Busted. A Cheat Caught

IanMac

Visit site
It was possible to enter a general play score under the old system. In fact, you could choose after you played whether you wanted to submit a card. Equally possible to cheat.

What has changed is the app has made it much easier to submit fabricated scores. The app is not WHS.
It wasn't possible to enter a random general play card that made your handicap go up. It wouldn't have been added to your record unless you'd be put on some sort of assessment due to an unusual situation.

A card to get your handicap down would have been acceptable but, again, only if it made sense. Low handicappers wouldn't have been allowed to do that.

The previous system wasn't a cheat's charter.

3 jabber

Visit site
It wasn't possible to enter a random general play card that made your handicap go up. It wouldn't have been added to your record unless you'd be put on some sort of assessment due to an unusual situation.

A card to get your handicap down would have been acceptable but, again, only if it made sense. Low handicappers wouldn't have been allowed to do that.

Low handicappers (Cat 1) could only submit general play cards at the end of the season to ensure they got 3 cards in IIRC.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site

Not sure quite what you mean by a "random" general play card....but in England it was quite possible to submit a general play card that made your handicap increase. The only stipulation was that you had to pre-register your intention to submit a score before you played. It didn't matter if the resulting score was good or bad....it went on your record and your handicap changed accordingly.

The only limitation to the supplementary score process was that you could submit just the one general play (supplementary) card in a 7 day period.

"Making sense" had no bearing on the submission of cards. You pre-registered, you played, you returned your score. Your handicap changed or it didnt.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
WHS may make it easier for people to cheat but these people must have been inclined to cheat previously. The new system does not change people’s behaviour but will allow them to act on their notions. Were these people whiter than white under the old system, only putting in the minimum cards and not really trying in those rounds? Leather wedge, improved lie, miscounted shots?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Some general updates:

Aside from one member of the roll up group the cheat played in they are all totally (infraction) off and feel cheated. The one guy is one of those that thinks anything nasty that happens will affect a persons mental health. He has been told a few home truths by his group and others.
The cheat won a 36 hole matchplay 13 & 12 so you can see why the losing finalist may have thought something was amiss. He was 9 down at lunch

One of the people that counter-signed the card has been identified and going through an ongoing club disciplinary process. The other has only been a member of the club a few months and is relatively new to golf so this guy obviously saw him as a soft touch "everyone signs everybodys card" and the guy knowing no better went along with it. Given his circumstances the club have felt it wasn't right to go through the discipline process but have arranged some general WHS education and the consequences of trying to manipulate the system going forward. Apparently he is mortified he has been involved

Morfeen75

Visit site
Some general updates:

Aside from one member of the roll up group the cheat played in they are all totally (infraction) off and feel cheated. The one guy is one of those that thinks anything nasty that happens will affect a persons mental health. He has been told a few home truths by his group and others.
The cheat won a 36 hole matchplay 13 & 12 so you can see why the losing finalist may have thought something was amiss. He was 9 down at lunch

One of the people that counter-signed the card has been identified and going through an ongoing club disciplinary process. The other has only been a member of the club a few months and is relatively new to golf so this guy obviously saw him as a soft touch "everyone signs everybodys card" and the guy knowing no better went along with it. Given his circumstances the club have felt it wasn't right to go through the discipline process but have arranged some general WHS education and the consequences of trying to manipulate the system going forward. Apparently he is mortified he has been involved
Ah the mental health card has been waved, the 21st century version of the 20th century bad back card. Cheats should never prosper.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
A guy in our fuddle was introduced by a guy who has since gone to another club. He was caught cheating and bottom line, one of the lads called him out on our whattsapp group. He has now left our group. I didn’t mind him but a lot of the lads were glad he had left. Problem was for me, was he nicey nicey because he was cheating.
Re the OP, he should not be welcome at the club. He has stolen money off members in fuddles.

Swango1980

Visit site
The thinking from those that played with him regularly is he went from 9 to around 12-13
That 9 may also be higher than it should have been, rather than absolutely represent his ability. That is, if he has posted dodgy rounds previously, before being caught. Not necessarily ficticious rounds. But I can imagine he has had a tendency to miss a few short putts or have disaster holes when he could have done better had he wanted to.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
That 9 may also be higher than it should have been, rather than absolutely represent his ability. That is, if he has posted dodgy rounds previously, before being caught. Not necessarily ficticious rounds. But I can imagine he has had a tendency to miss a few short putts or have disaster holes when he could have done better had he wanted to.
Possibly. I only played with him once in one of these annual matches against the rival roll up group and he could be sporadic but when they looked like losing on the back 9 he did seem to catch fire although that can happen to anyone especially in match play so I wasn't that alarmed and it didn't raise any red flags

Morfeen75

Visit site
Possibly. I only played with him once in one of these annual matches against the rival roll up group and he could be sporadic but when they looked like losing on the back 9 he did seem to catch fire although that can happen to anyone especially in match play so I wasn't that alarmed and it didn't raise any red flags
Whats his name?

Swango1980

Visit site
It is just hard to believe that when someone can go to such lengths to cheat, that they were a model citizen golfer in the scores submitted before those fake rounds.

And, by the sound of some of the scores he has submitted, perhaps he has the ability to be around a 4-6 handicapper, if he really trued his best every round. Even golfers that low can be sporadic