The open - few questions

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Last edited:

Bazzatron

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The park and ride were handled really well at RSG a few years back. Didn't have to wait long at either side of the day.
We got there early and settled for an hour or two at the grandstand behind the first green, saw loads of early starters come through and then eventually followed Rory. It really is a great day

Red devil

Visit site
Thanks for this did not think to book train in advanced thought they would be that frequent could just jump on 😂. Other option is taxi I guess which might also be a massive challenge
You don't book a ticket like on the inter-city trains just buy your ticket the day before saves queueing the next day. Don't forget to tell ticket staff you want it for the next day. You can also buy a digital ticket for same day if you've a smartphone

sunshine

Visit site
Park & Ride systems have always been slick at The Open.

Most Open venues are small seaside towns which lack the infrastructure to support a major sporting event with hundreds of thousands of people. The golf courses are private members clubs used to accommodating a hundred people for the monthly medal.

Keeping this context in mind, the organisers / local police do an excellent job of managing traffic and crowds through the park and ride. Just remember that it will be chaos because the venue is not designed for 70,000 people like Wembley stadium.

I think Hoylake is a bit different, because Liverpool is much more accessible, but it will still have its challenges.

AdamW

Visit site
Would park and ride be a better option than the train from Liverpool to Hoylake in terms of waiting and queues?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Would park and ride be a better option than the train from Liverpool to Hoylake in terms of waiting and queues?
IMO yes. I was there in 2014 and the P&R was very efficient but I didn't try the train.
Will any railway employees be striking ?

Edit: didn't

Last edited:

Redtraveller

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally I would say no. It’s a 5 min walk to the station from where you’re staying. A direct train straight there. Driving you need to go through the tunnel which will likely be very busy. Then your not driving right to the course but to a car park which you them have to get a bus. As people have said the park and rides for the open are usually very slick but for me personally I think the train would be much easier

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Me and my mates are driving in and using the P&R but we're staying near Cheshire Oaks at a very fancy Hostel (lol) for a whopping £70 total :ROFLMAO: £17.50pp.... bargain