Caddying, anyone done it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why wouldn't you expect a caddy to be any different to a barber or a waiter?

I don't often use, or tip Barbers, but waiters have literally no skill level compared to a caddy. You could pretty much teach any able bodied person to be acceptable at this within a few hours.

A caddy has to know the course, has to reasonably quickly work out your game, has to know the lines or be able to read putts, has to give you yardages subject to the conditions, elevation and has to be fun and engaging for 5 hours on a golf course, possibly suffering the company of 4 absolute toss pots.

As I said, if people didn't tip then the service and ability of the caddies would deteriorate pretty quickly.
You say that but we've all had bad waiters and waitresses haven't we? So there obviously is a degree of competency involved. Plus I think of it as the bill being for the food and the tip is extra for the serving staff specifically.

As mentioned, if the skill level is so high in caddying then the cost of them should just be raised rather than relying on people to tip more.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Still funny after the 49th time mate, I think my sides have split. You're the one crying a river as you couldn't scrape a few quid together carrying someone's bag for 5 hours.
I don;t think i am, had a caddy tipped him £40, payed a £40 tip in a restaurant a few weeks ago.. your where crying over a £15 tee shirt :ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

I don't often use, or tip Barbers, but waiters have literally no skill level compared to a caddy. You could pretty much teach any able bodied person to be acceptable at this within a few hours.

A caddy has to know the course, has to reasonably quickly work out your game, has to know the lines or be able to read putts, has to give you yardages subject to the conditions, elevation, ground speed etc etc. and has to be fun and engaging for 5 hours on a golf course, possibly suffering the company of 4 absolute toss pots.

As I said, if people didn't tip then the service and ability of the caddies would deteriorate pretty quickly.
all ways tip my barber, plus she's fit as;)

D

Deleted member 16999

Well like I said, when you work out the financials on that over x number of days a year, it seems a reasonable amount for someone to earn a wage to house, feed and clothe themselves and afford a few libations after spending the day exposed to the elements.
Hence my point that they should be booked at a decent rate and not have to rely on tips.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site

A caddy has to know the course, has to reasonably quickly work out your game, has to know the lines or be able to read putts, has to give you yardages subject to the conditions, elevation, ground speed etc etc. and has to be fun and engaging for 5 hours on a golf course, possibly suffering the company of 4 absolute toss pots.

The op has only just looked into doing it. So I doubt atm he could claim to have years of knowledge of said course. Also, the tip for any service is usally based in the interaction with the person. Maybe it makes more sense to have a higher basic rate. Maybe £75 and then only the best caddies who actually earn a tip get one, instead of it just being expected.

Re the bit in bold, all people dealing with the public take that chance.

JPLon

Visit site
[QUOTE="Bottom line is pay for a caddy if you wish one, if you don't or can't afford to use one then don't but to question what a caddy gets paid and what gratuity they get when you have no intention of using one is spamming at it's best.

Over and out.[/QUOTE]

Is it spamming? Or replying to a post which is the point of a forum? Just because you don't like the response doesn't mean it's spam! The fact people aren't aware a caddy should be tipped 100% of cost in the UK shouldn't be a surprise where a 12.5% tip is the norm for a service industry

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
The op has only just looked into doing it. So I doubt atm he could claim to have years of knowledge of said course. Also, the tip for any service is usally based in the interaction with the person. Maybe it makes more sense to have a higher basic rate. Maybe £75 and then only the best caddies who actually earn a tip get one, instead of it just being expected.

Yes - true enough.

And obviously there will be massively different skill levels in terms of caddies who are basically carrying clubs to the experienced guys who can read conditions, give you lines and read putts for you.

I personally wouldn't trust myself to read putts, especially longer putts and I don't consider it a great skill of mine, but I guess after a few rounds with 4 other players you would get to know the lines and could give people a reasonable idea.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

not necessarily, last time i worked really hard for my £5 tip. the bugger was in every bunker on the course, which i had to rake after he had taken 10 shots and not got out. read every putt only for him not to even know his his left from right. he shot 150. if i wasn't with him on his bag a doubt he would have got round under 200 that fiver was worth every penny;)

JPLon

Visit site
Nope, Roux was just me and the wife, Manchester one was a work thing and i wasn't paying anyway, but 4 of us so not big parties don't the yanks work on 20% plus for this sort of thing?

different world in the US (my wife's from California) but even so 15-20% is the norm for a taxi or restaurant/bar tab there....this implies 100% tip is the norm for a caddy. That sort of tip just makes me think they shoudl be charged at twice the price

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
not necessarily, last time i worked really hard for my £5 tip. the bugger was in every bunker on the course, which i had to rake after he had taken 10 shots and not got out. read every putt only for him not to even know his his left from right. he shot 150. if i wasn't with him on his bag a doubt he would have got round under 200 that fiver was worth every penny;)

I can see why £5 is insulting.

My point is simply that if you’d gotten £80 for the day (£75 basic), at least the days been a bit better. Granted they may be peanuts to you. Maybe it would be an idea for youngsters to caddy. They’re all fit as a fiddle and could do two a day as well as play.

Tbf, if I took 150shots around any course I’d probably not be in a generous mood either.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
What if the caddy is poor ? Should you still give him a good tip ? At the end of the day a tip is not part of the price - it’s extra money you are willing to give on top if you believe that the caddy has given you good service that deserves extra money.

If clubs believe that the caddy should get extra regardless then put the price up and give the extra to the caddy

Wrong.

It is part of the price. It is £45 plus gratuity. Not £45 plus optional gratuity.

As I said earlier nobody is forcing anyone to take a caddy. Nobody is demanding to be paid X,Y or Z. Sometimes it's nice to be appreciated.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
A £5 tip is still a gratuity is it not?
I wonder if all those advocating payng the same again in a tip are as genourous with their own money when dealing with waiting staff or a hairdresser?

As to the second part. I’m never likely to own a Porsche or play premier league football but I’m pretty sure I can still discuss them if I so wish.

If you wanna tell us what we can and can’t talk about then suggest you apply to be a mod, that or get off your high horse.

The fact that you don't have a clue what you are talking about doesn't help your own ignorance on the subject so for the benefit of those who do please hold yer wheesht.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I can see why £5 is insulting.

My point is simply that if you’d gotten £80 for the day (£75 basic), at least the days been a bit better. Granted they may be peanuts to you. Maybe it would be an idea for youngsters to caddy. They’re all fit as a fiddle and could do two a day as well as play.

Tbf, if I took 150shots around any course I’d probably not be in a generous mood either.
mostly the young lads and retired guys, some of them love it and a most would say £80 plus is average.
i don't do it regularly, just for the reasons ive stated before, 5 hours carrying a heavy bag and waiting hand and foot on someone who will be on the whole unable to follow any of the instructions they are given. plus i genuinely don't think a caddy helps some of these guys and def not pace of play.
last time The club where really short of caddys that afternoon plus those lot had asked for low handicap caddys. my mate had never done it and wanted to give it a got, FYI he got £85. But these guys where from Georgia and where all chewing tobacco and spent the whole round gobbing it out, including the greens. My mate wasn't going to say something as he was not experienced... so i told them not to spit on the greens.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
What other jobs are a caddies skills comparable to in terms of earning potential?

I don't think much else. Maybe a tour guide in a big city with multiple languages and different areas of interest in each tour.

If you think of other service sector type jobs. You can generally serve multiple people at any one time and several dozen in any one shift.

As a barber, on a busy Friday and Saturday they might cut 20 or 30 folks hair.

For a caddy, 1 job per day - maybe 2 if you get the 1st one away early enough.