Caddying, anyone done it.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Did you read that link? It clearly states not all employers in Scotland pay the living wage and the Scottish Government encourage all employers to pay more than the national minimum wage which is set by the UK Government.
Still less than the £10.00 per hour Caddy rate though eh! ;)
never said it was but in £6 something is different to £8 something, still pretty low for whats involved IMO

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
£50.00 is their Caddy Fee,
Don’t start getting your knickers in a twist with me!
I’ve said from minute one the fee should be a lot higher so you’re not dependant on tips. I know you earn the money.

Also to be fair Prestwick is a short course.

3 hour round on a good day.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The simple fact remains, that if I pay a caddy a set fee, agreed as per club/caddy master rules before starting, my tip would be subject to the level of service I received. It's a service thing in the same way as tipping in a restaurant or hotel. I would hope to get someone that embellishes the round and adds to my enjoyment and I'd recompense accordingly.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
So to summarize R&G, go for it, see how it goes and prey you don't end up caddying for anyone from the forum :LOL:

Only the ignorant don't understand.

I heard that KB was a bit of a closed shop when it came to getting your foot in the door. Good luck, it's great fun even in the Tom Kite weather you get some great days and laughs.

D

Deleted member 17920

On a slight tangent, would anyone tip a pro after a good lesson?
No because we are brits and brits don’t tip after reading this thread, now if you had taught in the land of the free you would have been loaded 😉

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Only the ignorant don't understand.

I heard that KB was a bit of a closed shop when it came to getting your foot in the door. Good luck, it's great fun even in the Tom Kite weather you get some great days and laughs.

That's very interesting because today I spoke to a woman who's Dad caddies at Turnberry and I mentioned me and Kingsbarns and she told me her Dad said KB was dog eat dog in regards the caddies, and I still find it slightly strange that in the email back I got the head man asked me to call him next week ? Not today or tomorrow but next week !!!

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
So to summarize R&G, go for it, see how it goes and prey you don't end up caddying for anyone from the forum :LOL:

Or pray you don't get a caddie that doesn't give you the advice to stay away from every bunker on the course and then it takes you 10 shots to get out.Then calls you out for being a mean bugger.
😀😀🤙

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
The thread is eye opening, apart from the top courses where you'll get high earners, I never saw caddying as a full time job to support a family. I saw it as student, older members or people doing it on the side as extra cash.

D

Deleted member 15344

It's certainly put me off caddying for some on here anyway :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

i wouldnt take much of it too seriously , the caddies i have had on the whole have been very good , especially one who was an older gentleman who enthralled us with stores etc as well as the lines etc etc.

Some overreact on here a touch and i suspect 99% of the caddies at courses are first class

HankMarvin

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Well I can't believe how tight some if you guys are out there talking about A £5 tip, if i was a caddy and some tight git handed me a fiver I would give him it back and ask if he had kids and if he did I would give a further £1.50 for each kid and tell the tight git to buy them an ice cream.