Caddying, anyone done it.

NorwichBanana

Assistant Pro
Visit site
If you go to John Lewis, spend an hour looking at Tv's and then buy one based on the Sales persons advice......do you tip them? Or are they simply 'paid to do the sale'?

It seems that the caddies are paid to do the round, the tip is purely an extra if wanted.

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
I have only caddied a couple of times. The tipping culture in the America is completely different to over here and they have always been very generous. I have been tipped £35 and £70 on top of the flat rate of £50 for the round. I have also had a blast with them each time. I love it and will do it again I am sure.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I think it’s hard at the moment for a lot of people - not everyone can afford to dip there hands it to give extra to people - it doesn’t make them tight , lots of people no longer bonuses, zero hour contracts not much desposable income so people get a bit tight pockets

If you're a member of a golf club, have the latest iphone, have internet in your house etc etc, you're not poor.

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
If you're a member of a golf club, have the latest iphone, have internet in your house etc etc, you're not poor.

Thats hardly a sign of money in England....

And the other 2 can both be paid monthly. So whilst they may not be poor, it doesn't mean you have a massive surplus.

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
Thats hardly a sign of money in England....

And the other 2 can both be paid monthly. So whilst they may not be poor, it doesn't mean you have a massive surplus.

If you don't have money spare to spend, you don't indulge in luxuries, iphones/internet/golf club membership are not necessities in life, despite what some may think.

D

Deleted member 15344

If you don't have money spare to spend, you don't indulge in luxuries, iphones/internet/golf club membership are not necessities in life, despite what some may think.
I didn’t say people might not have money to spend - I said people might not have disposal income to be giving out tips all over the place , people can afford the stuff they want but need to keep the budget tight and any spare money they do have is kept for themselves. It’s not being tight it’s being sensible in a world that always seems to be on a financial cliff edge.
Someone can still afford to pay for luxuries but that doesn’t mean they should still tip people

Papas1982

Tour Winner
Banned
Visit site
The internet isn't a luxury.
But even if we agree they are, people get to choose what they indulge in. I'd certainly treat myself before i worried about treating someone effectively working for me.

D

Deleted member 17920

I have only caddied a couple of times. The tipping culture in the America is completely different to over here and they have always been very generous. I have been tipped £35 and £70 on top of the flat rate of £50 for the round. I have also had a blast with them each time. I love it and will do it again I am sure.
And you even got a compliment from them. One thought you was a good golfer 😂😂

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
one of the guys i played with yesterday gets 5 or 6 bags a week around Royal Dornoch from May to end Oct. he said his average was £80 with the tip. and yes he paid tax on it.

D

Deleted member 16999

one of the guys i played with yesterday gets 5 or 6 bags a week around Royal Dornoch from May to end Oct. he said his average was £80 with the tip. and yes he paid tax on it.
Is it £50.00 standard?

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Haven’t used a caddy in the uk for ages, but surely if the guy’s done a good job you’d tip.........divide the number of hours by the cost and think about the hourly rate he’s getting. I would expect the flat cost to assume an element of tipping.