apart from these, I'd expect at least £20 from players. I believe it's slightly different for 'premium' Scottish courses, where the expectation is higher. The 1 time I've requested a Caddy (2nd time round TOC in the day, so primarily a 'bag carrier') I tipped £40 and encouraged him to work on/with my fellow players, so/where he picked up more. The very 1st time round TOC, a top Caddy aided all of us, so I paid 'my share', plus bought him loads of drinks after the round!

Last edited: