'Budget' Golf Brands

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
When I went from a mallet putter to a blade last year, rather than spending a lot of money on a putter I might not like, I bought a £15 Dunlop putter. It did me very well whilst I was getting used to the change, and although my recent Odyssey white hot is much easier to hit well (bigger sweet spot I guess?) the Dunlop certainly wasn't bad!!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
I see Dunlop et al mentioned but are we talking 'actual' or what are 'perceived' as a budget brand?

To some:

Benross, MD, Orka and the like may be 'perceived' as cheap when in fact they are pretty solid pieces of kit with excellent components and customer reviews.

The fact they aren't as widely used as other OEM's, nor do they have the other OEM's marketing budget also reflects them in that 'cheaper' light.

Not to cause a massive uproar around ORKA as its very clear how uninformed people are who have never tried any of the gear, but they cant really be called a 'budget' brand. Their prices are only slightly cheaper than the newest version of the mainstream brands (and thats only because they dont spend millions, convincing you that you should 'LOFT UP' to counteract their c*cked up club design)

I can honestly say that when people ask me about clubs to buy for a first set, i usually advise them to buy a second hand set of well known brand irons rather than something from Sports Direct. However, that said, i've never tried any of the Dunlop gear etc, so my opinion (based on the positive comments on this thread) is likely incorrect.

I think its great that brands offer a cheap alternative that allow people to get involved in the game, it can only be a good thing!

Alex1975

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not to cause a massive uproar around ORKA as its very clear how uninformed people are who have never tried any of the gear, but they cant really be called a 'budget' brand. Their prices are only slightly cheaper than the newest version of the mainstream brands (and thats only because they dont spend millions, convincing you that you should 'LOFT UP' to counteract their c*cked up club design)

I can honestly say that when people ask me about clubs to buy for a first set, i usually advise them to buy a second hand set of well known brand irons rather than something from Sports Direct. However, that said, i've never tried any of the Dunlop gear etc, so my opinion (based on the positive comments on this thread) is likely incorrect.

I think its great that brands offer a cheap alternative that allow people to get involved in the game, it can only be a good thing!

I dont consider Orka a budget brand... Almost the opposite. Its far closer to a bespoke product than most.

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not sure if adams is in the budget range ? but brought a 16deg m3 hybrid on Saturday and all I can say is it is an excellent club.:thup:

I hear nothing but great things about Adams, especially their hybrids! They wer obviously doing good things as TaylorMade felt threatened enough to buy them out!

shadowcek

Visit site
I just had to reply to this topic even if it was a little old as I recently bought a few Benross clubs. Please excuse my grammar and diction, english is not my native language.
The OP compares a new Benross driver to last years Cally but being on a budget I just didnt consider their latest gear. The fair comparison is last year Benross vs last year Cally and thats where the brand gets its budget status back. I was able to get the driver, hybrid and irons in an uk eshop with some discount code together for like £250 and being a beginner I am completely satisfied. I hit the clubs better than the borrowed set I played before and on the other hand I just dont have to be overly cautious and afraid of some scars or dents like I would be playing a £150 and £400 iron set.

Last edited:

Craggles89

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I still have my original Dunlop Ag 3 Wood from my starter set. it flys high and straight, so surely no need to replace it. Is there?:confused:

davidg2010uk

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I used to have a Fazer 3 wood which I bought for £5 and can honestly say I have never found a 3 wood I hit better! In years gone by people would keep a set of clubs for 5/10 years then stick them in their garage. Now its the norm to stick them on ebay after 12 months so 2nd hand "brands" are easy to come by, and some cracking prices to be had.

Dave B

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Last week while shopping with the wife we were in Sports Direct and I found a Dunlop Tour Elite 64 degree wedge which has possibly the most aggressive spin milled face I've come across. At £8 for a club that I may use occasionally or put in my spare holiday set which I keep up north I thought, why not?

I used it last week and not only did it clear a very tight bunker it also spun the ball back leaving me 2ft short of the flag. It feels good off the face and apart from the cheap grip it's a surprisingly good club. It also has a TT shaft to boot.

The new Dunlop DP1 3 piece urethane balls are also getting very good reviews and at £12 a dozen, I'll be trying them soon.