'Budget' Golf Brands

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
Recently I had a look at the new Benross range and I thought that they were great looking clubs and may be worth a try. That said, it got me thinking as to whether the ‘budget’ side of the equipment market had lost its way a bit recently or whether companies such as Benross and MD even see themselves as budget companies anymore. This is not meant as any form of comment on the quality of the gear, I have had Benross, MD and Ben Sayers kit in my bag and found it to be excellent.

When I bought from a budget label (and we are not going back that far) the price point for a driver was under £100, about £60 for a fairway wood and my Benross Pure Red Putter was under £40.00. Now that has increased to £150.00 for a driver and £80.00 for a putter in the new range. That puts their new range of drivers in direct price comparison with last year’s models from the ‘big’ manufacturers and a putter not that much cheaper than a big name alternative. For the price of a new ‘budget’ driver I could buy last year’s Callaway X-Hot, a TM RBZ Stage 2 and a few other options. I am sure in terms of quality there is not that much in it but given the choice of a new budget company driver or last year’s must have kit from a bigger name, most golfers are going to head for the latter and a name they know.

I know the quality of this kit has been improving dramatically with branded shafts and grips etc but has it left a gap at the bottom end of the market that only Dunlop are now looking to fill and are the former budget ranges trying to move up to being full priced manufacturers and is that a good move. Had certain companies found their perfect niche in the market and is there room for them to move into the same league as the bigger manufacturers. Can they even think to do that with nobody using their products on tour?

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
i had a whack with a dunlop Nz9 driver and to be fair, it was very very good!

I have heard nothing but good things from everyone who has tried the NZ9 range. Pity they do not keep them in most (if any) Sports Direct stores as I would probably have a punt on some of their gear at the prices they charge (especially in sale when the hybrids are less than £20.00)

BFL

Club Champion
Visit site
Went to driving range with my brother in law recently and didnt have my clubs and hes got a cheap set of dunlops. Cost about 90 quid all in and I was surprised how nice they felt and how easy they was to hit and launch

SaintHacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have heard nothing but good things from everyone who has tried the NZ9 range. Pity they do not keep them in most (if any) Sports Direct stores as I would probably have a punt on some of their gear at the prices they charge (especially in sale when the hybrids are less than £20.00)

I( have the hybrid in my bag. best £15 Ive spent on a club! I only bought it as I'd never tried a hybrid and wasn't sure how I'd get on, so I got a cheap one thinking I could upgrade if I did ok with it. Absolutely no chance I'm changing it now though.

Coatsy79

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Budget brands are great my buddies MD driver and 3 wood are smashing

But they need to be just that, budget! When they start trying to charge decent money for their stuff the punters will just buy the better known brands

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Shirley,if you are using Whale clubs you are using budget clubs anyway, each to their own.

Use what ever makes you happy or gives results, Ive a mate that uses all sorts of brands, even a couple of Dunlope clubs that cost no more than a couple of quid and he's off 2.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
John Letters were known as a budget brand until recently and have gone through a big makeover and they are now producing some good gear which is still not bank breaking. I still think MD and Benross in particular are still determined to keep costs down and don't advertise or sponsor players and their gear is very, very good and definitely worth a look if you are on a budget

adiemel

Head Pro
Visit site
I brought a Set of Dunlop clubs a year and half ago as a starter set. If it wasn't for sports direct doing them I would never have been able to get a set of clubs and start to learn this wonderful game. I love my clubs

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
The point that I was trying to make is that the cost of budget clubs appears to be creeping up (it was the £80 for a putter that got me) and the cost of last years big brand flcbs has come down so as to create a competition for the middle ground which is harder to win. Forget about the golfer who is happy with whichever suits, there are many who, for example, are given the choice to spend £150 on latest Benross driver or a TM RBZ are going to walk out with theRBZ on name alone. The real budget market has been pretty much left to Dunlop and I am not sure that is the best move for some brands.

Aside from my TM putter, the only brands in my bag are Orka and Benross so I am more than happy to put any brand in play

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I very nearly bought a set of Ben Ross irons a couple of weeks ago until I got my G15's for the same price. I did a bit of reading up on them and also tried them in store and they felt really good and pretty solid.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I very nearly bought a set of Ben Ross irons a couple of weeks ago until I got my G15's for the same price. I did a bit of reading up on them and also tried them in store and they felt really good and pretty solid.

This is exactly the scenario Greg's on about.
G15's - still pretty much as good a SGI club as you can get - at the same price as Benross....
I think the vast majority would pick the Pings....

BFL

Club Champion
Visit site
This is exactly the scenario Greg's on about.
G15's - still pretty much as good a SGI club as you can get - at the same price as Benross....
I think the vast majority would pick the Pings....
I also think it stems down to re saleability. I bought a set of x14 iron recently for 65 quid as a starter set of irons. I know I could have got dunlop ones for a similar price but in 2 years time should I wish to upgrade, I will get more for the callaways than the dunlops

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
I see Dunlop et al mentioned but are we talking 'actual' or what are 'perceived' as a budget brand?

To some:

Benross, MD, Orka and the like may be 'perceived' as cheap when in fact they are pretty solid pieces of kit with excellent components and customer reviews.

The fact they aren't as widely used as other OEM's, nor do they have the other OEM's marketing budget also reflects them in that 'cheaper' light.

palindromicbob

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ah but look at the previous years models compared to the big names previous year and you can still get quality gear for a fraction of the cost. Prime example is the older MD wedge ranges.

GB72

Money List Winner
Visit site
I see Dunlop et al mentioned but are we talking 'actual' or what are 'perceived' as a budget brand?

To some:

Benross, MD, Orka and the like may be 'perceived' as cheap when in fact they are pretty solid pieces of kit with excellent components and customer reviews.

The fact they aren't as widely used as other OEM's, nor do they have the other OEM's marketing budget also reflects them in that 'cheaper' light.

Certainly did not mean budget in a derogatory manner. Certainly you had Benross, MD and Ben Sayers producing clubs at very affordable prices that were far below what TM, Ping, Mizuno etc sold at and certainly I bought them because at the prices they charged you could take a punt (like the £30 my pure roll putter cost new). Slowly the prices have crept up whereas the wide availability of older models from the big brands has effectively created them a mid price range of clubs to compete at level.

shivas irons

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I know the new benross range has decent shafts in them as standard so thats probably why they have crept up.

I bought the rip spees tour irons 3 weeks ago for £229 4-pw dynamic gold r300 shafts.

great deal!
That is a good deal considering most pro shops will charge you £20 for one DG Gold shaft ;)