Budget 2021. What 1 change would you make?

GuyInLyon

Visit site
The Irish rate was implemented before EU legislation imposed reduced VAT rates on certain goods and services. This legislation has prevented other EU members, like the UK, from reducing their VAT rate on sanitary products to 0%.
Then the rate should be reduced to 0.1 percent across the board.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Then the rate should be reduced to 0.1 percent across the board.
The limit is 5% which is why the UK govt reduced it to that level. They were unable to go below 5%, as were all other countries from the moment the directive was brought in. At least the UK govt actually took it to 5%, unlike most others. The question of why VAT was on them in the first place is a whole other debate but at least that has been resolved here now.

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
They're expensive cars driven, usually quite badly, by people with too much money.
Expensive - they were expensive cars but aren't anymore. Quick glance at Autotrader says dealer price for a 4 year old BMW 330 is about £16K. List price for a new Ford Fiesta starts at £17K. If I was in the market for a car 17K car, between those two it would be the used beemer every time.
Driven badly - sometimes, just like every other car.
By people with too much money - see above. In three more years the beemer will have depreciated less than the fiesta.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just a question , I'm sure somebody will know more. Tax based on emissions was to encourage people to move to lower co2 producing cars (never got that .. £150 tax a year or £30 really not going to make me switch cars if I like it) anyways wasn't this to meet EU emissions standards .. which we are no longer part of? So we could scrap the system and start a fresh

However id say electric cars would be free for a while as they want people to switch

Who knows

Twas a bit of an ouch for me. I switched a to newer model of the same vehicle last year with a switch from diesel to petrol and went from £30 to £150. £150 is a bit of an ouch when you are a very low mileage driver.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Twas a bit of an ouch for me. I switched a to newer model of the same vehicle last year with a switch from diesel to petrol and went from £30 to £150. £150 is a bit of an ouch when you are a very low mileage driver.

What I mean is say ur paying £150 a year low mileage driver

Will you spend money to change cars to save £120 a year

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

I did originally when swapping from a £225 road tax to £30, it was also a bit of gas guzzler as well. Thinking about how much it was costing me to run out for the day was making me stop at home more and more.

Mandofred

Visit site

My wife's father might. Tight git like you have never seen. He might just cut off a toe so he can buy a cheaper pair of shoes..... Oh....and he's from Yorkshire:)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
why? apart from i assume you havent been furloughed

Strongly disagree with it, these guys have lived off 80% income (or less in a higher paid job) to help keep jobs going just so unemployment looks lower

Then they start working again and bamn here is s tax bill?

People moan about an unfair society where big companies pay little but the little man pays big but this would be a step to even more unfair

GuyInLyon

Visit site
Expensive - they were expensive cars but aren't anymore. Quick glance at Autotrader says dealer price for a 4 year old BMW 330 is about £16K. List price for a new Ford Fiesta starts at £17K. If I was in the market for a car 17K car, between those two it would be the used beemer every time.
Driven badly - sometimes, just like every other car.
By people with too much money - see above. In three more years the beemer will have depreciated less than the fiesta.
They're more expensive than comparable cheaper cars of the same age. You're trying to compare a used BMW with a new Ford Fiesta.
Driven badly, usually, by some boy racer, or an oldie that acts like a boy racer.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
The limit is 5% which is why the UK govt reduced it to that level. They were unable to go below 5%, as were all other countries from the moment the directive was brought in. At least the UK govt actually took it to 5%, unlike most others. The question of why VAT was on them in the first place is a whole other debate but at least that has been resolved here now.
It'll be able to go down to zero in 2022.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
They're more expensive than comparable cheaper cars of the same age. You're trying to compare a used BMW with a new Ford Fiesta.
Driven badly, usually, by some boy racer, or an oldie that acts like a boy racer.

For sure, but someone with a budget, looks at options within the budget.

Previously expensive car, less depreciation, or new car, that will depreciate like a stone dropped in a pond. Previously expensive car has leather, gadgets, nice trim, budget car is cheap, plasticky, furry seats.

It's no comparison, unless you want that new car feeling. Which lasts about a week.