Budget 2021. What 1 change would you make?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Not one thing I know but I'd..

Cut vat to 17.5%.. boost spending
Increase duty on fuel
Tax breaks for work forces to encourage people back to work from WFH because let's face it the economy is built on people being in work.. ofc offer like a 70/30 split but still
Increase tax on companies like Amazon

Beedee

Assistant Pro
Visit site
What car do you drive?
A car where the jealousy tax applies. I admit self interest ;)

However while I can just about see why you would tax the owner of a brand new expensive car more heavily, it feels wrong to tax the 2nd or 3rd owner of that car more heavily just because it was once expensive. A 4 year old audi a4/bmw 3 series/ etc with a few toys is not an expensive car driven by people with too much money.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I kind of agree but mainly because I feel it should go back to the amount of emissions.

Alternatively, the weight of a car would be an idea. Big car, more damage to the roads.

Far too many massive 4x4 style cars around where there is no need for them.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I kind of agree but mainly because I feel it should go back to the amount of emissions.

Alternatively, the weight of a car would be an idea. Big car, more damage to the roads.

Far too many massive 4x4 style cars around where there is no need for them.

It is still done on emissions just the over 40k cars are taxed more

However weight is a good point as electric cars are very heavy due to the weight on battery and even a telsa (40k plus) is tax free

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
It is still done on emissions just the over 40k cars are taxed more

However weight is a good point as electric cars are very heavy due to the weight on battery and even a telsa (40k plus) is tax free
At the moment the system is obsessed with tail pipe emissions. As more electric cars come into the mix, reducing tax income, that will move to other methods of taxation. It has to. Enjoy it whilst it lasts though (y)

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
At the moment the system is obsessed with tail pipe emissions. As more electric cars come into the mix, reducing tax income, that will move to other methods of taxation. It has to. Enjoy it whilst it lasts though (y)

Just a question , I'm sure somebody will know more. Tax based on emissions was to encourage people to move to lower co2 producing cars (never got that .. £150 tax a year or £30 really not going to make me switch cars if I like it) anyways wasn't this to meet EU emissions standards .. which we are no longer part of? So we could scrap the system and start a fresh

However id say electric cars would be free for a while as they want people to switch

Who knows

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just a question , I'm sure somebody will know more. Tax based on emissions was to encourage people to move to lower co2 producing cars (never got that .. £150 tax a year or £30 really not going to make me switch cars if I like it) anyways wasn't this to meet EU emissions standards .. which we are no longer part of? So we could scrap the system and start a fresh

However id say electric cars would be free for a while as they want people to switch

Who knows
Car mfrs still need to ship across the EU, most UK production is exported, so whatever is made has to meet those emission levels. The UK govt has signed up to meet various eco targets and to do this they need to push people out of petrol and diesel and into electric. Taxing these cars out of reach is one method (it is what they are doing in terms of company cars for example) Road tax wont make people change their minds but BIK tax rates on company drivers, huge market, will.

I see it being a little like solar panels. Big incentives at the beginning then they get removed as too many people take up those incentives. Electric car take up is more complicated but you get the gist.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Car mfrs still need to ship across the EU, most UK production is exported, so whatever is made has to meet those emission levels. The UK govt has signed up to meet various eco targets and to do this they need to push people out of petrol and diesel and into electric. Taxing these cars out of reach is one method (it is what they are doing in terms of company cars for example) Road tax wont make people change their minds but BIK tax rates on company drivers, huge market, will.

I see it being a little like solar panels. Big incentives at the beginning then they get removed as too many people take up those incentives. Electric car take up is more complicated but you get the gist.

Very true, I'm enjoying cheap charging ATM and free public charging but I know it won't be free public charging for long and cheap charging will just go flat rate

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Very true, I'm enjoying cheap charging ATM and free public charging but I know it won't be free public charging for long and cheap charging will just go flat rate
Funnily enough the local council to me have just ended free charging in public car parks. I didn't realise it was free :oops:. Bloomin free loaders :LOL:

GuyInLyon

Visit site
Only problem with that is the rich then use expensive accountants to move their money into offshore tax avoidance schemes, leaving the lower brackets to foot the bill as usual
They're not paying anything now, so if half of them move their money off-shore (as if the money isn't off-shore already) you'll get more in taxes from the few that stay.

Oh, and change things so that money made in the UK is taxed in the UK, and cannot be sent off-shore.

End the "non-dom" status.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ireland has a zero percent tax rate on feminine sanitary products, and any country in the EU could do the same.
The text below was taken from an Irish online newspaper.

sanitary products tax in Europe, showing that the five countries with the highest Tampon Tax are:

Hungary - 27%, Norway - 25%, Sweden - 25%, Denmark - 25%, Croatia - 25%.

Research also revealed the countries with the lowest Tampon Tax:

Republic of Ireland - 0%, UK - 5%, France 5.5%, Netherlands - 6%, Belgium - 6%.

Tampons and sanitary towels are not subject to VAT in Ireland which has a zero rate treatment on women’s sanitary products.

The Irish rate was implemented before EU legislation imposed reduced VAT rates on certain goods and services. This legislation has prevented other EU members, like the UK, from reducing their VAT rate on sanitary products to 0%.