Budget 2021. What 1 change would you make?

Grizzly

Visit site
I think there should be some tax breaks for frontline public servants (NHS, law enforcement, fire and teachers) who have bourne the brunt of the pandemic but look set to now also be the ones to pay for it with pay freezes and tax rises.

And if I were to offer one which is less personal, I would switch the burden of Stamp Duty from the buyer to the seller. That would help first time buyers and unglue the housing market.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Govt / Treasury forecasts are notoriously questionable. It's guesswork. It might be educated guesswork but guesswork is what it ultimately comes down to. Don't be tricked into thinking they are all seeing and knowing.
I said “ hazard a guess” but find it unrealistic, optimistic and should be held to account at a later date and totally unacceptable if wrong.

Similar to Mrs 3OTT say 56 mince pies in the freezer when I knew there were 70+ Lord T. Almost divorceable offence!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I said “ hazard a guess” but find it unrealistic, optimistic and should be held to account at a later date and totally unacceptable if wrong.

Similar to Mrs 3OTT say 56 mince pies in the freezer when I knew there were 70+ Lord T. Almost divorceable offence!
Forecasts are a bit of a bugbear of mind. Whether treasury forecasts, job forecasts, promises made for new developments etc. Most people just take them on face value and nod blindly. I wish more would be reviewed at a later date and people questioned about them, as you suggest.

I don't know what to say about your second paragraph o_O. That level of deception on such a critical subject :mad:. You are a stronger man than me :LOL: (I may have been a little excitable with the number of emojis used, apologies)

Kellfire

Blackballed
Visit site
I think there should be some tax breaks for frontline public servants (NHS, law enforcement, fire and teachers) who have bourne the brunt of the pandemic but look set to now also be the ones to pay for it with pay freezes and tax rises.

And if I were to offer one which is less personal, I would switch the burden of Stamp Duty from the buyer to the seller. That would help first time buyers and unglue the housing market.
Careful now, you’re verging into communism here. ;)

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I kind of agree but mainly because I feel it should go back to the amount of emissions.

Alternatively, the weight of a car would be an idea. Big car, more damage to the roads.

Far too many massive 4x4 style cars around where there is no need for them.
People are already paying a lot of car tax that isn't being used to fix the roads, why should they pay more not to to fix the roads.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
What do you drive @GuyInLyon that prevents you from being bounder
Surely those stereotypes are a thing of the past?

I drive a 2020 Seat Ibiza. Lovely car.
As to stereotypes, in almost 50 years of driving there are certain brands of cars that I've found to be, generally, in the hands of bounders.
BMWs and Audis are definitely in that group.
Strangely, I've usually found that Corvettes are usually driven slowly by older drivers.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
I drive a 2020 Seat Ibiza. Lovely car.
As to stereotypes, in almost 50 years of driving there are certain brands of cars that I've found to be, generally, in the hands of bounders.
BMWs and Audis are definitely in that group.
Strangely, I've usually found that Corvettes are usually driven slowly by older drivers.

In my experience Seats are normally driven my baseball cap wearing chavs who think their 1.0L Ibiza is a Cupra R. So that must mean its true and that you yourself have a Burberry cap stashed in your door bin.

Funny things stereo types. I drive a BMW, never fail to use the correct lane or indicate when required.

GuyInLyon

Visit site
In my experience Seats are normally driven my baseball cap wearing chavs who think their 1.0L Ibiza is a Cupra R. So that must mean its true and that you yourself have a Burberry cap stashed in your door bin.
Funny things stereo types. I drive a BMW, never fail to use the correct lane or indicate when required.
Everyone has their own experiences, but here in France I don't believe that I've seen a "chav," although I do know what they are.
I wouldn't touch a Burberry cap with a ten foot pole.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

But that doesn't stop you being and absolute bounder still:LOL:

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
Everyone has their own experiences, but here in France I don't believe that I've seen a "chav," although I do know what they are.
I wouldn't touch a Burberry cap with a ten foot pole.

Exactly, everyone has their own experiences. It doesn't make them representative, or true in any way.

Just because you've seen BMW drivers be tits there will be hundreds, if not hundreds of thousands that are not tits.