Caddying, anyone done it.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I generally tip if I'm out for a meal but only cash to whoever served me as they earn crap wages.

I can't foresee me ever hiring a caddie to carry a bag for me and tipping them.

Think it's a dam cheek to be asked to pay for something then only get that service on the condition you give a tip.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I haven't ever used a caddy but if the club said it was £50 plus a £30 tip then I think my view would be that it's an £80 charge and decide if i was comfortable with that price. If the caddy was poor I'd probably reduce the tip element and tell him why at the end

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Why should they tip extra? They have paid £50, the tip is optional.

I have heard enough to factor the tip in if I had used a caddy but I don't see why a tip in any situation should be expected when the person has already paid out a decent chunk.

Simply because you are hiring a service, you are leaning on that service for 5 plus hours, gaining their knowledge and help. They are also cleaning your club's, giving advice, looking for balls and £10.10 for five hours manual work is a joke.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Tipping or not tipping, considering you were quoted for a service and have paid for that service, is something you can go round and round on. Some believe in it, some don't, most are somewhere in the middle. I'll just take my own trolley :D

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Tipping or not tipping, considering you were quoted for a service and have paid for that service, is something you can go round and round on. Some believe in it, some don't, most are somewhere in the middle. I'll just take my own trolley :D
try that at TOC before 12 noon.... whole point of that is to encourage the use of caddy's and protect their incomes.

but its fine if you don't want to use one, but if you do chose to its a luxury service and deserves proper pay.

D

Deleted member 16999

Simply because you are hiring a service, you are leaning on that service for 5 plus hours, gaining their knowledge and help. They are also cleaning your club's, giving advice, looking for balls and £10.10 for five hours manual work is a joke.
Then the charge should appropriate and not have the caddies waiting to see if the customer is miserable or not.
We’ve gone from kids making a few quid to people supplementing their income to people who it’s their only income, surely for the protection of the last group it shouldn’t rely on goodwill.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Then the charge should appropriate and not have the caddies waiting to see if the customer is miserable or not.
We’ve gone from kids making a few quid to people supplementing their income to people who it’s their only income, surely for the protection of the last group it shouldn’t rely on goodwill.
true, but as you highlighted earlier, could be a tax issue.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

I think tipping service staff is fair enough (dependant on service) as they’re getting a low hourly rate usually. You tip based on them and not the food as such.

A caddy is different imo, it would be like order a meal and then deciding it was nice so you’ll pay the chef extra. If caddies were told instead of it being £50 and keep tips, it was guaranteed £75, but they lose tips. Would they still provide as good a service? For me, there’s no way I’d effectively pay someone £20 an hour to carry my clubs around. Especially hearing some of the remarks on here about how the cash cows (Americans) are thought of.

D

Deleted member 21258

true, but as you highlighted earlier, could be a tax issue.

Tips are income tax taxable(wont mention VAT), the only matter that changes is are they taxed at source by the employer or do you have to declare the tips to HMRC and pay tax on. As you are self employed as a caddie then tips form part of your income and should be declared as such (unless under certain limits laid down by law).

If you are suggesting to be illegal and not declare tips which according to some on here, make up almost half your income(yeek if not declaring), than sadly I would have to say the law is not on your side and if caught expect heavy penalties nowadays(the penalty regulations have changed quite a lot over the last few years and are much heavier than before)

Anyway I cant remember ever or seeing anyone tipping 17% in a restaurant that is as mental as tipping a caddy the same as their fee, just not in the real world with normal level of earners. If you want that level of tip from me, then price the service/goods at the level you want to start with rather than moan when the tip isn't 100%, which the rest of the real world does:eek::p

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I genuinely agree with you, but surely caddies can’t have it both ways.
who says they are having it both ways?

If you take a luxury service you would expect to pay for it wouldn't you
Tips are income tax taxable(wont mention VAT), the only matter that changes is are they taxed at source by the employer or do you have to declare the tips to HMRC and pay tax on. As you are self employed as a caddie then tips form part of your income and should be declared as such (unless under certain limits laid down by law).

If you are suggesting to be illegal and not declare tips which according to some on here, make up almost half your income(yeek if not declaring), than sadly I would have to say the law is not on your side and if caught expect heavy penalties nowadays(the penalty regulations have changed quite a lot over the last few years and are much heavier than before)

Anyway I cant remember ever or seeing anyone tipping 17% in a restaurant that is as mental as tipping a caddy the same as their fee, just not in the real world with normal level of earners. If you want that level of tip from me, then price the service/goods at the level you want to start with rather than moan when the tip isn't 100%:eek::p

was at a restaurant in Inverness two weeks ago which is part of the Roux Chain.. 17% service added to the bill. Then at another in Manchester last week where it was also added same 17% that can't just be a coincidence?

As for the tax, most of the guys that do it at my club are retired and they can earn up to a certain amount TF they say.. The guy i had as a caddy at TOC last year was an accountant, he gave me his card, i'd be surprised if he didn't declare it;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think tipping service staff is fair enough (dependant on service) as they’re getting a low hourly rate usually. You tip based on them and not the food as such.

A caddy is different imo, it would be like order a meal and then deciding it was nice so you’ll pay the chef extra. If caddies were told instead of it being £50 and keep tips, it was guaranteed £75, but they lose tips. Would they still provide as good a service? For me, there’s no way I’d effectively pay someone £20 an hour to carry my clubs around. Especially hearing some of the remarks on here about how the cash cows (Americans) are thought of.
you are not getting £20 and hour though are you? £45 is the fee and that's five hours at most courses providing caddys.. That's £9 and hour, the Scottish Living wage is eight pounds so hardly a fortune.

D

Deleted member 16999

who says they are having it both ways?

If you take a luxury service you would expect to pay for it wouldn't you
You agreed it could be a tax dodge!

If it’s a luxury service Then charge luxury service rates! You said yourself you told a client his tip was insulting, some would argue that’s rude.
If I hire a Ford Fiesta for a day I don’t expect the bill to match the Porsche rate.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
you are not getting £20 and hour though are you? £45 is the fee and that's five hours at most courses providing caddys.. That's £9 and hour, the Scottish Living wage is eight pounds so hardly a fortune.

My point was that some have said that the tip should be equal to the fee. If it’s getting near to £100 for what’s likely at most 5 hours “work” then imo that’s pushing it somewhat.

I’ve never had a caddie, and wouldnt due to the fact that my game is irratic enough that hitting the shots they suggest unlikely. But for someone to want let’s say £15 an hour to carry my bag and maybe read a few putts? Nah, not for me.

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
My point was that some have said that the tip should be equal to the fee. If it’s getting near to £100 for what’s likely at most 5 hours “work” then imo that’s pushing it somewhat.

I’ve never had a caddie, and wouldnt due to the fact that my game is irratic enough that hitting the shits they suggest unlikely. But for someone to want let’s say £15 an hour to carry my bag and maybe read a few putts? Nah, not for me.
Me either, only time i have one is at The Old course, because they don't let you use a trolley before 12 ish, but still gave the guy £90 for doing it as he earned it.

Plus why would i ask at 12 handicap for advice, like you would at my club;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
You agreed it could be a tax dodge!

If it’s a luxury service Then charge luxury service rates! You said yourself you told a client his tip was insulting, some would argue that’s rude.

If I hire a Ford Fiesta for a day I don’t expect the bill to match the Porsche rate.
i didn't say it was a tax dodge you highlighted there is a tax issue for the clubs, which it is.

your car analogy isn't the same as that's what not comparing like for like.

I'd agree and say charge £100 for a caddy end of, those that want them then pay a fair price, which i think £100 is for 5 hours work.
As for me telling the his tip was an insult, it was the other two guys got £80, mind you they didn't tell there bags not to spit on the greens;)

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
I won't be doing much caddying for £45 a time, if it is it'll be a short career.
If that’s the basic pay, then it’s either accept it. Or back your personality to earn you more.

Ask you best mates their opinion. Do they think you’re good comomay and worth extra or not?