The open - few questions

AdamW

Visit site
This will be the first golf event we are going to watch.

Just wondering what time the action is likely to finish on the sat and a good time to leave ? Looking to book a restaurant for after.

Says the gates open at 7 but not sure what first tee times would be?

Any advice would be appreciated

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
It’s after the cut, so first tee time will be around 8:00 ish, leaders going out around 1 pm so a finish around 5:30
But allow time for a play off, rain delay etc, but should be done n dusted by 7:00
It’s a long day, you’ll be knackered.

How are you getting there? Staying local, car?
It’s likely that every decent restaurant within 5 miles will already be booked, so you might have to travel a bit as there will be 24999 other hungry peeps looking for a nose bag.

Oh and it’s “The Open”. enjoy, you’ll have a blast 👍

AdamW

Visit site
It’s after the cut, so first tee time will be around 8:00 ish, leaders going out around 1 pm so a finish around 5:30
But allow time for a play off, rain delay etc, but should be done n dusted by 7:00
It’s a long day, you’ll be knackered.

How are you getting there? Staying local, car?
It’s likely that every decent restaurant within 5 miles will already be booked, so you might have to travel a bit as there will be 24999 other hungry peeps looking for a nose bag.

Oh and it’s “The Open”. enjoy, you’ll have a blast 👍
Brilliant thanks very much that is very helpful.

Staying in the middle of Manchester and travelling down by car.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
This will be the first golf event we are going to watch.

Just wondering what time the action is likely to finish on the sat and a good time to leave ? Looking to book a restaurant for after.

Says the gates open at 7 but not sure what first tee times would be?

Any advice would be appreciated
If you are staying in the area, which side of the Mersey?

wjemather

Visit site
Tee times on Saturday depend on the number of players making the cut but going by recent years, the first group will be sometime between 8:00-9:30am, and the last between 3 and 4pm - expect them to finish about 4.5-5 hours after that.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Tee times on Saturday depend on the number of players making the cut but going by recent years, the first group will be sometime between 8:00-9:30am, and the last between 3 and 4pm - expect them to finish about 4.5-5 hours after that.
Do they go out in pairs at the weekend?

AdamW

Visit site
Sounds like might be a bit tricky to book somewhere for a certain time.

Phil saying around 19:00 should be finished with a bit of margin

wjemather prediction would be around 20:00-21:00

Anyone have any experience how long it takes to get out with the public transport queues , should I be giving it an hour?

thank you for everyones help

wjemather

Visit site
Do they go out in pairs at the weekend?
Yes, play is in two-balls unless there is a reason to do otherwise - The R&A deemed there was at Hoylake in 2014 when storms were forecast on the Saturday and they switched to three-balls and even had a two-tee start.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes, play is in two-balls unless there is a reason to do otherwise - The R&A deemed there was at Hoylake in 2014 when storms were forecast on the Saturday and they switched to three-balls and even had a two-tee start.
I think the 2 balls should be round in 4 hours.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Google is your friend here.

Without doubt travel by train to Hoylake Train station. No brainier and they will be full, absolutely rammed. There are plenty from Central Liverpool where you are staying.

The trains are every 10 minutes take 31 minutes and the return cost from Liverpool Central to Hoylake cost £5.40. You MUST book your tickets before, even today, as the ticketing queues on the day will be horrendous

There are plenty of restaurants nearby and Chinatown is close. Book on a Saturday to ensure a table and eat in Central Liverpool.

AdamW

Visit site
Google is your friend here.

Without doubt travel by train to Hoylake Train station. No brainier and they will be full, absolutely rammed. There are plenty from Central Liverpool where you are staying.

The trains are every 10 minutes take 31 minutes and the return cost from Liverpool Central to Hoylake cost £5.40. You MUST book your tickets before, even today, as the ticketing queues on the day will be horrendous

There are plenty of restaurants nearby and Chinatown is close. Book on a Saturday to ensure a table and eat in Central Liverpool.
Thanks for this did not think to book train in advanced thought they would be that frequent could just jump on 😂. Other option is taxi I guess which might also be a massive challenge

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
If you’re staying in Hanover St in Liverpool, get the train over. Just a walk up to the station, much easier than driving. If you drive you will have to park in the official car park and use the park and ride which you will have to wait for buses for etc.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hanover st, liverpool is right. (Had not fully woken up)
Many choices in L'pool and I'm a bit out of touch. My son tells me the Malmaison near Princes Dock is a good steakhouse. NB Traffic to the tunnel could be heavy.
Bistro 115 in New Brighton on the Hoylake side is great. But I would book asap.

3offTheTee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Thanks for this did not think to book train in advanced thought they would be that frequent could just jump on 😂. Other option is taxi I guess which might also be a massive challenge
Not just a challenge but price. It will be quicker, relaxing by train. You will have an additional cost for The Tunnel I think. No idea how far from the entrance will you end up being dropped off. The trains are every 10 minutes but getting through the barrier and the queue will be the problem