British Masters

kevster84

Head Pro
Visit site
Apologies if I have missed this on another post.

I am attending the British Masters on the Thursday. Having never been before to this event, or any others, I am looking for advice on how best to view and spend the day. Has anyone got any experience of Walton Heath?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
No idea about Walton Heath but I went to this tournament in the NE last year. Get there early, there is lots to see and they go off early. Have a look at the groups and see if there is any you fancy. If so make a bee line. If not, speak to a marshall, there will be loads of them, and ask their advice. I found them really helpful last year, they will be golfers from nearby clubs and chatting passes the time for them. They will tell you which places are good to be. Then it is a matter of getting out there.

I did not follow a particular group but chose certain holes. I wanted to see a booming tee shot so I stood behind the tee on a par 5. Next I wanted to see an approach shot so I stood for a while on a par 4, the landing area for the tee shots. Next up, behind the tee on a par 3 and then behind the green on a par 3. You get the gist. Pick what you like and choose your hole accordingly.

If you want to follow a group be smart about it. If Rory is there, don't know, then it will be tough to see as he is like the Pied Piper. Rose will be the same this year. If you want to see one of them, plan ahead, pick your spot and make sure no one can push in front of you. Let them come to you rather than you follow them. Pick someone not as popular and you will be fine. Last year the big groups were Rory and then Westwood, he was the host. No one else had a following of any note so it was easy to see the big names.

If you are lucky there may be a section where you can see 2-3 holes at once, tee, green etc. They are good places to be as there is always something happening.

Check the weather, wear the correct gear (shoes in particular) and enjoy. I had a great day last year, it is brilliant to see these people up close.

Steve Bamford

Head Pro
www.golfbettingsystem.co.uk

Garush34

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm the opposite to the guys above, I like to follow a group around the course. I like to see a round develop and see a variety of shots played throughout the day. I usually start at the first and wait for a group that has a couple of guys I like then set off. I get that seeing certain shot appeals to some but for me seeing the pros hit driver after driver gets boring after a while, because they all hit it so good.

Also get yourself down to the range and watch the guys warm up, its good to see them and the different routines they all go through. Hopefully you get the good weather for it, I'm away to the Dunhill tomorrow and cant wait to get to see some live golf in person again.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Walton Heath is actually quite a good course to watch several holes. I'd recommend, after watching the practice area which is quite a way from the course, getting to the 6th green (probably the 4th in the tournament as they'll probably use the 'Ryder' Cup course which doesn't use the Old Course 1st (thus avoiding the need to cross the road during the round) nor the 3rd (replacing them with 12 and 13 - as a Par 4 - of the New Course - 2 great holes!).

In that position, you'll see shots into and putting on (assuming RC course) 4 (a really tricky green!), tee shots on the Par 3 5th and be a short walk away from 7th green and several other holes!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
I personally think it's a good opportunity to follow a group when you go to a tournament. At least for part of the day.

Obviously trying to follow the main marquee group, it is going to be tough to do as so many others will be around. But there will still be plenty of opportunity to pick an early group. I like to stay ahead of the play and try and see back up to the tee and then see the shots land. Then walk ahead to the green. Ideally try and get right behind the green as you will get the best view of them playing their approach.

If you do stay at the same place then again, pick a shorter par 4 or par 3 where you can get a vantage point and see the approaches. The longer holes it could be difficult to see who is playing the approach and you just see a ball land on the green.

Walton Heath hosts quite a few pro events so I'd assume they will have a clear walking route to follow and will probably give out maps on the way in.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Walton Heath hosts quite a few pro events so I'd assume they will have a clear walking route to follow and will probably give out maps on the way in.
Apart from the US Open Qualifying, which, from (dodgy) memory will go somewhere else from next year, WH host considerably more 'prestige Amateur' events than Pro ones. Obviously, the Ryder Cup (in 1981) and the Senior Open in 2011, but not many Pro events between or since!

Grant85

Head Pro
Visit site
Apart from the US Open Qualifying, which, from (dodgy) memory will go somewhere else from next year, WH host considerably more 'prestige Amateur' events than Pro ones. Obviously, the Ryder Cup (in 1981) and the Senior Open in 2011, but not many Pro events between or since!

I'm sure this has been an open qualifying event in a lot of years.

Ok, maybe not so many. but they still have events with spectators every year, and will have much of the expertise on the ET that organise big events every season with large numbers of spectators.

In my experience, 2014 RC, 2018 Scottish Open and 2018 Open - spectator experience in terms of logistics has been excellent in all cases.

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site

I have seen a very early copy of the map and there will be a walking route round the course. Unlike the US Open qualifiers, the course will be roped, so, as WH do not like the public walking in the heather, the route may be a distance from some fairways in places.

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Agree with the suggestions about getting to the range, well worth it.

You can download a map from here:

www.britishmastersgolf.com/event-information/

When we went for the Senior Open in 2011 the route from the public car park dumped you by the 8th green / 9th tee which was a decent place to watch groups come through. Plus the area around the 9th green / 10th tee looks like a decent one.

The BM is a good tourney to watch as, when we went 2 years ago, it felt like an event for golf fans whereas the PGA at Wentworth feels more and more like a tournament for the event crowd who are only interested in following Rory.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Been to watch US qualifying there with no ropes so easy to move about and get to different groups. Not sure how easy it'll be especially if they rope off heather areas too. Will still be worth going as watching the pros hit a ball is a joy to behold. Well worth a trip to the range and watching them hit shots

GaryK

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm also attending on Thursday and will be my first time as a spectator.

There doesn't appear to be any information as to any restrictions on what you can take into the event, so any advice would be very welcome.
I'm thinking of taking the following:
- lightweight folding camping chair
- backpack
- food
- drinks (non-alcoholic)
- my golf clubs in case there are any late withdrawals from the competition :ROFLMAO:

Tongo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I'm also attending on Thursday and will be my first time as a spectator.

There doesn't appear to be any information as to any restrictions on what you can take into the event, so any advice would be very welcome.
I'm thinking of taking the following:
- lightweight folding camping chair
- backpack
- food
- drinks (non-alcoholic)
- my golf clubs in case there are any late withdrawals from the competition :ROFLMAO:

You should be okay taking all those. (maybe not the golf clubs!) Me and my old man generally take a backpack with food and drink. They'll probably search the bag but there's no issue with bringing some tucker. You should be okay with the chair as well as long as it isnt enormous!

I did note that you cant take photos this week which is different to the PGA at Wentworth earlier in the year when photos with mobile phones could be taken as long as they didnt make a noise, didnt use flash etc.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
For reasons that wont interest anyone I follow Marcel Siem on Facebook. He has just posted that he thinks Walton Heath is the best set up of a golf course he has seen so far this year.

On a separate note, is anyone watching the Nick Dougherty tips on Sky? There was some good stuff on there.

howbow88

Hacker
Visit site
Even watching bits on the Pro-Am, you can see that the greens appear to be quicker than lightning. It also just looks in wonderful shape, when the cameras from above pan out.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
What kind of crowds does the British Masters get on the first day normally? If they're not ridiculously large then get out and see 'Molliwood' for a few holes - I've seen a fair bit of both Francisco and Tommy live this year and not only are they both great golfers but they are really nice guys who are very crowd friendly.

Way i do it normally when I watch or photograph golf is to wander with a group for a few holes then move onto another group, they tend to stack groups of decent players one after the other for TV - maybe stopping for a rest and a watch at a nice hole where you can see a fair bit of the action - normally a par three.

Have a good time