Custom Fit Irons in exact specs or budget Irons in close specs (high handicapper)

1995corey

Visit site
Hi. I started playing 6 months ago and am well and truly hooked. Playing at least twice a week and sometimes more.

Started with a Wilson Ultra XD 1" Longer Package set, and have gradually upgraded everything with second hand eBay buys, the last thing remaining is the irons.

Usually shooting anywhere in the 100-110 range and play to a 27HDCP (submitted 5 cards so far).

I've had a couple of 'mini fittings' from 2 different experienced fitters, and have been advised 1.5" longer than standard, 3 degrees upright, and a stiff shaft would be ideal. Current irons are 1" longer and 3 degrees upright with a regular flex shaft. My swing speed with a 7I is about 95 (27/m).

Found some Wilson Staff D7 Forged irons, 5-PW, 1" Longer, S300 130g shaft, standard lie angle, for £340 (budget option). Looking at reviews it's all positive, a very forgiving model for high handicappers but a big step above my cheap package set irons. Only issue is the specs are slightly off. With them being forged I'm guessing the lie angle can be adjusted. The length is supposedly too short but I've been playing with 1" longer just fine so far.

My local pro has also offered to do a set of Srixon ZX5's (Hit these a few times and love the feel), 5-PW, 1.5" longer (never tried hitting 1.5" longer before), 3 degrees upright, and shaft TBC depending on the fitting (he mentioned at my stage 105-120g would probably suit better than 130g). The ZX5 are £800, £500 deposit and 3x monthly payments of £100. Looking online its a competitve and good price, with 0% interest payments to lessen the blow. He is obviously trying to make the sale and is telling me not to go near the Wilson d7's.

The question is, as someone who is shooting 100-110, swing changing pretty much every week, should I 'cheap out' and go for the D7 Forged irons, with the heavy 130g shaft and 0.5" 'too short' for me, and try to get better with them...
OR, should I invest in a proper fitting, and buy brand new custom sticks in my exact specs.

The money isn't really the main focus here, rather if its silly to be buying a brand new custom set at my level, or if its a smart investment.

all advice welcome,
thank-you

Biggleswade Blue

Head Pro
Visit site
Standard advice on the forum as to the best value for money if you want to get better is:

i) spend the money on lessons
ii) practice what you are working on the lessons
iii) go to i)

Having said that, if you want new clubs, why not. But they won’t lower your scores!

I’m a similar level to you. I am now making good progress though, which absolutely would not have happened without the lessons.

A series of lesson might cost up to £300 and if you practice you’ll improve more from that than from £1000 for new clubs.

Though of course, new clubs are very nice!

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
As above. I would agree that some coaching is essential.

But, so is having the right equipment. I presume you are quite tall having been recommended those specs.

I would say in your case, there is a very good argument for playing the correct equipment.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If money is really not an issue I’d go with the srixons. Just had a look and they are nice, could certainly last you a while.

Is that swing speed with a 7 iron in mph? That is seriously fast if so, wouldn’t surprise me if you need x-stiff.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Hi. I started playing 6 months ago and am well and truly hooked. Playing at least twice a week and sometimes more.

Started with a Wilson Ultra XD 1" Longer Package set, and have gradually upgraded everything with second hand eBay buys, the last thing remaining is the irons.

Usually shooting anywhere in the 100-110 range and play to a 27HDCP (submitted 5 cards so far).

I've had a couple of 'mini fittings' from 2 different experienced fitters, and have been advised 1.5" longer than standard, 3 degrees upright, and a stiff shaft would be ideal. Current irons are 1" longer and 3 degrees upright with a regular flex shaft. My swing speed with a 7I is about 95 (27/m).

Found some Wilson Staff D7 Forged irons, 5-PW, 1" Longer, S300 130g shaft, standard lie angle, for £340 (budget option). Looking at reviews it's all positive, a very forgiving model for high handicappers but a big step above my cheap package set irons. Only issue is the specs are slightly off. With them being forged I'm guessing the lie angle can be adjusted. The length is supposedly too short but I've been playing with 1" longer just fine so far.

My local pro has also offered to do a set of Srixon ZX5's (Hit these a few times and love the feel), 5-PW, 1.5" longer (never tried hitting 1.5" longer before), 3 degrees upright, and shaft TBC depending on the fitting (he mentioned at my stage 105-120g would probably suit better than 130g). The ZX5 are £800, £500 deposit and 3x monthly payments of £100. Looking online its a competitve and good price, with 0% interest payments to lessen the blow. He is obviously trying to make the sale and is telling me not to go near the Wilson d7's.

The question is, as someone who is shooting 100-110, swing changing pretty much every week, should I 'cheap out' and go for the D7 Forged irons, with the heavy 130g shaft and 0.5" 'too short' for me, and try to get better with them...
OR, should I invest in a proper fitting, and buy brand new custom sticks in my exact specs.

The money isn't really the main focus here, rather if its silly to be buying a brand new custom set at my level, or if its a smart investment.

all advice welcome,
thank-you

I would advise not buying anything for a while. Your swing is evolving and will change further, but in the meantime the clubs you have will do fine.

One thing I would point out, though, is that as clubs get longer, the lie needs to flatten to balance the greater length. The normal change in length from an 8 iron to a 7 iron, say, is the longer club is 1/2" length and 1/2 degree flatter. Clubs that are 1" over therefore usually need an extra 1 degree flatness, so clubs that are 3 degrees up and 1" longer are really 4 degrees up compared to normal standard. That sounds freakishly upright to me, with a 3 iron more upright than a sand wedge would normally be.

VVega

Assistant Pro
Visit site
FWIW, I’ve gone the full circle - from American golf “fitting” to fitted at the brands centre to fitted by a pro fitter and custom built and back to off the shelf. ?

Was previously fitted for longer shafts and up lie. Now playing standard. Don’t think I’m missing anything.