Caddying, anyone done it.

D

Deleted member 15344

Wrong.

It is part of the price. It is £45 plus gratuity. Not £45 plus optional gratuity.

As I said earlier nobody is forcing anyone to take a caddy. Nobody is demanding to be paid X,Y or Z. Sometimes it's nice to be appreciated.
So the level of gratuity will be up to the golfer and the level of service they receive - so if they think it’s poor they give a token £1 or £5 - there is no “set” fee or percentage. And I notice Narin for example it’s “discretionary” - so not complusory , so if someone gets a small or no tip then they have no cause to grumble , Dornoch the same and Dundonald where as at Sunningdale the caddy fee includes Tip

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So the level of gratuity will be up to the golfer and the level of service they receive - so if they think it’s poor they give a token £1 or £5 - there is no “set” fee or percentage. And I notice Narin for example it’s “discretionary” - so not complusory , so if someone gets a small or no tip then they have no cause to grumble , Dornoch the same and Dundonald where as at Sunningdale the caddy fee includes Tip

i suppose you are some sort of expert now then??

what it says is £45 plus discretionary gratuity, which is for a single and then one caddy for 4 players is £70 again plus des grat.

D

Deleted member 21258

Wrong.

It is part of the price. It is £45 plus gratuity. Not £45 plus optional gratuity..

Depends on which website you look on, as non say you have to :-

Nairn - £45 (plus discretionary gratuity)
Kingbarns - £55 plus gratuity

And according to the The Old Course website it says a lot more, which is really helpful and is what I googled when on holiday before playing Loch Lomond, hence why we gave £30 :-(quote)

Caddie Fees
  • Caddie fee: £50 + Gratuity
  • Trainee fee: £30 + Gratuity (May - September only)
  • Forecaddie: This is only allowed on days of high demand as agreed by the Caddie Manager. On all other occasions the policy of one caddie per player applies.
Caddies will carry one bag and payment should be made directly to the caddie on completion of your round in cash (Pounds Sterling). A gratuity or tip should be based on the level of service provided and is entirely at your discretion. As a guide, tips generally start at £20 however, if you feel the service received has been exceptional and the caddie has enhanced your round the gratuity may exceed this.

As a result none of these website says it is 100% payable, even TOC say plus gratuity then goes on to say entirely at your discretion.

Personally I think caddie fees should be say £80, so the caddy feels he is paid suitably(y)

D

Deleted member 15344

i suppose you are some sort of expert now then??

what it says is £45 plus discretionary gratuity, which is for a single and then one caddy for 4 players is £70 again plus des grat.

So it’s still “discretionary” at the end of the day - not compulsory so the golfer has the choice to give a tip depending on the service given or how the golfer feels. I suspect they felt they didn’t get a great service hence the small tip.

Not sure what the expert stuff is about - just common sense.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
So it’s still “discretionary” at the end of the day - not compulsory so the golfer has the choice to give a tip depending on the service given or how the golfer feels. I suspect they felt they didn’t get a great service hence the small tip.

Not sure what the expert stuff is about - just common sense.
well judging by every other post you have made on here you are an expert in every subject going.

so have you every caddy'd of paid for a caddy?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
Depends on which website you look on, as non say you have to :-

Nairn - £45 (plus discretionary gratuity)
Kingbarns - £55 plus gratuity

And according to the The Old Course website it says a lot more, which is really helpful and is what I googled when on holiday before playing Loch Lomond, hence why we gave £30 :-(quote)

As a result none of these website says it is 100% payable, even TOC say plus gratuity then goes on to say entirely at your discretion.

Personally I think caddie fees should be say £80, so the caddy feels he is paid suitably(y)

£80 is more than reasonable.

Worst I have had has been £60 and that was a 6 hour round! £10 an hour is a bit miserable in my opinion.

At the end of the day I don't caddy full time. I do it if I'm asked because the club is struggling for caddies. I didn't complain at what I got nor would I complain. It generally balances itself out. I've had a couple of very very, bordering on ridiculous payments that go beyond generous. So as I say, rough with the smooth. It balances itself out.

I was offered a Scotty putter last year on top of the payment which I politely declined as I didn't think it was the right thing to do by accepting it.

I just laugh at the so called experts who think they know it all, funnily enough it's the same culprits.

D

Deleted member 15344

well judging by every other post you have made on here you are an expert in every subject going.

so have you every caddy'd of paid for a caddy?

There is no need to start getting the claws out - people are just giving an opinion.

No I haven’t caddied but I have paid for one - again what does that matter- the key word on your website is “discretionary” - that means “optional” - simple , it’s not compulsory.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
£80 is more than reasonable.

Worst I have had has been £60 and that was a 6 hour round! £10 an hour is a bit miserable in my opinion.

At the end of the day I don't caddy full time. I do it if I'm asked because the club is struggling for caddies. I didn't complain at what I got nor would I complain. It generally balances itself out. I've had a couple of very very, bordering on ridiculous payments that go beyond generous. So as I say, rough with the smooth. It balances itself out.

I was offered a Scott putter last year on top of the payment which I politely declined as I didn't think it was the right thing to do by accepting it.

I just laugh at the so called experts who think they know it all, funnily enough it's the same culprits.
same here, only done it a handful of times, the £50 being the lowest and £100 the highest, rest have been £80. its too much like hard work for me, I don't even carry my own clubs TBH;)

D

Deleted member 16999

What has a greenkeeper got to do with caddying?

What had a nurses wages got to do with it either?

Both are sod all.
People were bringing restaurant and other places of work in to it, Grant was posting about the knowledge of the caddies and the expertise they bring (despite the op saying he intends to caddy on a course he’s never played) compared to someone basically carrying food.
So places share the tips amongst all the staff, ie, the tip is given to the food carrier and the chef also gets a cut.
So for all the hardwork a caddy may or may not do, without the greenkeeper and other course staff they’d be useless, therefore shouldn’t a Caddy share their tip with the rest of the course staff.
Nurses tips come in the form of flowers and sweets or alcohol and again they don’t expect to be rewarded for doing their job.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
There certainly seems to be a gap between what (some) men on the street seems appropriate for a tip to someone in the service industry and what the caddy expects/needs for a living wage

Before this thread I hadn’t actually thought that the player had to make up the difference if my caddy was a full time person & only had one round that day

It does seem like the rate for the fee should be higher otherwise how does it comply with the minimum wage regulations?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There is no need to start getting the claws out - people are just giving an opinion.

No I haven’t caddied but I have paid for one - again what does that matter- the key word on your website is “discretionary” - that means “optional” - simple , it’s not compulsory.

Really, you are going with that one again, you started with a pop after all that's why you commented it always is. the first to have a dig then there first to complain when you get it back.

"I suspect they felt they didn’t get a great service hence the small tip" how would you know?

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
There certainly seems to be a gap between what (some) men on the street seems appropriate for a tip to someone in the service industry and what the caddy expects/needs for a living wage

Before this thread I hadn’t actually thought that the player had to make up the difference if my caddy was a full time person & only had one round that day

It does seem like the rate for the fee should be higher otherwise how does it comply with the minimum wage regulations?

Does it make a difference if the fee is £45 plus gratuity or £75 plus 10% gratuity?

I don't see what difference the starting fee is!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
with the whole comparisons thing with the service industry, a waiter may serve 100 people during there shift so a significant amount of tips IWI, hairdresser the same a caddy just the one usually.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Does it make a difference if the fee is £45 plus gratuity or £75 plus 10% gratuity?

I don't see what difference the starting fee is!
Because then you're not relying on people making up full amount on their own whim, and then being let down when someone only tips a standard 10 or 12%.

D

Deleted member 15344

Really, you are going with that one again, you started with a pop after all that's why you commented it always is. the first to have a dig then there first to complain when you get it back.

"I suspect they felt they didn’t get a great service hence the small tip" how would you know?

Are you fully balanced and have a chip on both shoulders

If you get a poor tip then maybe look at the service you provided , you have on a number of occasions criticised the visitors to your course even suggesting why do they bother with they are unable to follow instructions would suggest that you look down on the people ( seems to be mainly Yanks ) you caddy for - so maybe that attitude gets displayed on the course when caddying for them and then to call the tip insulting to them is not exactly going to win any friends. You took a caddy job expecting something that is optional and then threw your toys out when that optional wasn’t big enough.