Caddying, anyone done it.

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Tipping culture in America is still pretty big because traditionally service staff had very poor pay and conditions. I'm not sure if it's still the case, but it wasn't so long ago that waiting / bar staff would only earn their tips with no actual wage, holidays, sick pay etc.

Obviously in the UK this was not very common and staff would generally get a wage, and from 1997 or so, the minimum wage has been enforced.

As for caddies... I think this would definitely enhance the experience for those who are playing a course for the 1st time, and will probably only play it once on their trip.

However my understanding is that a group would get a caddy and it's not so much about carrying your bags, but explaining about a hole and a strategy for each hole. Especially at some of the old links courses with blind holes. Obviously on the fairway and the green, I would imagine a good caddy would be able to give everyone a quick line, subject to practicality.

Certainly there should be capacity for a decent caddy to earn a tip from 4 players in the group, rather than just the main person who they were caddying for. Clearly that turns a £45 fee into probably £60 to £100 in most instances.

Not that I've played with a caddy, but I think it is pretty uncommon for groups to go out at St Andrews, for instance, with multiple caddies. I also believe the full time caddies at St. Andrews will often do 2 rounds in a day during the peak season. But as has been said, there may not be much to earn off season. Lets say you earned an average of £80 a day for 220 days in a year... that's only £17,600. Ok for a youngster, or someone getting a bit of life experience for a few years, but obviously not much to base a career on.

Probably the average is more than that as the FT caddies will be doing 2 rounds for 5 or 6 days a week from May to September. And there is still plenty of golf played through the winter at most links courses and no doubt capacity to get a gig overseas through the winter.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
When in doubt standard tipping guidance is usually 10% of the amount isn't it? 10% of £50 = £5.
no most restaurants now charge 17% as standard.

I'd guess you wouldn't be paying for a caddy or playing and courses that had them andyway so you stick with your imaginary 10% love;)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
We did but really only after reading about things on here, I actually googled caddy tip before going, how embarrassing is that :oops:

From what I read it indicated £20-£30, so tipped the high end of £30. To think he may not have been happy is disappointing I suppose, hence why I replied to the thread as almost felt guilty, after reading your post.

All the best RandG and hope it works out for you, if you decide to do it, not a bad way to earn a living.(y)

For me personally I wont have a caddy again, as I like to play golf on my own. I like to read my own putts, find my own balls and hit driver when I like to. What was funny was he was telling me not to hit driver but I just ignored him and he would tell the wife the line of her putts for her to hit it about a foot wide of it as she isn't the best putter in the world. Wife and I had a proper chuckle afterwards, we are the hackers :ROFLMAO: )

I'd imagine if he did it for both of you and only got £30 i'd be pretty disappointed.. guys at my place expect to get double and often do if they caddy for a 4 ball

D

Deleted member 16999

I'd imagine if he did it for both of you and only got £30 i'd be pretty disappointed.. guys at my place expect to get double and often do if they caddy for a 4 ball
Is it a tax fiddle then? If the course had a no tip policy and charged £90.00 and kept £5.00 you’d be liable for tax on £85.00, if they charge £50.00 you are liable for tax on £45.00 and it’s your responsibility to disclose the tip.
The example above of only £17,600.00 sounds a lot better if it’s almost tax free.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Kingsbarns.

I've heard that an absolute minimum to expect would be £80 all in, my problem is I've never done it, nor played round Kingsbarns.
that won't matter, it will be a load of yanks who will struggle to break 100 anyway;). course will give you at caddy guide with all the yardages. so just give them distance, line off the tee ect and read putts. most of the guys i know who do it at Dornoch would all expect the min of £80 as well, just the odd skinflint... hopefully you won't have to do it for anyone on here:ROFLMAO:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Is it a tax fiddle then? If the course had a no tip policy and charged £90.00 and kept £5.00 you’d be liable for tax on £85.00, if they charge £50.00 you are liable for tax on £45.00 and it’s your responsibility to disclose the tip.
The example above of only £17,600.00 sounds a lot better if it’s almost tax free.
Yeah, pretty much. I heard the guy that was the caddy master at Kingsbarns a few years ago was getting £50K tax free. someone dobbed him into the IR and got fired and heavily fined

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
The guy I spoke to yesterday had blokes from Finland, said they were the worst golfers he'd ever seen.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Could be a bit of 'competition' then. But that figure doesn't seem too far off the mark - at least for 'competent' caddies! Not sure whether now is a great time to start, as the 'season' may be winding down.

The only real way to find out is to try it! You may be able to 'walk the course' either on your own or with another group to find out some of the intricacies - especially the greens!

A lot of caddying is about 'personality', both yours and 'your man's', and the atmosphere of 'the group'. If you click it can be great; if you don't, then it's you that needs (recognise and) to adjust!

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
It's not for this season, as I believe Kingsbarns shuts end of October til March, it's a general enquiry I've made, I'll be in the area over next summer. I got an email back from their caddy man to call him next week, thought that was slightly strange rather than ask me to call him this week or today etc but anyway, shall call him early next week.

D

Deleted member 17920

Kingsbarns.

I've heard that an absolute minimum to expect would be £80 all in, my problem is I've never done it, nor played round Kingsbarns.
If you are going to caddy at Kingsbarns you will do ok.

We played with a lad from Birmingham who moved up to Kingsbarns to caddy full time, he was earning enough throughout the summer so he only needed to do minimal work throughout winter when they didn’t need caddies.

And you get a better tip if you just make the experience a decent one, most ones I have caddied for never hit it on the line I told them, a bit like myself really 😀

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I use to do it as a junior at Coombe Hill and made some OK cash to supplement my pocket money. Really enjoyed it too. There are a couple of members at my club that use to work at Wentworth and Sunningdale and in the summer make some decent cash. Once I retire, and fitness permitting it's something I'd definitely consider doing

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
no most restaurants now charge 17% as standard.

I'd guess you wouldn't be paying for a caddy or playing and courses that had them andyway so you stick with your imaginary 10% love;)
I don’t think I’ve seen 17% anywhere, maybe a few places try 12%, but I always make them take it off, and I’ll tip based on the service received.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
i think they do give a guide in the T&C when they book and ask for a caddy. I thinks its min £30 tip

Must admit....if someone in advance told me what I would be expected to tip as "a minimum" I'd probably not bother having a caddy.

Its not that I don't agree with tipping... I'm just not going to be told how much I should tip. Its a bit like fixed service charges at restaurants...if they mention a service charge before I go in at least I can then make the choice as to how much I want to eat there....If they don't mention a service charge and then add one on when they present my bill...I take it off.

D

Deleted member 15344

Must admit....if someone in advance told me what I would be expected to tip as "a minimum" I'd probably not bother having a caddy.

Its not that I don't agree with tipping... I'm just not going to be told how much I should tip. Its a bit like fixed service charges at restaurants...if they mention a service charge before I go in at least I can then make the choice as to how much I want to eat there....If they don't mention a service charge and then add one on when they present my bill...I take it off.
Exactly that - I suspect most people want to tip on the service they have received from the caddy - if it’s a good service then it’s a tip earned possibly but at the end of the day you are paying for a caddy to get a service and the caddy provides the service so why the need to tip ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Exactly. For me a tip rewards good service and so to imply you'll pay xx before you've even received that service seems totally wrong. Knowing there's a service charge upfront is totally different to getting the bill and having it plonked on and gives you the choice at the outset

User 99

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
On the Kingsbarns site it clearly states the price of a caddy + Gratuity so I don't believe anyone hiring a caddy there will be unaware they were expected to tip.