Busted. A Cheat Caught

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well perhaps it was bigger than you all thought!!!

Ascot golf club seized after being bought by 'criminal activity'

Reading Chronicle
https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk › news › 24510285...
Aug 10, 2024 — The club, along with a £14 million Knightsbridge house, has been relinquished by the wife of jailed banker Jahangir Hajiyev. This development
Sorry to disappoint but that relates to Mill Ride Golf Club not us

Morfeen75

Visit site
Why? Are you a member of the club. What does it matter to you?
I'm not a million miles away from Royal Ascot and i wouldnt like this person to apply to become a member at my club. As the guy has admitted he's cheated, its only fair that other clubs are made aware of this guy. I'm sure you wouldnt want a known cheat to apply for Royal Ascot would you?

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Losing 13&12 has nothing to do with this fellas handicap increase. Maybe the OPs mate shouldn’t have come out after lunch?
I played in a 36 hole matchplay once was 7 down and lost 12&11 I think - it happens especially in matchplay

A 3 shot HC increase shouldn’t be having that much of a dramatic effect. I was expecting it to be something like 8 shot increase over 2 years

Leftitshort

Visit site
I played in a 36 hole matchplay once was 7 down and lost 12&11 I think - it happens especially in matchplay

A 3 shot HC increase shouldn’t be having that much of a dramatic effect. I was expecting it to be something like 8 shot increase over 2 years
Did you come in and forensically check the other fellas handicap record? You could have got the result overturned.

D-S

Visit site
Seems like he was a pretty poor cheat.
Firstly he was caught, secondly he was too blatant/elaborate, thirdly he just increased his handicap by 3 shots or so.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
WHS may make it easier for people to cheat but these people must have been inclined to cheat previously. The new system does not change people’s behaviour but will allow them to act on their notions. Were these people whiter than white under the old system, only putting in the minimum cards and not really trying in those rounds? Leather wedge, improved lie, miscounted shots?
Allowing someone to act on their notions is exactly changing behaviour.

Furthermore people whether we like it or not are highly imitative and a lot of people's ideas of ethics, cheating, societal duties etc revolve around reciprocity. People will generally behave well when they believe this behaviour will be returned when people see or believe they see others manipulating their handicap they are likely to be less diligent than they should be about their own.

Mm I'm playing Joe Bloggs in the semifinal in a couple of weeks everyone says he's a bandit. I've a couple of low scores at the end of my 20 better get a couple of GP cards in. It's not cheating but it is manipulation.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm not a million miles away from Royal Ascot and i wouldnt like this person to apply to become a member at my club. As the guy has admitted he's cheated, its only fair that other clubs are made aware of this guy. I'm sure you wouldnt want a known cheat to apply for Royal Ascot would you?
The club as far as I understand from the conversation with the GM last night has informed other local clubs. Am I right in thinking it will be flagged somewhere on his WHS/EGU record?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
There will be no naming on this forum. It brings a world of problems that GM would not want to be associated with. I'm sure his name will soon be known locally anyway by simple word of mouth.

D-S

Visit site
The club as far as I understand from the conversation with the GM last night has informed other local clubs. Am I right in thinking it will be flagged somewhere on his WHS/EGU record?
You can put notes on his handicap record but I believe it is recommended that these are not permanent and should be removed after an agreed time. You can set it to alert anyone who looks at the record that there are notes to view.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Allowing someone to act on their notions is exactly changing behaviour.

Furthermore people whether we like it or not are highly imitative and a lot of people's ideas of ethics, cheating, societal duties etc revolve around reciprocity. People will generally behave well when they believe this behaviour will be returned when people see or believe they see others manipulating their handicap they are likely to be less diligent than they should be about their own.

Mm I'm playing Joe Bloggs in the semifinal in a couple of weeks everyone says he's a bandit. I've a couple of low scores at the end of my 20 better get a couple of GP cards in. It's not cheating but it is manipulation.
You actually prove my point - you won't put in those cards (if this is a real example) because you are not dishonest. You would only do it if you were that way inclined and this would have manifested itself before WHS. WHS allows you to act on any dishonest tendencies, it hasn't created them

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You actually prove my point - you won't put in those cards (if this is a real example) because you are not dishonest. You would only do it if you were that way inclined and this would have manifested itself before WHS. WHS allows you to act on any dishonest tendencies, it hasn't created them
My point is that over time more people will behave this way because they will see others doing likewise.
Few people have a belief system/ ethical framework that is constant and unchanging. It changes according to what people see around them.
Personally I have altered when I put in cards based on likelihood of my handicap altering with matches coming up.

Pathetic Shark

Tour Rookie
Visit site
We had a guy at my old club who is now very highly ranked in the county. Played a round on his own which would have tied the course record, asked one of our members to sign his card which he of course refused. The guy then scribbled a signature in the marker's box and then claimed it was someone he met on the 1st tee called Dave but didn't get his surname. We nailed him for it but the GM of the club let it go. The word got round the county though and he has been a marked man ever since.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site

The EG app has allowed situations to occur where people can manipulate their handicap but it needs more than one person

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
But only if they have dishonest tendencies - the app has not created cheats, it may have facilitated them but they must have been dishonest before the system changed.

Before the App it wasn’t easy to manipulate your handicap away from your home course - and it wasn’t easy putting in supplementary cards for many

The APP has made it very easy and that’s exactly what’s happened