Busted. A Cheat Caught

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
But only if they have dishonest tendencies - the app has not created cheats, it may have facilitated them but they must have been dishonest before the system changed.

Agree, as a society we’re given a set of rules that we mustn’t break/breach and we punish only those that are caught doing so. Most of us don’t actually need 99% of these rules/laws and if they didn’t exist it wouldn’t impact or affect our lives one iota. That approach of governance is generally accepted by the majority…

… but it seems this same approach is deemed wholly insufficient by some for ppl who play with a golf handicap and instead we must throw up all kinds of hoops and obstacles to prevent rules breach, without which it’d just be seen as a cheats charter

Most of us knew there was always cheats in golf (a stain but not as bad as football etc) but like to believe it isn't as prolific

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
But only if they have dishonest tendencies - the app has not created cheats, it may have facilitated them but they must have been dishonest before the system changed.
I think if you want to cheat at golf it is easy. How many times on here have we talked about a leather wedge or magic pencil? The app has made it easier to manipulate handicaps and for one of the guys that I mentioned who is new to golf and a golf club I feel sorry they have been caught up in this mess

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
A member at my club was asked to kindly resign his membership a few years back. He joined another local club and often plays now in matches between the two clubs. I've never heard of any bad words being spoken but I guess everyone keeps an eye on him in matches.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Right, but you must see that the easier it is to cheat and get away with it, the more cheats will come out of the woodwork and try it? There will be plenty who didn't cheat under the old system where it was too difficult to do so and get away with it, whereas seeing a new system that's very easy to manipulate will have tempted plenty of dishonest people. As I said before, this chap would have got away with it if he didn't own up I expect.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Are you

Are you implying Arthur has done this?
Not at all. What I am trying to say is that, contrary to some views on here, WHS has not made people cheat. It may have allowed those people who were not the most honest in the first place to act on their cheating tendencies, but it has not created cheats. Same as self service checkouts do not make people shoplift, but does make it easier for those who are a little light fingered to get a bit of five fingered discount.

wjemather

Visit site
Many people (still) find it much easier to fill out a physical scorecard than use an app on their phone. Both can be filled with fictional numbers (from a round that was never played) and forged certification.

Last edited:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Right, but you must see that the easier it is to cheat and get away with it, the more cheats will come out of the woodwork and try it? There will be plenty who didn't cheat under the old system where it was too difficult to do so and get away with it, whereas seeing a new system that's very easy to manipulate will have tempted plenty of dishonest people. As I said before, this chap would have got away with it if he didn't own up I expect.
I do agree that it is now easier, but my argument in this case is the fact that HWS has not turned people into cheats, it is merely allowing those who probably cheated anyway to do it easier and possibly more often. Those people who didn't cheat because it was too difficult before must have thought about it and would have tried if they thought they would get away with it.

Arthur Wedge

Visit site
Not at all. What I am trying to say is that, contrary to some views on here, WHS has not made people cheat. It may have allowed those people who were not the most honest in the first place to act on their cheating tendencies, but it has not created cheats. Same as self service checkouts do not make people shoplift, but does make it easier for those who are a little light fingered to get a bit of five fingered discount.

People aren’t saying that WHS has made people cheat

The App has made it “easier” to cheat

Leftitshort

Visit site
Sorry I misread. Agreed, it has facilitated cheating. There have always been people with a question mark over their behaviour, it’s harder for them to do this in person unless they play with the same group every week. The app has encouraged a form of digital manipulation of handicaps

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Although it's perfectly possible that some have seen how easy it is to manipulate and begun being a cheat as a result.
To say that nobody has been down this route is not provable.
That's exactly what I was saying. Someone may have never considered cheating before, but upon seeing how easy it's become - maybe even been victim of someone else doing it - they're now tempted.

It's like asking 100 people would you pickpocket someone, almost all would say no. But if those same people found a dropped wallet on the ground, would they be tempted to keep the money inside? Suddenly some of them would be tempted. The opportunity creates temptation.