Caddying, anyone done it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Are you fully balanced and have a chip on both shoulders

If you get a poor tip then maybe look at the service you provided , you have on a number of occasions criticised the visitors to your course even suggesting why do they bother with they are unable to follow instructions would suggest that you look down on the people ( seems to be mainly Yanks ) you caddy for - so maybe that attitude gets displayed on the course when caddying for them and then to call the tip insulting to them is not exactly going to win any friends. You took a caddy job expecting something that is optional and then threw your toys out when that optional wasn’t big enough.

where did you get i threw the toys out i didn't realize you were there, where you stalking me again?

D

Deleted member 16999

not in Scotland its not
Fair one, first figure was average over 30hr week.
The current National Minimum Wage is £5.90 per hour for 18-20 year olds, rising to £7.38 per hour for 21-24 year olds, then to the UK Government's "national living wage" of £7.83 for over 25s.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Because then you're not relying on people making up full amount on their own whim, and then being let down when someone only tips a standard 10 or 12%.

Please explain then why all the people I have caddied for seem to know what is "an acceptable" payment yet the usual suspects on here seem to have an issue with it?

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
How many people expect to live off of £10 an hour. Surely common sense comes into play??

And that's what I meant when I said the fee should be higher. If the club set the caddy fee I expect the club to do it at a rate acceptable to themselves and the caddy, for the job being done and for the duration of employment and the tip is the gravy to that meat

edit: whats being suggested is that the only reason an 80% tip is needed is because the caddy may not have any more work that day and that I've learned is the players responsibility who employed him in the morning (who tells the player this)

Last edited:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Please explain then why all the people I have caddied for seem to know what is "an acceptable" payment yet the usual suspects on here seem to have an issue with it?
It probably just wasn't the first occasion that any of them have made use of a caddy.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
And that's what I meant when I said the fee should be higher. If the club set the caddy fee I expect the club to do it at a rate acceptable to themselves and the caddy, for the job being done and for the duration of employment and the tip is the gravy to that meat

Again I shall repeat.

Why is it only on this forum that doesn't get it?

Why do the American visitors, the Swiss, the Canadians, the Finish, the English etc that all come looking for caddies all know to tip more than 10% that some on here seem to think is "good or acceptable"??

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
It probably just wasn't the first occasion that any of them have made use of a caddy.

Or are not as tight as a camel's back side in a sandstorm! Or maybe they did a little research, maybe they asked people in the know or how about they had a little bit of common sense!!

Not difficult.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Again I shall repeat.

Why do the American visitors, the Swiss, the Canadians, the Finish, the English etc that all come looking for caddies all know to tip more than 10% that some on here seem to think is "good or acceptable"??
As mentioned earlier, tipping culture is far more prevalent in America. I don't know about mainland Europe. And obviously those of on here were unfamiliar with the fact that caddies expect exorbitant tips because we've not hired one before.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Or are not as tight as a camel's back side in a sandstorm! Or maybe they did a little research, maybe they asked people in the know or how about they had a little bit of common sense!!

Not difficult.
In essence this is what we're doing now. Those of us that would have expected to give a standard tip have now learned that caddies are greedy swines. :)

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Again I shall repeat.

I'd suggest its possibly because they had cause to research it or ask beforehand and it has nothing to do with their nationality

D

Deleted member 15344

I suspect that you provide a very good level of service to the golfers you caddy for so you will get “appropriate” tips for that level of service but would you expect someone who is clearly not offering that same level to get the same sort of tip as you ? I just believe that the tip is a symbol of the service you are given - the caddies I have had - one was just brilliant and he got tipped very well and deserved it , the other was ok and got an ok tip

But maybe life would be easier if they were like Sunningdale where the caddy fee included the tip

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

Not difficult.

So in the same way if you call out a plumber for the first time you'd be a tad surprised at the extent of the call out fee. If you book a caddy for the first time you'd be a bit surprised at the extent of the tip, but you make no allowance for that in your comments

D

Deleted member 16999

Again I shall repeat.

Prestwick seem to give different advice.
CADDIES – FEES
All caddie fees must be paid in cash on completion of the round and made directly to the caddie. Gratuities are made at the player’s discretion and should be based on the level of service provided. As a general rule, a gratuity of £10 would be appropriate. If a caddie has assisted others in the group, at the player’s request, then a higher gratuity would be justified.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
CADDIES – FEES
All caddie fees must be paid in cash on completion of the round and made directly to the caddie. Gratuities are made at the player’s discretion and should be based on the level of service provided. As a general rule, a gratuity of £10 would be appropriate. If a caddie has assisted others in the group, at the player’s request, then a higher gratuity would be justified.

And what are Prestwick caddy fees or is that conveniently being left out?

Not sure why the sudden interest is in looking up fees from clubs. Take it from the horses mouth £70 is good anything more is a bonus, a good bonus.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Did you read that link? It clearly states not all employers in Scotland pay the living wage and the Scottish Government encourage all employers to pay more than the national minimum wage which is set by the UK Government.
Still less than the £10.00 per hour Caddy rate though eh! ;)

I think for the best what really needs to happen is that players must assume they are paying the caddy for a full day even if only using him for 5 hours so we need to think of it as an 8 or 9 hour round and pay them £10 per hour based on that

D

Deleted member 16999

Not sure why the sudden interest is in looking up fees from clubs. Take it from the horses mouth £70 is good anything more is a bonus, a good bonus.
£50.00 is their Caddy Fee,
Don’t start getting your knickers in a twist with me!
I’ve said from minute one the fee should be a lot higher so you’re not dependant on tips. I know you earn the money.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think for the best what really needs to happen is that players must assume they are paying the caddy for a full day even if only using him for 5 hours so we need to think of it as an 8 or 9 hour round and pay them £10 per hour based on that
Nope, see my reply to Jacko, they should be paid a proper rate. what if they admit it’s their 2nd job of the day, should it be reduced?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
CADDIES – FEES

£50.00 is their Caddy Fee,
Don’t start getting your knickers in a twist with me!
I’ve said from minute one the fee should be a lot higher so you’re not dependant on tips. I know you earn the money.

Not wearing any today. Therefore no twisting.