Side Saddle putters

Mandofred

Visit site
Just thinking about tinkering a bit and I've looking at possibly getting hold of a side saddle putter like the Bomar below 1698144288031.jpeg
Or a Bobby Grace side saddle.

Any idea how to get hold them here in the UK? I've just had one of the guys in the pro shop take one of my old putters and he is going to try to bend the head into the correct angles and add an extra foot onto the shaft just so I can experiment a bit.

Mandofred

Visit site
What is the side saddle bit? Is that not just a centre shaft putter? (sits waiting to be publicly shamed for lack of knowledge.....)
I'm a decent putter, but I've always thought this way made more sense. The angle of the head into the shaft is steeper as well....rules limit it to 80degrees so you can't have the shaft straight up from the head. I just like to keep experimenting.....I've been using this the last couple of months on my Evnroll ER2
https://www.adoregolfgrips.com/bjm-...9uI9InbstcqhHFf9xNU4dZjRGBjfFzaBoCfR4QAvD_BwE

It's different, and golfers don't like anything different. I like change.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
i caddied for an American a couple of years ago that putted side saddle with a similar long putter. his one was more like a metal cube on a stick. i was thinking, watching this guy putt is going to be fun when i first saw it in the bag, but he putted really well with it esp from inside 10/15 feet. long putting and from off the green he found much harder. he's told me he had serious yips and this was the only way he'd found of being able to play still.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
i caddied for an American a couple of years ago that putted side saddle with a similar long putter. his one was more like a metal cube on a stick. i was thinking, watching this guy putt is going to be fun when i first saw it in the bag, but he putted really well with it esp from inside 10/15 feet. long putting and from off the green he found much harder. he's told me he had serious yips and this was the only way he'd found of being able to play still.
I would assume this if I saw anyone using one. I can't think of a single other reason why you would. 😆

Mandofred

Visit site
I would assume this if I saw anyone using one. I can't think of a single other reason why you would. 😆
What if you try it.....and you putt better? Would you then NOT use it because "real" golfers don't putt that way? It wasn't that many years ago that nobody really putted with their hands reversed.....now, lots do it. You see plenty of pro's reverse gripping now....even (deep intake of breath) with a finger down the shaft (shudder shudder).

I'm thinking of trying it not because I'm a bad putter (I'm not, low of 5.4 this summer at age 66) but because....why not? IFFFFF I try it and I putt better, why the heck wouldn't I use it? If I don't putt better, just go back to my old putter. No harm...no foul.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
What if you try it.....and you putt better? Would you then NOT use it because "real" golfers don't putt that way? It wasn't that many years ago that nobody really putted with their hands reversed.....now, lots do it. You see plenty of pro's reverse gripping now....even (deep intake of breath) with a finger down the shaft (shudder shudder).

I'm thinking of trying it not because I'm a bad putter (I'm not, low of 5.4 this summer at age 66) but because....why not? IFFFFF I try it and I putt better, why the heck wouldn't I use it? If I don't putt better, just go back to my old putter. No harm...no foul.
I just think it's incredibly unlikely that you'd putter with that thing, unless you had the yips and physically couldn't putt the normal way. It's like you telling me I could putt better standing on one leg - I guess I could, but I'm still not going to try it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I did, have a go with it a few times and though i found it awkward to us it worked well on short putts. not for me though weighed a ton and was poor from long range(for me anyway) and long range and off the green are strengths of my putting

Mandofred

Visit site
I did, have a go with it a few times and though i found it awkward to us it worked well on short putts. not for me though weighed a ton and was poor from long range(for me anyway) and long range and off the green are strengths of my putting
Like I mentioned...I'm having the pro shop convert an old putter (Odyssey Rossie)...at least the guy said he could. Obviously wouldn't be center shafted and I'd need to add some lead tape....but I didn't want to spend a gazillion Pounds on this experiment and a new Bobby Grace (or Bomar) would be more than I want to spend...yet, about the same as the new Evnroll I'm thinking about buying.

There is a guy I play with all the time who has the yips. He could really use something that is better at those short putts that he misses a lot. The only time I've seen him putt a lot better was when he played the front 9 and forgot his smoking vape.....he ran to the car after 9 to get it and then proceeded to go back to "normal" putting. You would think he would try NOT smoking while playing....

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Like I mentioned...I'm having the pro shop convert an old putter (Odyssey Rossie)...at least the guy said he could. Obviously wouldn't be center shafted and I'd need to add some lead tape....but I didn't want to spend a gazillion Pounds on this experiment and a new Bobby Grace (or Bomar) would be more than I want to spend...yet, about the same as the new Evnroll I'm thinking about buying.

There is a guy I play with all the time who has the yips. He could really use something that is better at those short putts that he misses a lot. The only time I've seen him putt a lot better was when he played the front 9 and forgot his smoking vape.....he ran to the car after 9 to get it and then proceeded to go back to "normal" putting. You would think he would try NOT smoking while playing....
it was surprisingly easy to keep online... for something that looked so ungainly and awkward. the whole side saddle this has its merits too. A friend of mine who was a really good ball striker but had this terrible involuntary twitch on short puts it was heatbreaking how may tap ins he missed... and i mean tap ins, inside a foot at times. he switched to these side saddle and though it looked awkward it worked. i also know a couple of guys with yips that switched to putting left handed (they were right handed players)

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Trouble is, today my putts went where I sent them. And the distance wasn't too bad. But I wasn't reading the greens properly. How can a different putter possibly help?
It can't in your instance.

What if you can read greens well, but your direction and distance control is poor? That's when a different putter might be the answer.